Other Resources My Cup of Joe » What else do you do/want to do? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2010-03-25 10:24 AM
in reply to: #2747590

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Subject: RE: What else do you do/want to do?
Opus - 2010-03-25 9:46 AM

Last fall I bought a 30 foot sailboat. So I am reading furiously about inboard diesels, rudder posts and marine toilets.

Also, I have started to take baby steps at building a "make money online" empire.

that is soo cool... there are a few sailboating/keelboating ASA classes by me that I"ve been wanting to take for almost a year now
other than that,

I've started taking spanish classes at the local community college,  I figured I'd take all the course they have this year and see how well I can learn another language,  it should come in helpful for the dive trips I take in mexico.
other than that.. I had a nice raised garden last year that I"ve expanded to two large raised one apx 7x7 ft plus a side one for peppers

2010-03-25 10:39 AM
in reply to: #2747590

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
Opus - 2010-03-25 10:46 AM

Last fall I bought a 30 foot sailboat. So I am reading furiously about inboard diesels, rudder posts and marine toilets.

Also, I have started to take baby steps at building a "make money online" empire.

I've thought about taking sailing lessons at Annapolis (it's not too far from here; I took a kayak building class there a couple of years ago).  Can you sail something that big by yourself, or do you need a crew?  And how much sailing knowledge does the crew need?  Mrs gearboy has no interest in sailing (or at least on working the sailboat), but I might be able to rope other friends in.
2010-03-25 10:45 AM
in reply to: #2747067

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
This year is my first Ironman so outside of S/B/R and spending time with the wife and 3yo Daughter I am not going to have time to do much.

But the list of stuff we have going on:
- First thing on the list is building two patios out back. One about 12x30 feet that wrappes around a tree on the long side and will have a built in fire pit. The other about 12 x 20 feet.
- At least 3 weekends of Car Camping
- Spending a week at my Grand Parent's house in Wildwood, New Jersey. I will be on my surf board everyday regardless of conditions.
- I intend to mountain bike more this year. I don't care if it's not the best bike training, I need to do more and I've finally found some ride buddies.
- A friend is moving to Seattle in the fall and I'm planning on going from WI to WA with him. We'll have to see what we end up doing and how late in the year he ends up going but we will probably do some mountain biking and/or hiking along the way.

Other stuff that I do, but not this year:
- Got my first taste of mountaineering last year and want to do it more. But no plans to get into terribly high consequence stuff. Probably going to be a biannual thing because of time/money constraints.
- Get back into BMX racing (planning on doing that next year)
- Canoeing/kayaking
- Backpacking (I miss hiking the AT, did a lot of overnight and 2-3 night trips when we lived in PA)

Long term:
I want to learn to scuba dive. It's been on the list for a long time.
Learn to ride and get a motorcycle (this one will be on hold time my kids are out of college so it will be on hold for at least another 23 years)
As my daughter gets older, get involved in whatever she decides to be into. Of course I'm going to steer her towards stuff I like , but I'll get into whatever she wants.

ETA: I'd love a little cuddy cabin sail boat, but that whole money/time thing is an issue. We live just a few blocks from a 8 mile wide, 30 mile long lake. Tons of sailing on it.

Edited by graceful_dave 2010-03-25 10:52 AM
2010-03-25 10:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Well this spring/summer I am planning on at least 2 probably 3-5 backpacking trips with my wife and our dogs. Even just an overnighter is often enjoyable. Going to try to explore a couple of new trails (to us) in the Wenatchee National Forest. The challenge with backpacking is that we are still collecting the gear we need (like I need a new sleeping back that compresses to a smaller size and we could probably use a new, lighter and easier to pack tent. We will also be doing a couple of large family style camping trips with various family members.

I read, probably more than is good for me and a lot of different styles of books but most of it is fiction or ecological/environmental. I go through at least 1 and usually 2 library books a week.

I cook, a lot. I do most of the cooking in our house and I do a lot of the cooking when we get together with family. I want to experiment more with Tofu and seasoning it and cooking it this summer but we will see how much Tofu my wife wants to eat. I also want to work on some baking. While I can bake, aside from cookies and few other odds and ends, I am not as proficient as it as I want to be. Along with cooking comes eating. I love to eat, especially homemade fruit and berry pies during the summer, with Vanilla icecream!

Still working on dog training with our lab mix. She has serious doggy aggression issues and while better, she still has a long way to go before being able to walk without loosing her head whenever she sees another dog!

2010-03-25 10:55 AM
in reply to: #2747795

Pro

gearboy - 2010-03-25 11:39 AM
Opus - 2010-03-25 10:46 AM

I've thought about taking sailing lessons at Annapolis (it's not too far from here; I took a kayak building class there a couple of years ago).  Can you sail something that big by yourself, or do you need a crew?  And how much sailing knowledge does the crew need?  Mrs gearboy has no interest in sailing (or at least on working the sailboat), but I might be able to rope other friends in.

Ah, one of the best places to sail! Single-handed sailing is certainly possible on a 30 foot sailboat (people single-hand boats much larger as well). My boat has all of the lines leading back to the cockpit and a roller furling headsail, so sailing on my own is definitely possible. Having said that... I wouldn't take my boat out without a crew until I have more experience and also unless I have the right conditions. The hardest part is not sailing the boat, the hardest part is piloting in the marina and docking. So, the right conditions can include wind strength and wind direction in relation to where you need to dock the boat.

The crew doesn't need much knowledge other than basic things like "one hand for the boat and one hand for yourself", "the lifejackets are located here" and "please don't act like an idiot onboard". For the rest, you can direct them as needed. Of course, you need to know all the rules and laws applicable to you and your boat.

For the most part, though, sailing (cruising rather than racing) is not hard.

2010-03-25 11:05 AM
in reply to: #2747858

User image

Pro
Opus - 2010-03-25 11:55 AM

Ah, one of the best places to sail! Single-handed sailing is certainly possible on a 30 foot sailboat (people single-hand boats much larger as well). My boat has all of the lines leading back to the cockpit and a roller furling headsail, so sailing on my own is definitely possible. Having said that... I wouldn't take my boat out without a crew until I have more experience and also unless I have the right conditions. The hardest part is not sailing the boat, the hardest part is piloting in the marina and docking. So, the right conditions can include wind strength and wind direction in relation to where you need to dock the boat.

The crew doesn't need much knowledge other than basic things like "one hand for the boat and one hand for yourself", "the lifejackets are located here" and "please don't act like an idiot onboard". For the rest, you can direct them as needed. Of course, you need to know all the rules and laws applicable to you and your boat.

Oh.  Well, what if they act like idiots all the time?

2010-03-25 11:10 AM
in reply to: #2747898

Pro

gearboy - 2010-03-25 12:05 PM
Opus - 2010-03-25 11:55 AM

Well, in that case, seat them before the mast and attach them to the boat with safety tethers. If they undo the tethers, duct tape their hands together and re-attach the tethers.

2010-03-25 11:20 AM
in reply to: #2747909

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
Opus - 2010-03-25 11:10 AM

Well, in that case, seat them before the mast and attach them to the boat with safety tethers. If they undo the tethers, duct tape their hands together and re-attach the tethers.

Ha!

My boss has a 48 foot boot that he single hands all the time. We work 4 10 hour days in the summer just so he can go sailing on Fridays.

Edited by graceful_dave 2010-03-25 11:21 AM
2010-03-25 11:26 AM
in reply to: #2747946

Pro

graceful_dave - 2010-03-25 12:20 PM

Ha! My boss has a 48 foot boot that he single hands all the time. We work 4 10 hour days in the summer just so he can go sailing on Fridays.

I'm guessing he has a bow thruster for docking. If not, he must be pretty good!

2010-03-25 11:39 AM
in reply to: #2747974

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
Not sure. I'll have to ask him. But I'll have to find time. When I ask work questions I am lucky to get more then a grunt. Yes or no questions are like a monologue for him. Ask about sailing and he doesn't shut up for hours.
2010-03-25 11:52 AM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
After doing Ironman last year, I'm devoting a lot more of my time to my family this year. That includes spending more time with my wife, coaching my sons' T-ball teams and spending a lot of time training Rocco (limited success so far).

Beyond that I'm writing a book-- not giving away the plot, but it's sort of a humorous, nostalgic memoir about growing up in the 70's.

And, of course, I'm continuing to promote "The Distance" at various events and races around the Midwest.

2010-03-25 11:53 AM

User image

Oklahoma City
Way jealous of all the scuba diving.  Not going to be able to fit that in this year.

So, I (and my family) will be . . .

Playing the guitar (my 2-year-old son seranades us while he strums a ukulele, and he usually likes to have a partner)

Going on Oklahoma adventures (in May we'll be at the National Indian Taco Championship in Pawhuska - you should join us)

Gardening

Chasing two kids
2010-03-25 12:09 PM

User image

Expert
Sarnia, Ontario
I have so many hobbies that are on hold because I am working out of town during the week...

I dont do any shooting or reloading any more, but I do manage to hunt every fall.
My garden usually looks slightly neglected by August, but this year I hope to take better care of it.
My woodworking tools have, sadly been gathering more dust than they have been making lately.

I do manage to spend my spare, at home time with my 3 daughters and my wife.  During the summer we go to the cottage lots and do some camping... which usually ties in nicely with a Triathlon or 2.. I have been trying to make my tri's family vacations.

I am waiting so patiently for a well at the Yacht club so I can get my own sail boat, so for the time being my wife and I crew/drink on our friends boat... its cheaper that way any how...

2010-03-25 1:00 PM
in reply to: #2748072

Pro

scoobysdad - 2010-03-25 12:52 PM After doing Ironman last year, I'm devoting a lot more of my time to my family this year. That includes spending more time with my wife, coaching my sons' T-ball teams and spending a lot of time training Rocco (limited success so far). Beyond that I'm writing a book-- not giving away the plot, but it's sort of a humorous, nostalgic memoir about growing up in the 70's. And, of course, I'm continuing to promote "The Distance" at various events and races around the Midwest.

Ok, I'll bite, Mr. Crichton: What is The Distance?

2010-03-25 1:08 PM
in reply to: #2748343

User image

Pro
Opus - 2010-03-25 2:00 PM

scoobysdad - 2010-03-25 12:52 PM After doing Ironman last year, I'm devoting a lot more of my time to my family this year. That includes spending more time with my wife, coaching my sons' T-ball teams and spending a lot of time training Rocco (limited success so far). Beyond that I'm writing a book-- not giving away the plot, but it's sort of a humorous, nostalgic memoir about growing up in the 70's. And, of course, I'm continuing to promote "The Distance" at various events and races around the Midwest.

Oh, wait - I know this one!  Scoobysdad made a documentary following 3 triathletes getting ready for their IM race.  I got a copy, which I watched on the trainer this winter. Then I gave it to mrs gearboy for her boss and one of their clients who was having a procedure done that required him to sit in the pheresis chair for the better part of the day.  They liked it too.

Nice job on it, BTW.
2010-03-25 1:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, NZ

I play a drum. You can probably see that. I've got a degree in music and can play loads of instruments, but at the moment, all I want to do is play my drum. People have been telling me my whole life that I can be excellent at music things if I put my mind to it. I'm putting my mind to this.

And I'm going to become a much more adventurous, enthusiastic cook. I love food and I love cooking, but the adventure of it takes more organisation and planning than I've been inclined to give it.

And I'm working on being able to run 5km in under 30 minutes, consistently. At the moment it takes me nearer to 40 minutes, and sometimes it takes me even longer. I'm thrilled that I can even do it, because my first run for triathlon training in 2006 was 4 minutes long! So, massive progress.

This year I'm being grateful. Every minute of every day. That's my biggest goal really.

2010-03-25 2:53 PM

User image

Veteran
I do alot (though not as much as before I got into tris) of rock climbing. Just got back from our honeymoon to Thailand, and I am planning on going to Finale Ligure in Italy this fall. As well as the usual trips to the Catskills, Daks, some small PA places, and probably the Red River Gorge in Kentucky which is luckily located right near my husband's family's house, so we usually swing by there when we go visit the fam.

I also love to cook, am doing my second year in a CSA and loving every minute. I have started some minor canning, and make most things from scratch. I really enjoy cooking without recipes, which I'm getting better at thanks in part to the CSA.

2010-03-25 4:51 PM
in reply to: #2748381

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
gearboy - 2010-03-25 1:08 PM

Oh, wait - I know this one!  Scoobysdad made a documentary following 3 triathletes getting ready for their IM race.  I got a copy, which I watched on the trainer this winter. Then I gave it to mrs gearboy for her boss and one of their clients who was having a procedure done that required him to sit in the pheresis chair for the better part of the day.  They liked it too.

Nice job on it, BTW.

Thank you, gearboy. I have no idea what a pheresis chair is, but hey, I love a captive audience.
2010-03-25 5:28 PM
in reply to: #2747974

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
Opus - 2010-03-25 11:26 AM

graceful_dave - 2010-03-25 12:20 PM

Ha! My boss has a 48 foot boot that he single hands all the time. We work 4 10 hour days in the summer just so he can go sailing on Fridays.

I'm guessing he has a bow thruster for docking. If not, he must be pretty good!

I was wrong, it's a 38 foot boot. No bow thruster. He said he just uses the pilings like pinball machine bumpers
2010-03-25 5:29 PM

mountains are next 
2010-03-25 7:41 PM
in reply to: #2749067

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
scoobysdad - 2010-03-25 5:51 PM
gearboy - 2010-03-25 1:08 PM

Nice job on it, BTW.
Thank you, gearboy. I have no idea what a pheresis chair is, but hey, I love a captive audience.

Just for you scooby:

Pheresis is a blood purification process that consists of:

• drawing blood,
  • separating red cells, plasma, platelets, and cryoprecipitated antihemophilic factor,
  • isolating the blood component needed to diagnose a suspected abnormality or treat a known disease,
  • and returning the remaining blood to the donor.
it's done in a specially contoured chair.
antihemophilic factors are blood clotting factors.

2010-03-25 8:25 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney
This is a great thread.... got me all motivated thinking about it...

Having moved into a new rental place not so long ago Im still doing house sorting out type things... right now Im hopign to save up for an outdoor setting and then get some pots and attempt to plant..

I LOVE cooking... specifically baking yummy things to feed people... no fun if its just for me! REcently ive made a few different types of biscuits/cookies amd cupcakes but im sure there will be more to come...

A bit of scrapbooking... Im not great at it but I really like having albums to flick through... ahve well over 100 photos currently on a USB stick that need printing before I can do anymore...

Thinks I want to do more of/try:
- Wakeboarding - my bf is really into it but I have only had one little go behind a boat, Im halfway to getting up so I really want to stick with it until Im standing
- Golf - specifically driving range... had a few goes and Im quite enjoying the peace although I dont last too long at it I think I would like to hit some balls maybe once a week
2010-03-25 9:11 PM
in reply to: #2749530

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
kaqphin - 2010-03-25 8:25 PM
had a few goes and Im quite enjoying the peace although I dont last too long at it I think I would like to hit some balls maybe once a week

There's a joke in there, I know it. I'm really tired. I'm begging, someone please take care of this one for me.
2010-03-25 9:17 PM
in reply to: #2749614

User image

graceful_dave - 2010-03-25 9:11 PM
kaqphin - 2010-03-25 8:25 PM had a few goes and Im quite enjoying the peace although I dont last too long at it I think I would like to hit some balls maybe once a week
There's a joke in there, I know it. I'm really tired. I'm begging, someone please take care of this one for me.
2010-03-25 9:17 PM
in reply to: #2749614

User image

dp

Edited by biggoofy 2010-03-25 9:17 PM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » What else do you do/want to do? Rss Feed  

of 3