General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » My First Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-09-10 11:41 AM

User image

Houston, TX
Subject: My First Tri
Man...I am addicted. I think I was addicted though, before I ever started. I started off cycling a few years ago, and have always hated running. But my actual goal is to complete an IronMan by the time I am 35. I am 25 right now. I started training by completing my first half marathon last January, and I am doing my second one this January. I had been cycling 3 days a week over the past year (in a good week) and I think I have increased my average speed by at least 4 mile per hour. So, I started swimming with a coach this past June and started running again as well. My swimming coach has really helped but my running still stinks. So I decided to really start training this past June and I have gotten pretty far and I feel satisfied at this point.

So I finished my first sprint triathlon this past Sunday. Here are my results:

500 m open water swim
12:02:7
Transition 1
2:03:1
15 mile bike
47:13:4
Transition 2
1:57:7
3 mile run
33:17:3
Total Race 1:36:32:2

So overall I finished 27 out of 42. Not too bad, but I know where I need to improve (my running). As for the swim, my time was horrible due to getting kicked a lot and having this one girl keep grabbing my feet. It was open water as well, which I find way more difficult than the pool swim I am used to!

So...now it is time to complete my next tri next weekend. It is the Try Andy's Tri here in Houston. It is a 300 m pool swim, 10 mile bike, and 3 mile run! (I am glad I got the worst of the two tris out of the way first. Now maybe this one won't seem as hard)

Janet

2003-09-10 3:55 PM
in reply to: #720

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: u should tow a sign from your feet during the swim...

DANGER!  STAY BACK AT LEAST 50 FEET TO AVOID GETTING CLOBBERED.

(that would cut u a nice swath for u through the competition - huh?)

2003-09-10 8:37 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Subject: RE: My First Tri
When I played golf, it was always that one good shot that kept you coming back. Crossing the finish line in a tri is just like that good shot in golf, and you want to do another tri.

Still Tri'n
Michael

2003-09-11 3:41 AM

Augusta, GA
Subject: RE: My First Tri
Congratulations on completing your first Tri!! I can't wait to post my first tri here. I'm finding my training to be very exciting and challenging. I also need to work on my running "skills"...swimming is where I excel. So, you got kicked a lot. Come visit the pool I train in during the summer...it's always full of kids who would welcome the chance to kick some poor, unsuspecting soul. =)

Good luck in your training...and 27th is a great place to start!

Ruby
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » My First Tri Rss Feed