General Discussion Race Reports! » First Watch Sarasota Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

First Watch Sarasota Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sarasota, Florida
United States
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 01m 22s
Overall Rank = 583/1750
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 23/108
Pre-race routine:

Daylight Savings so the clock springing forward- meant it felt like we woke at 4:30 am! That was painful. We were staying with friends near Sarasota. They had 2 little kids, plus we had our little man so none of us slept really well. Woke, quick instant oatmeal and jumped in the car with my husband. Followed the traffic to the parking lot.
Event warmup:

Walked to the start area. Shivered.....brrrr.... I was wearing a short sleeved UA shirt and running skirt with a visor and was all goosebumps. Wished I'd brought a garbage bag. We got there way early but were thankful once we saw the mile long potty line. We must've spent over 20-30 minutes waiting. Good thing we had nothing else we needed to do! We ran around a traffic circle to warm up a bit and then crammed into the unorganized corrals (signs for min/mile but no way to enter the corrals... ) to stay warm. Listened to the Star Spangled Banner and then... we were off!
Run
  • 2h 01m 22s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I really enjoyed this race! The course was scenic enough to keep my mind occupied and the weather was gorgeous. No clouds and just a nice breeze to keep us cool on the way back. The very last mile was getting pretty warm and we had to run right into the sun so that was a bit intense.

I started the race running with Tom but I let him go out ahead at the 2 mile mark. This was the first race I've run with a Garmin and I found myself quite preoccupied with just exactly how fast I was running. I was hovering right around 9-9:30 min/mile until around mile 3 when I realized I was under 9 miles. I knew there was going to be a breeze on the way back so I realized I needed to slow down. My stomach had felt a bit off all morning, so I also held off on my GU- usually I have the first at 3 or 4 miles and I didn't have one until 6. It ended up being fine. The enormous bridge we went over at mile 6 helped. It was a lot like the Ambassador Bridge back in the Detroit Half- except in this course you have to make a U-turn at the other side and come back over it yet again! Ooooof. Back into the breeze and I still felt really solid so I focused on picking off "the annoying people" and kept picking up my pace each mile. My arms were pulling me forward and it felt nice to keep passing folks. From at least mile 9 through the end I didn't get passed by anyone but picked off quite a slew of other runners. The last 5k I felt like I really pushed myself and really kicked it at the end.

This is the first race that I've *raced* in over a year and a half and I felt great! I will definitely be going back under 2 hours for 13.1 later this year. :)
What would you do differently?:

Garbage bag at the start. Less sausage with my pasta dinner. ;)
Post race
Warm down:

Found the water, food, and Tom (in that order). Stretched, caught up, and cooled down in the shade. Walked back to the car and drove home to our little son! :) (this was my first morning away from him, he's never woken up with someone else... but it was worth it!).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing.

Event comments:

This was a really nice half. Despite the start line corrals being pointless... they did a wonderful job with the race. There were lots of friendly volunteers at the hydration stops and several medic tents filled with really friendly med student types. There was a great drum group at the base of the bridge turn around. The cops were amazing at keeping the traffic in line and not holding up the runners. The only things they could've improved was the start corrals and leaving enough space for the lead runners once they've doubled back- it seemed like they had to do a bit of swimming upstream for a while. I would do this course again if I lived locally.

Last updated: 2010-02-22 12:00 AM
Running
02:01:22 | 13.1 miles | 09m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/108
Overall: 0/1750
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-03-15 8:55 PM

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI
Subject: First Watch Sarasota Half Marathon

2010-03-18 7:15 AM
in reply to: #2728093

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: First Watch Sarasota Half Marathon
Awesome come back SushiGirl!!!  Isn't the garmnin fun?  I am rather addicted to it and love that I can see my current pace or average pace with a push of a button! Nerdy, sure, but what the heck!

Congrats on your first half of 2010, and I bet you kill it on your next one! 
2010-03-18 9:55 AM
in reply to: #2728093

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Utah
Subject: RE: First Watch Sarasota Half Marathon
Very cool race.  Congrats.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » First Watch Sarasota Half Marathon Rss Feed