General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hydration Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-03-09 11:28 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Paul, MN
Subject: Hydration

The races I am doing this year have aid stations every 3-5 miles so I have ruled out the need for any sort of hydration pack (backpack style) and I don't like having anything in my hands when I run, so I am looking at waist packs.  I'm considering the Amphipod Full Tilt 20/20 (the one with the two 20oz. bottles in the back).  I tend to need a lot of hydration and my "A" race is in early July, which can get warm and very humid here.

I considered Fuel Belt for all of a few seconds until I thought about the fact that I don't want to have to deal with refilling 4 little bottles.

Before I throw some money down, I thought I'd get a few opinions from some of the veteran ultra runners here.  What have you used and liked and why?  What didn't you like and why?  Anyone have any feedback on any of the Amphipod products?

2010-03-09 11:54 PM
in reply to: #2717806

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Hydration
Well, I would consider the terrain bc five miles can be very different!  I made this mistake on a very tough trail run and I paid the price-light headed, faint, extreme thirst...

I didn't bring anything bc I thought the aid stations were close together but the terrain made the mileage take a little longer than I had anticipated! 

I like my waist pack and I have one big bottle in it with a little zipper to keep whatever (salt tablets).  However, in the heat of the summer, I may switch to a camelback bc I will be drinking a lot more!

The water bottles are easy to refill-in fact, I found that the aid volunteers fill them up as soon as your scooting to a halt-pretty awesome. 

2010-03-10 1:38 AM
in reply to: #2717806

User image

Plano, Tx
I hated carrying bottles in my hands, but then I realized I hated having stuff bouncing all over my hips way worse.

Once I found this bottle (http://www.zombierunner.com/store/brands/amphipod/handheld_bottles/product2289.html) I was completely in love. I've carried two of these bottles for 50 miles before and it was amazing. Plus... If you fall they keep your hands from getting all messed up

Best part of all they have pockets that I can easily cram 2-3 gels in.

Also, if you get an amphipod handheld bottle, spend the extra $$$ and get the one I mentioned above. SOme of the other ones don't have a soft foam cover, and I've found will get sweaty and then slip all over the place Good luck!
2010-03-10 10:04 AM
in reply to: #2717843

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
tribullbutter - 2010-03-10 2:38 AM I hated carrying bottles in my hands, but then I realized I hated having stuff bouncing all over my hips way worse.

Once I found this bottle (http://www.zombierunner.com/store/brands/amphipod/handheld_bottles/product2289.html) I was completely in love. I've carried two of these bottles for 50 miles before and it was amazing. Plus... If you fall they keep your hands from getting all messed up

Best part of all they have pockets that I can easily cram 2-3 gels in.

Also, if you get an amphipod handheld bottle, spend the extra $$$ and get the one I mentioned above. SOme of the other ones don't have a soft foam cover, and I've found will get sweaty and then slip all over the place Good luck!

x2

I tried the hip pack and it drove me crazy. Sometimes it would bounce, othertimes slide down and then twist around my waist. Someone recommended a handheld bottle and it worked perfectly. I don't have the one listed above but I like the design.
2010-03-10 11:19 AM
in reply to: #2718406

User image

Veteran
St. Paul, MN
Thanks for all the replies.  Since it is a bit more cost effective than a waist pack, I think I may try one of the Amphipod handhelds.  Their website didn't show the one with the foam cover so it's nice to know it exists.  I like the more ergonomic design of this brand so I don't think I will even mess with any others at this point.  Thanks a bunch!
2010-03-10 1:21 PM
in reply to: #2718680

User image

Expert
San mateo California
njk123 - 2010-03-10 10:19 AM Thanks for all the replies.  Since it is a bit more cost effective than a waist pack, I think I may try one of the Amphipod handhelds.  Their website didn't show the one with the foam cover so it's nice to know it exists.  I like the more ergonomic design of this brand so I don't think I will even mess with any others at this point.  Thanks a bunch!

I carry the handheld bottles....   It has a double purpose..  if you fall you won't mess up your hands...   Most likely we are going to fall at an ultra if you haven't you will...   so having the handheld bottles has really saved my hands a bunch of times..    

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hydration Rss Feed