General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Official Island Lake Sprint & Olympic Tri - 5/29 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-05-25 11:28 AM
in reply to: #2880221

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods
Subject: RE: Official Island Lake Sprint & Olympic Tri - 5/29
jplotzke - 2010-05-25 8:37 AM
AeroBaldness - 2010-05-25 8:38 AM
jplotzke - 2010-05-25 7:34 AM
AeroBaldness - 2010-05-25 8:22 AM Also, out on the other far end we'll cross some train tracks.  As I recall, Running Fit put down carpets to soften the blow a bit.  I have no idea if Element will as well.  Same thing here, I'd pull off the bars or the drops and for this one, come off the seat.

Nope -- the course this year actually turns around right before the train tracks.  Jim couldn't get the train company to guarantee that no trains would cross, and while he was out there riding about a month ago a train came roaring through around 8am on a Saturday morning.  They added the turnaround right before the tracks so that they don't have anyone trying to beat the train if one crosses.

I absolutely agree with the comment about the packing lot by the dumpsters -- that gets a little rough.  As does the pavement right near the guard shacks as you're turning left about a mile into the bike course.  They've patched some of the holes up, but it's still pretty bumpy.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!  I would have sure kept going up the hill had I not read this!  Does this shorten the course a bit?

I think it shortens the course to about 12.4ish miles (instead of 12.5 or 12.6 last year).  By the way, the turnaround doesn't take out any hills though -- you'll loop around just before the train tracks, so it really only takes out the end parking lot.  That turnaround will be pretty tight, though.

According to Element Event's website -- the water temp is 68 degrees!  That's crazy!

Just rode the course twice this past weekend and was referring to the slight up hill to the parking lot past the tracks, you are right, there are still plenty of hills out there.  68 seems a bit high, Springmill Pond felt more like the low 60s on Sunday, but who knows with this heat wave.

Do you have any info on if/when a revised run map will be posted?  

Thanks again! 

2010-05-25 1:07 PM
in reply to: #2799262

New user
  1. AeroBaldness - Oly
  2. michgirlsk - Sprint
  3. jplotzke - Oly
  4. stanner6 (Shaina) - Oly

2010-05-26 10:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods
Hey Jeff, I'm hoping you can help me think through something else (needy, I know).  I have a buddy that is thinking about last minute registering for the Sprint, but needs to be out of there by around 10:30 or 11:00.  Looking at the course, and the fact that the Oly goes off second and does 2 laps of the bike course, I thought he'd be cutting it close.  Here is my thinking:  folks won't be able to get out of the parking lot until the last Oly biker starts lap 2 and makes their way past the entry shack.  Working backwards, the last swim wave is set to go off at 7:48.  Lets say the last swimmer takes almost an hour to complete the swim & t1 and takes an hour and about 45-minutes to 2 hours to complete the 1st lap of the bike course.  This should open up the road out to exit at 10:45 to 11:00 at the latest, right? 
2010-05-26 11:31 AM

Jim is a great guy and I hope to do one of his tri's this year.  Good Luck to all that are participating!!!!
2010-05-26 1:17 PM
in reply to: #2883119

User image

Farmington Hills, MI
AeroBaldness - 2010-05-26 11:31 AM Hey Jeff, I'm hoping you can help me think through something else (needy, I know).  I have a buddy that is thinking about last minute registering for the Sprint, but needs to be out of there by around 10:30 or 11:00.  Looking at the course, and the fact that the Oly goes off second and does 2 laps of the bike course, I thought he'd be cutting it close.  Here is my thinking:  folks won't be able to get out of the parking lot until the last Oly biker starts lap 2 and makes their way past the entry shack.  Working backwards, the last swim wave is set to go off at 7:48.  Lets say the last swimmer takes almost an hour to complete the swim & t1 and takes an hour and about 45-minutes to 2 hours to complete the 1st lap of the bike course.  This should open up the road out to exit at 10:45 to 11:00 at the latest, right? 

I'd say you're probably on with your times, if not high for the bike.  I don't know if they'll open up the lot after the last biker starts on the 2nd lap or wait until the last biker finishes.  If your friend doesn't mind a walk (or even a ride), one idea (they'd probably need to get there early to do this before it fills up) is to park at the commuter lot on Grand River at Kensington Road (on Grand River, just to the east of the intersection).  It's probably about 0.4 miles away from the park entrance, but wouldn't be locked down during the race.  I ride in Island Lake a lot in the morning before the park opens and use that lot.

You may want to contact Jim -- he's normally very quick on responses -- [email protected]
2010-05-29 12:20 PM
in reply to: #2883119

User image

Expert
MI
Ted, that was you who saw me right?  I am impressed that you recognized me while you were running!!  With your "short and bald" description, I actually thought I had seen you earlier on the course because there was someone else that fit that similar description that was running the Oly that passed by me!

The Island Lake tri was fun!!  I'm glad to have chosen it as my first tri!

2010-05-29 6:00 PM
in reply to: #2890135

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods
michgirlsk - 2010-05-29 12:20 PM Ted, that was you who saw me right?  I am impressed that you recognized me while you were running!!  With your "short and bald" description, I actually thought I had seen you earlier on the course because there was someone else that fit that similar description that was running the Oly that passed by me!

That was me (dying on the run)!  I recognized you from you profile pic.  CONGRATULATIONS on your 1st TRI!!!!! 
2010-05-30 9:08 AM
in reply to: #2890135

User image

Farmington Hills, MI
michgirlsk - 2010-05-29 1:20 PM

It was a great day yesterday... that water was crazy warm though at 75 degrees!  Congratulations to everyone who was there!
2010-05-31 2:17 PM
in reply to: #2890863

User image

Ann Arbor
It was a beautiful day!

Post race reports plz! I learn more from what people write there than even from what I write.  
2010-05-31 4:11 PM
in reply to: #2892245

User image

Farmington Hills, MI
xrodolfox - 2010-05-31 3:17 PM
Post race reports plz! I learn more from what people write there than even from what I write.  

Needy, aren't you?  Tongue out

I just posted mine.
2010-05-31 5:53 PM
in reply to: #2892388

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods
jplotzke - 2010-05-31 4:11 PM

I just posted mine.

WOW, mad props for spelling Roman's last name correctly (I think) and even more for hanging with the guy!

Here is a paste of my report from another site:

Up at 4:45 and all went well (my wife gets major hero points for getting up early to cheer me on) got to the race site by about 6:30 and check in, pick up and set up of transition went according to plan.

SWIM: Due to the early, warm weather, there was ton of seaweed growth and they had to change the swim course from a triangle, to an 800 meter out and back (2 loops for the Oly). A typical to most events, they started the Sprint first which put about 450 of the total 600 racers in the water (on an out and back course) before the Oly swim. For the men, they did a mass start for the Olympic and there had to be 80 to 90 guys in the wave. Trying to test things for July's HIM, I sat back a bit on the start (huge mistake). Right after the horn I was already swimming on top of the guys in front of me. I breathe on the right, so I was trying to work my way towards center so I could spot from buoy to buoy (second huge mistake). While still fighting my way I took a huge blow to the face from a guy next to me I didn't even see. I've been hit a bunch before, but never like this and most of my right cheek below my eye is sore and my jaw hurts like hell.  After gathering myself, I swam another 40 or 50 yards and right in to a swimmer that had crossed over the middle line and in to our out swim. I took his/her swim cap (and the head it contained) right in my bottom lip and about a gallon of water with it. Now, I am not even 250 meters in to the 400 meter out and I've been bashed twice. I encountered two more swimmers that had crossed over before I got to the 400 turn around (and really did not get a stroke in without touching someone). There, I saw the jet ski and had real thoughts of packing it in as I was gassed. Instead, I swam over about 3 guys to the outside left to finally get some room to swim. The next 1,200 yards were slightly less eventful, other than having to swim through a massive patch of seaweed twice.

T1: Socks Suck. Another thing I was trying today was putting on socks for the bike and the run. With wet feet and a double walled sock, I had to sit down and unbunch the socks before I could wear them. End result was an uncharacteristic 2:00+ minute transition. 

BIKE: My heart rate was still though the roof from the swim and it took a couple of miles to get my breath. My legs felt lousy, but according to Garmin data, I was still able to average over 19 MPH. The hills were tough and the wind kicked up for the second loop.

T2: 52 Seconds!

RUN: Cruel start, uphill on grass out of transition. Great 1st loop of the course, but the second loop, and that hill again got me and I started to cramp. I fought through the cramps with a couple of quick walks. At the finish, I spotted a guy in my AG about 40 yards ahead and broke in to a sprint. When I caught him, he realized what was going on and we had a neck and neck sprint to the line, with me getting him by about a 1/2 a foot. We shared congrats and no hard feelings once we could breathe.

2010-05-31 7:34 PM
in reply to: #2892527

User image

Expert
MI
AeroBaldness - 2010-05-31 6:53 PM
jplotzke - 2010-05-31 4:11 PM

I just posted mine.

WOW, mad props for spelling Roman's last name correctly (I think) and even more for hanging with the guy!

Here is a paste of my report from another site:

Up at 4:45 and all went well (my wife gets major hero points for getting up early to cheer me on) got to the race site by about 6:30 and check in, pick up and set up of transition went according to plan.

SWIM: Due to the early, warm weather, there was ton of seaweed growth and they had to change the swim course from a triangle, to an 800 meter out and back (2 loops for the Oly). A typical to most events, they started the Sprint first which put about 450 of the total 600 racers in the water (on an out and back course) before the Oly swim. For the men, they did a mass start for the Olympic and there had to be 80 to 90 guys in the wave. Trying to test things for July's HIM, I sat back a bit on the start (huge mistake). Right after the horn I was already swimming on top of the guys in front of me. I breathe on the right, so I was trying to work my way towards center so I could spot from buoy to buoy (second huge mistake). While still fighting my way I took a huge blow to the face from a guy next to me I didn't even see. I've been hit a bunch before, but never like this and most of my right cheek below my eye is sore and my jaw hurts like hell.  After gathering myself, I swam another 40 or 50 yards and right in to a swimmer that had crossed over the middle line and in to our out swim. I took his/her swim cap (and the head it contained) right in my bottom lip and about a gallon of water with it. Now, I am not even 250 meters in to the 400 meter out and I've been bashed twice. I encountered two more swimmers that had crossed over before I got to the 400 turn around (and really did not get a stroke in without touching someone). There, I saw the jet ski and had real thoughts of packing it in as I was gassed. Instead, I swam over about 3 guys to the outside left to finally get some room to swim. The next 1,200 yards were slightly less eventful, other than having to swim through a massive patch of seaweed twice.

T1: Socks Suck. Another thing I was trying today was putting on socks for the bike and the run. With wet feet and a double walled sock, I had to sit down and unbunch the socks before I could wear them. End result was an uncharacteristic 2:00+ minute transition. 

BIKE: My heart rate was still though the roof from the swim and it took a couple of miles to get my breath. My legs felt lousy, but according to Garmin data, I was still able to average over 19 MPH. The hills were tough and the wind kicked up for the second loop.

T2: 52 Seconds!

RUN: Cruel start, uphill on grass out of transition. Great 1st loop of the course, but the second loop, and that hill again got me and I started to cramp. I fought through the cramps with a couple of quick walks. At the finish, I spotted a guy in my AG about 40 yards ahead and broke in to a sprint. When I caught him, he realized what was going on and we had a neck and neck sprint to the line, with me getting him by about a 1/2 a foot. We shared congrats and no hard feelings once we could breathe.

That sounds like it was a brutal swim!  You know, from all I read, I was a bit worried about a mass swim.  I guess one advantage of being a girl is that there are less people in the waves!   In my wave there was one row across the front and then a bunch of people scattered behind them.  I hope it is always like this!   I got the occasional nudging but nothing too extreme.  I was often looking ahead to make sure I wasn't going to be hitting anyone. (Was I the only one that was bothered by the sunlight?!)  And um, I did cross paths with someone, oops!  lol. (We didn't hit each other.)  I'm not sure if he crossed over, or I crossed over... I'm going to say it was him.

I disliked that hill to start the run too.  And I think I saw your sprint finish!  I was near the transition area getting ready to leave and looked over and saw you looking quite good!  I encountered a similar situation actually.  My run was going not so well as I encountered a side stitch during the run, but shortly after the last aid station a girl passed me and I decided to stay with her, and was able to get her at the end, no hard feelings either and we chatted a bit later.
2010-06-02 4:18 AM

User image

Ann Arbor
I learn so much from reading other's reports. Thanx for posting.

Aero, if you had started up front, do you think you'd have had an easier time with the swim? 
2010-06-02 6:33 AM
in reply to: #2895840

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods
xrodolfox - 2010-06-02 4:18 AM I learn so much from reading other's reports. Thanx for posting.

Aero, if you had started up front, do you think you'd have had an easier time with the swim? 

I am sure of it.  I worked on swimming all winter and improved my speed quite a bit.  My plan was to lay back on Saturday to see how slowing a bit at the start would work for me for my first HIM in July.  The thought for then would be to conserve on the swim for the rest of the event.  What happened Saturday was that I was swimming up the backs of the guys in front of me and so far to the right that I was trapped (and, I am a right side breather so I thought hugging the buoys would be a good idea too).  I am doing the Oly at Motor City a week from Saturday.  I am going to change things up and go top right as much as I can.  It is a counter-clockwise swim and this should hopefully give some room and keep me from getting thrashed as bad this time.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Official Island Lake Sprint & Olympic Tri - 5/29 Rss Feed  

of 2