Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-03-23 7:09 PM
in reply to: #2743793

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: second thoughts
tcovert - 2010-03-23 5:28 PM
thndrcloud - 2010-03-23 3:14 PM I did my first sprint tri last August after starting to train in May.  When I started training I weighed 173 and when I raced I weighed 173.  I finished in 2 hours with just three months of training which topped out at 4 hours per week.  Since then I've increased to 6-7 hours a week and am shooting for an Oly this summer.  I didn't start losing the weight until I started tracking my calories because even though I thought I was eating healthy I was still eating too much.  Now I'm burning around 3000 calories a week in exercise along with eating the right foods in the right amounts and I'm now down to 159. 

This can't be stressed enough.  You can exercise 15 hours a week, but if you replace all the calories you burn you WILL stay the same weight.

x2...

Please track your calories, so you know exactly what are you eating everyday.

2010-03-24 9:29 AM
in reply to: #2741656

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Most of us don't have the time to devote to training that we'd *like*  but it doesn't keep us from doing something. 

Everyone needs at least a small amount of "Me time" and training can be yours.  I started on the path towards active and fit a little over 5 years ago (getting ready for a backpacking trip with my middle son).  I carved out Monday 5-6 (after work, before scouts) to walk.  I wasn't available to pick up kids, fix dinner, stay late at work, pick up milk on the way home...  One hour a week wasn't going to get me fit enough for the trip, but it set the precident and I guarded that hour carefully.  Then I was able to add another day and another.  We (as a family) agreed that I'd need to spend 3 or 4 days a week hiking after work that spring to be ready for the trip and starting with that one day made it all work.  The family realized someone else could get the milk and the kids occasionally had to ask for a ride from a friend. 

Do you feel better when you work out?  Do you notice your clothes not so tight?  These are much more important than the scale (the scale is important too). 

Edited to add:  Don't cry, go for a run to clear your head. 

Edited by McFuzz 2010-03-24 9:29 AM
2010-03-24 11:15 AM

User image

Expert
Chatham, Ontario
I am feeling the same way....I have just updated my calendar and looking at what my summer will be like for my first HIM.  I am just going to have to keep everything in my life as simple as possible.  I plan on using some vacation time from work to get in some long morning workouts and I have set aside every Saturday night to have family dinner and game night.

Just find that balance and commit to it!
2010-03-24 1:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, NZ

I think you're amazing to fit in ANYTHING around motherhood. I am part-time step-mom to a gorgeous 7 year old boy. When he's here, he needs something, has a question, wants help with things, needs to change the channel on the tv and not stuff up the entire av set-up, can't reach a toy....... every 30 seconds. He's the most delightful kid and isn't deliberately painful, but the interruptions are constant. I love that you have prioritised training to give it an hour a day.

I'll bet you're a fantastic Mom, so ease up on yourself some, huh?

Ditto on the advice about the logs; gives BT pals a chance to swing by and give you some props on your training. Those little contacts are awesome, so use that facility!

Post a race report in June.

2010-03-24 8:50 PM

User image

Master
gomom_shell - 2010-03-22 8:51 PM
oh....and my mom is referring to my tri training as a mid-life crisis.  gee, thanks....

Embrace your mid-life crisis.  I am.

When my wife bugs me about my hobby, I just remind her my hobbies could be cocaine, Ferraris, and fourteen year olds.  That puts things in perspective. Cool
2010-03-25 8:59 PM
in reply to: #2746662

User image

Regular
I am overwhelmed by all of these encouraging comments!  It's good to know I have friends helping me along.  With all of your help, I have realized three things:

1.  It is ok to take the time to do this, even if it means a messy house.  My children will have a healthier, happier mom who will hopefully be in their lives longer.

2.  I definitely need to log my food intake and exercise.  When I started writing everything I had eaten in a day, it was more than I realized.  It is much healthier than it was before I started training, but I need to be more careful of caloric intake.

3.  Having a "mid-life crisis" as my mother calls it is not a bad thing, especially if it is training for a tri!

A little more background on myself....(you don't have to read this, but some of you asked...)  I am a 40 year old married mom of 4 boys, ages 19, 14, 12, and 8.  I teach fifth grade full time and am pretty involved in both church and community groups.  I live in a very small town, 18 miles from the YMCA, so I am very glad better weather is coming and training can take place here instead of driving (except swimming).  I have an encouraging husband--I am pretty lucky there.

Thanks all!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » second thoughts Rss Feed  

of 2