General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Richardson Texas Questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-02-22 11:46 AM

San Jose, CA
Subject: Richardson Texas Questions
Hey Texas BT'ers,
I am spending the next two weeks in Richardson on business and wanted to get some input on running locations. Luckily there is a 24hour fitness on E Campbell and N Plano just down from my Hotel for swimming and cycling(cant bring a bike). But was hoping to find some dirt trails or a track with lighting somewhere near by.

I am working off the 190 near Lookout Blvd and Telecom parkway. Hotel is at E Campbell and the 75.

Is there anything good in the Spring Creek Forest Preserve or at Breckenridge Park?

I appreciate any advice and input. Thanks.

2010-02-22 12:36 PM
in reply to: #2686041

User image

Regular
Allen, TX ( Basically North of Dallas)
Subject: RE: Richardson Texas Questions
Not really any dirt trails that will be open due to rain.  As far as running trails there are some in Plano or you are not too far from WhiteRock Lake.  It is a 9 mile loop around the lake and a lot of people run there every day.  I know there are a few tracks near you but I am traveling myself and do not have accurate directions to give you.  Sorry!
2010-02-22 1:09 PM

User image

Pro
Texas
Will you have a car? This makes a difference in the answer.
2010-02-22 1:22 PM
in reply to: #2686276

San Jose, CA
I will have a car, and am willing to drive a little ways especially on the weekend.

Will check into Whiterock lake, that sounds promising. Thanks.
2010-02-22 1:22 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
I used to live at Bush and 190, so I worked out a lot in that area. Stay away from the pool in that 24 Hour Fitness. It smells and tastes like sweat and actually made me sick. Several complaints to the management did no good.

There are some dirt trails at a Park just south of Campbell and Shiloh. It is on the east side of Shiloh just before crossing the bridge. With all the rain we have had lately though, I am not sure that would be a good choice.

Breckenridge has a lot of paved trails to run on. Its pretty nice there too with a pond and some trails that go through the trees.

The whole area where you are staying and working has sidewalks, so outdoor runs are easy to do. Its too bad you don't have a bike, you're at the starting point for good ride. (The RBM routes for the locals) There is a great bike shop west on Campbell that rents bikes if you really want to get a ride in.

The closest track to your hotel would be at Huffhines Park on Plano Rd. I am not sure if they have lights, but the softball fields there are lit, so it might be.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
2010-02-22 1:37 PM
in reply to: #2686310

San Jose, CA
Thanks Tikicult. I will check out Huffines and Breckenridge. I will also keep in mind the riding option.

2010-02-22 2:16 PM

User image

Pro
Texas
You might look into Arbor Hills as well, it has some trails & it's not too far of a drive from where you're at(maybe 15-20 minutes).
2010-02-22 3:07 PM

Regular
Seattle
Your hotel should be close to the newly renovated spring creek nature area which should have a sidewalk style trail that you can take to renner and then through the neighbourhood for a run.

As was said you will be right on the major bike routes used for weekend rides. If you want to get a ride in check with richardson bike mart (bikemart.com) as they will rent you a bike and set you up for the ride.

For dirt, with the weather we have been having it will be mostly mud, but your best resource would be dorba.org which shares its trails with trail runners.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Richardson Texas Questions Rss Feed