General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shoes, shoes, shoes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-22 1:30 PM

User image

east texas
Subject: Shoes, shoes, shoes
I am so frustrated - I have been working the couch to 10k program since January and have to take it very slow. I have always been prone to shin splints. Sometimes they really bother me, other times not at all. I used to run in the Asics Nimbus 9s. My shins would bother me but not too bad. I didn't care for the next 2 versions so went to New Balance (can't remember which ones). They made my shins worse. So I switched back to the Asics Nimbus 11 which is what I'm running in now, and they were okay for awhile but only as long as I kept about a run 3/walk 1 minute pace and kept under 3 miles, which really isn't acceptable. I'm up to about 4.5 miles now but my shins are killing me and I'm now having ankle, feet and calf pain as well, to the point that I've had to take a break because the discomfort is keeping me awake at night. I know running is all about the shoes and I'm spending a fortune on them but obviously not finding the right ones. I don't think I pronate. If I do, it's slight and only on the left. I'm considering the Asics Kayano 16s but that's another $140 and I'm not sure if they'll help. I just need to talk to someone who is NOT trying to sell me shoes. I'm uninsured so seeing a sports therapist or podiatrist is not realistic right now. Can anybody point me in the right direction? I managed to get my first 5k under my belt and would love to run a 10 in June but I'll never make it at this rate. Oh, also, I am overweight. I am 5'5" and 170 lbs. I'd like to get up to about 20-25 miles per week. With all this starting and stopping, I'm not getting any consistent weight loss. Plus, at 43, my metabolism is at a standstill. I'm considering the Kayanos because they're supposed to be good stabilzing shoes for heavier runners. I'm just afraid to drop yet more money on something that's not going to work.

2010-04-22 2:53 PM
in reply to: #2810499

User image

Master
Cypress, CA
Subject: RE: Shoes, shoes, shoes

Where are you shopping?  If you're going to a good specialty running shoe store, sure they'll be trying to sell you shoes but they'll try very hard to make sure they sell you the right shoes.  And if you're willing to spend up to $140 it shouldn't be a problem for them to find the right shoes for you.

They should want to take a look at your current shoes to see the wear pattern, and will probably ask you to run a bit on a trreadmill or something to assess your gait.

You might want to post in the Texas forum and ask for recommendations for good running shoe stores in your area.

Another thought would be to see if there's a way to find some free/cheap coaching--part of your trouble might be technique rather than just shoes.

2010-04-22 3:50 PM

User image

Expert
St. Louis

let me try to change your perception a little bit. 

it's NOT all about the shoes. rather, it's about the LACK of shoes ... and your bio-mechanics.  did you know that more injuries occur to runners who spend more on shoes?  that's right, those who spend $70 on simple shoes report significantly less injuries than those who spend upwards of $125.  that should tell you that bigger, badder, overbuilt shoes are the causes of, not the solutions to, our collective issues as runners.  (well, our physical problems!) you should do yourself a favor and look into chi running or pose running.  shin splints can often be caused or exascorbated by heel-striking, which is a distinct possibility in your case.

if i were you, i would start trending my shoes towards a more minimal style.  this will force you to adapt to a more child-like running style, and it will allow your feet to make adaptations that will later on benefit your shins, knees, hips, etc.

food for thought,

~B

2010-04-23 1:30 PM

User image

Veteran
trinewbie67 - I just need to talk to someone who is NOT trying to sell me shoes. I'm uninsured so seeing a sports therapist or podiatrist is not realistic right now. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Find a _good_ running store.  One where their reputation, and lasting business, is more important to them than making a $100 sale today.

Just as an example, my local running shop does video analysis of your pronation to help find the right shoe.  I'd trust them a lot more to help me find the right running shoe than a podiatrist or sports therapist, since all they do all day every day is running shoes.

Good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shoes, shoes, shoes Rss Feed