General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Have to miss 2.5 weeks of training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-03-11 2:06 PM

User image

Sterling, VA
Subject: Have to miss 2.5 weeks of training
I will be starting my first training program for an Olympic Tri (20 week program) pretty soon.  It's for the Nation's Tri which is on September 12.  I need some advice though, because I just realized I will miss 2.5 weeks of training at the end of May/early June because I will be on a mission trip in Africa.  Because I've never done a training program before, I don't know how much this will affect my training but I'm assuming it won't be good.  Does anyone have any advice of what I should do?  Should I add 3 extra weeks to the start of the program to make up for the weeks I won't be there?   Should I intensify the workouts right before I leave and when I get back?  Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!  Thanks in advance  : )

2010-03-11 2:08 PM
in reply to: #2721200

User image

Pro
Houston
Subject: RE: Have to miss 2.5 weeks of training
Take your running shoes and focus on a good run base.  I think you will have plenty of time before your tri to get things in order.
2010-03-11 2:10 PM

User image

Elite
Miami
is this your first race?  i think you will be fine.  1 question that comes to mind you can't run in Africa?  i can understand bike / swim but running you can do pretty much everywhere.  if you do absolutely 0 you will loose some fitness but if you were to maintain just by running it would be helpful.

it also seems you will be missing this 2.5 weeks early in the program, shouldn't be too bad.  but you might want to structure the plan little differently and shift it. 
2010-03-11 2:14 PM

User image

Sterling, VA
Unfortunately the places we stay in Africa are not exactly the safest and I also wouldn't really know my way around the countryside.  A few of the hostels we stay at are enclosed so I may be able to fit in a few runs around the compound.  I'll definitely bring my running shoes and get out for a run any time I can.

And this will be my second race.  I did a sprint last fall and have kept up with my biking, swimming, running all winter  : )

Edited by leahsings 2010-03-11 2:20 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Have to miss 2.5 weeks of training Rss Feed