BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Menglo's Mentoring Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2010-05-19 11:18 PM
in reply to: #2769926

User image

Veteran
Longview
Subject: RE: Menglo's Mentoring Group - Closed
Definitely need to swim more and practice more in open water to gain a comfort level. Other than that I just need to train more and improve overall fitness. Looking around for a swim coach in my area to maybe give me some pointers on better form

2010-05-20 5:15 PM
in reply to: #2869991

User image

Expert
Portland
lanceho - 2010-05-19 11:18 PM Definitely need to swim more and practice more in open water to gain a comfort level. Other than that I just need to train more and improve overall fitness. Looking around for a swim coach in my area to maybe give me some pointers on better form

Excellent Idea.  I LOVED the OWSing when I finally got to practice it.  I'm not very good at it, I kinda swim like I'm drunk, but its nice to be able to get into that rythm.  I had a coach that always told us, "its not a good day unless you can find something to learn".  Definately true! 
2010-05-25 4:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Longview
How is everyones training going?  I still can't swim well, I am still not fast, and am mediocre on a bike but I continue to believe I am a  triathlete.  How about yall?
2010-05-25 5:47 AM

Training is going well.   Getting better with nutrition...what and when to eat.  Recovery is SO important to performance..proper fuel after workouts is essential and the body feels much better.
Now that I have completed my first tri, I proudly call myself a triathlete...the swim/bike/run split times are secondary to the willpower and effort that have been used to get this far.  Rock on!
2010-05-25 6:52 AM
in reply to: #2879966

User image

Expert
Portland
jdseymour - 2010-05-25 5:47 AM Training is going well.   Getting better with nutrition...what and when to eat.  Recovery is SO important to performance..proper fuel after workouts is essential and the body feels much better.
Now that I have completed my first tri, I proudly call myself a triathlete...the swim/bike/run split times are secondary to the willpower and effort that have been used to get this far.  Rock on!

x2 on all of this!  You finished a triathlon there for you ARE a triathlete!  Congrats!  DFL>DNF>DNS every time!  What kinda workouts are you doing for swimming and biking? maybe we can share some training tips to help improve 
2010-05-25 8:30 AM
in reply to: #2879949

SW Ontario
lanceho - 2010-05-25 5:13 AM How is everyones training going?  I still can't swim well, I am still not fast, and am mediocre on a bike but I continue to believe I am a  triathlete.  How about yall?

Training is going well, still finding it hard to fit some of the workouts in with the young one at home and my wife wanting to go to the gym as soon as I get in the door from work.  I may have to start pushing my workouts into the early evening or get up at ungodly hours of the morning to get this stuff done.

My wife did have a brilliant idea yesterday.  Since I was planning on doing a brick workout she suggested we go to the beach (about 45km away) to expose our daughter to the wonders of sand for the first time.  She would meet me at the 40km mark, pickup my bike and drop off a pair of shoes for the transition. 

The lack of any sort of shade for the almost 2 hours I was outside and the 85% humidity was a bit zapping, but the mid-50's water temperature made for a nice relaxing sit in the water when I was done...

What did I take away from this workout?  I need a new saddle.  Nothing like a full bladder and numb gentlemanly parts 30 minutes in to make for an interesting ride.

2010-05-25 10:12 AM
in reply to: #2880203

To Sucrizzle:  Your wife is supportive and a genius!  You can tell her I said so.  With that kind of support you HAVE to train.   On workdays, I vote for getting up at the ungodly hours to get it done...with job, kids and "other stuff", it's very hard to get geared up mentally and physically to put in quality training after a full day.  I'm now a grandfather with the luxury of time to train but for many years I got up before work to put in my training...I ALWAYS felt better when I rolled out of bed early with a purpose..(not easy but worth it!)  It sounds so much cooler to tell your buddies at work that you have already swam/biked and or ran before work instead of....(insert your own comments here).  Good luck!
2010-05-25 7:37 PM

User image

Expert
Portland
X2 on everything above!  Great of your wife to suggest that, and you got to spend some quality time with the fam while getting in a kick-butt workout.    

I do my workouts early in the morning (up at 5am out the door for a run or on the bike by 5:15 at the latest).  If someone would have told me in high school that I would be waking up this early to get a workout in, I would have called them crazy...  Its awesome to feel so good at work, it really helps me get through the day.  Also, its nice to come home after work and not have to worry about trying to get two workouts in, or a workout at all.

Anyone else have tips for helping to get those workouts in? 
2010-05-26 10:33 AM
in reply to: #2882042

SW Ontario
For those of you who get up in the mornings, do you eat anything before you head out or do you have breakfast after the workout is done? 

2010-05-26 2:24 PM
in reply to: #2883128

No solid food if running or swimming early...I can handle solids okay on the bike.

2010-05-26 5:28 PM

User image

Corpus Christi, TX
sorry i've been MIA.  finally got back from the field.  i had some stuff to do for school.  but i'll be gone again for a few days to do a hiking/camping trip with my dad and brother.  still haven't done any solid training for a couple of weeks now.  i'll hit it hard once we get back.  i hope everyone is continueing to train and enjoy this tri season.

summer is suppose to be a time when a student can relax a little but it's been the opposite for me so far haha. 

2010-05-28 3:27 PM

User image

Expert
Portland
If I'm STARVING in the AM I'll eat half-three quarters of a granola bar.  Otherwise I'll wait till I get home.  If I feel somewhat hungry I'll take a gel with to take during the run.

I'll give a little warning, I may be a little sparse over the next couple weeks as I recently got a new (REAL) job.  My wife and I have to move and it all has to happen in the next 2 weeks.  I'll drop in as often as possible though!  Keep up all the hard work everyone!
2010-06-02 11:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Longview
Anyone racing this weekend? If so what? I am doing a 5k this weekend, I do these because I don't particularly care for running but they give me a group to run with and this makes it more bearable. If you aren't racing how is training? It has reached ignorant hot and humid levels here in east Texas and makes any run or bike more of a sufferfest then need be.
2010-06-03 6:00 AM

No race this weekend but training is going well.  Monday I rode the bike with a small group for 28 miles, then joined a group of about 30 people for an open water swim (1 mile) and then joined some of the swimmers for a 40 minute run...BIG training day for me as most of these people are seasoned triathletes.
2010-06-03 8:44 AM

SW Ontario
No racing for me until June 20.  The race is about 2 hours from me in the general area of where all my in-laws live.  We were down there last weekend and I went to ride the course to know what I would be getting myself into. 

The ride was a good idea as I missed the first turn; came up on me a lot faster than I thought and overshot the turn by a good 4km.  Once I got back on track, I found that there is some serious road construction that makes the course as outlined unusable. 

I sent the RD an email and the response back was that he was promised they'd have it done by race day...I'm very skeptical and hope he has a backup plan.

Other than that, training has been going really well.  I've been able to get myself up at 5am for some fun workouts and surprisingly hasn't been too bad.  I'm really enjoying not having to worry about getting a workout in while sitting at work.

I have yet to do any OWS and have rented a wetsuit for my race.  Hopefully I can get to a lake the day before the race to get some practice in otherwise the swim on race day may be ugly.
2010-06-11 7:40 PM

Hello??? HELLO!!!????  Anybody out there?  Anyone?....
Is there anyone left in this group who is still training or racing? 
I'm still at it with another sprint this weekend.  This will be an open water, Atlantic Ocean, swim...waves and cold water...yee-haa!
I'm looking forward to my first Olympic distance race in July...having crazy thoughts about trying a 70.3 (half-ironman) but the races I've looked at don't work with my schedule...probably a good thing since this is my first year...I might just plan my own 1/2 ironman and cover the distance as a training exercise.  What's up people????  C'mon...

2010-06-13 2:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Longview
I am here, still training but started a summer class for my masters so it takes up free cpu time. just got back from a quick 16 mile ride befor work tonight. My next sprint is in July (need to get in the water and train).  Speaking of the class anyone really good at biometric methods? aka research statistiics? this class sucks.
2010-06-17 4:09 PM

User image

Corpus Christi, TX
i'm here.  i've been focusing more on strength training but i've been really bad about posting it on the site.  i do keep a log at the house where i write stuff down. 
2010-07-18 8:06 PM

C'mon kids!!!  Bust the dust off of your gear!  Have you completely dropped your tri training/racing or are you just too busy training to post?  It's been a month since the last post from this group and it's pretty much the middle of the season.  Anyone training or racing?  I've got my first Olympic distance this next Sunday...it's going to be 90 degrees with about 90% humidity.  I'm hoping for some clouds and a cooling rain.   I've registered for a half-ironman in October...yes, this is my first season and it will consist of 2 sprints, one Oly & a 1/2 Ironman...I'm 55 years old so who knows how long this body will hold up...I'm going to get it while I can.   I hope you all are doing well.  Good luck with your season.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Menglo's Mentoring Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 5