General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recommendations for bike rack? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-08 12:38 PM

Veteran
South Orange, NJ
Subject: Recommendations for bike rack?
My 1 1/4" hitch is being intalled this weekend. I will be carrying up to 4 bikes, most of the time just 2 but need the ability to carry four. I have looked at Yakima, Thule, Hollywood, but would like to hear from those of you here, and what you recommend. Which is better at holding the bikes, easier to load and unload, what extras would you buy? Stabilizer bars, cables?

Thanks!

2004-04-08 2:35 PM
in reply to: #17292

User image

Veteran
Lubbock, TX
Subject: RE: Recommendations for bike rack?
I have the Saris rear hatch rack(3 bike) for my SUV. However, instead of using it tomorrow, I will just throw the bike in the back since it will only be me any my. BTW, I didn't want to have to worry about it being "liberated" during our stay at the hotel Friday night.

Meanwhile, I looked at a number of hitch mounts and they all seemed pretty similar. I did notice that some come with a hinged arm which allows you to lower the arm when the bikes are off to get into your hatch/cargo area. I have heard interesting stories about how the swing arm pins get sheared off after only a few miles.
2004-04-08 2:45 PM
in reply to: #17292

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
Subject: RE: Recommendations for bike rack?
I'll attest first hand to the movable,adjustable hitch racks shearing.

My advice, is don't get one that moves. The stresses put on the joints will shear just about anything, especially if you load it up with 3 bikes and hit any type of bumps ( even driving over railroad crossing ) in the truck.

I personally like Thule or Yakima, and both make several flavors of hitch racks.

-Chris
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recommendations for bike rack? Rss Feed