Fleet Feet
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 54m 36s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Well, I meant to sign up the day before. But the race was closed. Who knew? The RD said we could just show up and run, anyway. No results, of course. I was fine with that. We then headed to the Japanese restaurant and chowed up some sushi. My favorite pre-race meal.
Event warmup:

I probably should have jogged around at least, but just hung around chatting with friends. Since I wasn't "official," I wasn't planning on actually racing.
Run
  • 54m 36s
  • 5 miles
  • 10m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

I originally planned to run the 17 miles, but my adductor continues to be bothersome, so I dropped down to the 5 miles. Since I didn't have a warmup, my start was slow. I slopped through the mud on the lower part of the course and ended up losing a shoe in one large mud puddle. A guy behind me retrieved it, I pulled it back on and got going again. As I loosened up, I sped up and started passing people, especially on the up hills. I ran all of them. Even though I wasn't "racing" because it was unofficial, I started pushing on the downhills and flats. In fact, toward the end, I really started to feel it. Especially as it started to really warm up.

The run reminded me, though, how much I love to run on trails. I'm looking forward to the trail race down in Laurel in 2 weeks. And I would love to run on those mountain bike trails again, but I'm afraid I would get lost. I don't think I would ever ride a bike on them, though. Wow.
What would you do differently?:

Actually register for the race. Yeesh.
Post race
Warm down:

Big latte at Fusions.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No warmup. Losing my shoe.

Event comments:

I didn't partake of the post-race food since I didn't pay to run. It was a very laid back atmosphere. Really nice for a change.

Last updated: 2010-02-17 12:00 AM
Running
00:54:36 | 05 miles | 10m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
I would like to believe the course was longer than 5 miles. I should have worn my Garmin. I was the 6th woman overall (unofficially).
Course: The run was on the Ridgeland mountain bike trails. Single track, lots of turns, pretty hilly with some long climbs. The lower end of the course was pretty muddy in places, but overall it wasn't too bad. I surprised myself by not tripping every third step. I haven't totally lost my trail running mo-jo.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?