General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dealing with cranky significant others Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-04-02 4:59 PM
in reply to: #2763652

Subject: RE: Dealing with cranky significant others
When my husband was training for the marathon I was very proud of him, but I also felt a little like a single parent.  He tried to do as much during lunch hours as he could, but the training invariably took up evenings and weekends.  The long runs were the worst.  He'd try to do them late-ish in the day, but he was absolutely done afterwards.  It seemed like he wasn't pulling his weight around the house and I was lonely!  Sure it was for a good cause, but after being with the kids all day because he's out doing his thing, then flying solo  some more because now he's tired - well, it's easy to forget.

If I were you, I'd make sure that you let her know in advance what your training schedule is.  I always hated it when I'd be surprised by the "I can't eat with you and the kids - gotta get 10 miles in tonight".  You already do a lot when she's asleep - kudos for that.  It's very thoughtful.  I would also explain why this HIM is so important to you.  We chicks did guys who talk about their feelings!  Lastly, make time for the two of you to do something fun that you both enjoy.  Plan a date or two so she has something to look on the calendar and see when she's alone and you are doing a s/b/r/.

2010-04-03 10:20 AM
in reply to: #2765084

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
vApoLY04 - 2010-04-02 9:39 AM
maybe she just feels left out? if you are training for a HIM, you are def. putting in some hours. she is probably pretty proud of you for making the lifestyle change. question is, where does she fit into your new schedule?

maybe she feels like she has to take care of everything at the house while you are out training? maybe she would like the same freedom to pursue things she enjoys doing?

If she's in the kitchen cooking dinner when you get home from training and gives you dirty looks, I think it's this ^^^^.  No one likes to feel like they're doing all the work around the house while the other is out playing and maybe she'd like you to spend time together by helping out.
2010-04-03 6:25 PM
in reply to: #2763977

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
velcromom - 2010-04-01 5:10 PM
thndrcloud - 2010-04-01 2:14 PM Hubby gets up at 4:45am to go to work then doesn't get home until almost 7pm.  I try to get all my workouts in during the day but we have three kids and the house doesn't clean itself.  I know it frustrates him on the few and far between times I take off in the evenings but he wisely keeps it to himself. 

Fortunately our eldest is past legal babysitting age AND is finally showing enough maturity that DH and I can do bike training together on the weekends.  That helps.

What's legal?  just curious...

In IL kids must be at least 12 years old to babysit.  Technically they're not supposed to be left home alone before that even if they're alone.  The only time the law tends to be enforced is when something goes wrong while a minor is in charge.

My daughter is 13 and our youngest is now 20 months so we've reached a beautiful place where she's old enough to babysit and he's old enough for us to feel comfortable letting her.
2010-04-03 6:38 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
98% of the problems in life can be solved by two things: Proper balance and lubrication.
2010-04-03 6:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, NZ

I have a fantastically supportive husband, who was a mountainbiking, road-cycling guru when we got together. He loved that I was so sporty, training for an IM at that stage, and he trained with his guys when I trained for IM, it was great.

But, in Dec 2008, he supermanned over his mtb handlebars at 40km/hr into a rock, breaking his fall with his face.

4.5 months of plaster casts, 2 surgeries and 1 lost job later, there was a severe dip in his morale and motivation for life. At this point, my need to go out and train after work began to impact, because he'd been stuck on the sofa all day and couldn't do anything, and was in desperate need of company. For the record, he's well again now, and has begun the lenghty process of getting his body back into the (delicious) shape it was when he was using it! But, it gave me an appreciation of his supportiveness that I hadn't really had up until that point because of his training schedules.

A cranky SO can make the difference between your training being great and being decidedly mediocre because every time you put your shoes on, you accept that there will be guilt, annoyance, disappointment and hostility to contend with, coming from both sides if you have to be defensive about training.

The other posters are all incredibly wise; if you can find out exactly what the trouble is, then you can work towards resolving it. Including her would be great, but as another poster said, be careful not to make it a competition. If she feels put down or laughed at for her efforts, it will be a slippery slide into unhappiness from there.

Good luck; I'm sure she's lovely, and you'll resolve this. In the meanwhile, could you surprise her by skipping a recovery training session (just one, I promise) to spend some time with her? If you cooked a meal and had it ready for her, it might be a bit of an icebreaker for the conversations you might want to have. 

2010-04-03 6:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, AR
I can't help out with your situation, seeing as my SO is the sweetest gal ever, and we always make the time we need for each other.

i just like talking about her

2010-04-03 6:56 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-04-03 9:52 PM

It was hard for me when my SO was the one doing all the training or the longer training when I was just getting started. But on the flip side I realized how happy it was making him and how he was staying in great (HOTT) shape.

For us it was about compromise especially since when he was doing longer distance training I was doing all the house work and such.  Now that we have our training and gym days figured out as well as him helping out more around the house its amazing.  We both really enjoy our training time together and the health benefits we get from our lifestyle.

I think a lot of these other posters are right in saying that she is prolly just feeling a little lonely and maybe you guys just need to discuss ways to get her involved or make sure she can get out and do something she loves as well.

Good Luck with everything!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dealing with cranky significant others Rss Feed  

of 2