General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Galveston, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 57m 27s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 62/79
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3:20 am. Got dressed, made coffee, and the PB and banana sandwiches. Loaded the truck and then went back up to the room and laid down for about another 15 min.

Once at the race location, I set up my transistion area and made sure the air in the tires were good. Double checked to make sure I laid everything out and made sure I knew how to identify my rack once out of the swim. Then just before it was time to head down to the swim start, I put on my wetsuit and then I was ready to go. Ate the my sandwich around 7 am and this might have been to close to the start of the race.
Event warmup:

Did a little stretching but that is about it. I did not want to get in the water for two reasons. 1. I did not start the swim until and hour after the first wave and I did not want to be wet and cold for that long. 2. Where I would be doing a warm up swim there was a live oyster bed and I did not want to have my feet cut up before the race...this happend to some people and one girl sliced her hand up pretty bad during the warm up swim.
Swim
  • 45m 53s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

The start was diffent from anything I have done before in my races. We jumped of the edge of a pier into the water and then treaded water until the start. At the start, the life guard wave runner that had just taken someone in was returning to its post and the wake hit us just as we began swimming, so this made the start a bit more challenging.

Once I got into some open space I did fine. I found a rythm and was able to time the chop so I was not drinking the water instead of swimming in it. The most difficult times in the water were when there were other swimmers next to me.

Less than half way into the swim I felt my calves wanting to cramp up. I kept, and did not kick much, hoping they would relax and the cramping would not happen. This did not work and both calves knotted up at the same time. I had to roll on my back and flat for a few seconds and the cramps let up. At this point, I was just hoping to be able to make it through the rest of the swim. I was very happy when I got to the ramp to get out of the water and very happy that my legs did not cramp when I was running up the ramp.

I used the peelers for the wetsuit and that was a much faster way to get the suit off then trying to step out of it.
What would you do differently?:

I would have eaten earlier than I did because I was feeling the sandwich most of the swim. Part of the issue with cramping (I think) was that I did not keep myself hydrated enough on Sat. and I was in the heat all day. This could be part of it, but I having been having cramping issues in the swim during trainning too. Besides that, I think everything else was ok.
Transition 1
  • 03m 31s
Comments:

Speed in and out of transition was not my focus today. I just wanted to make sure I had everything I needed for the bike and was ready for a long ride.
Bike
  • 3h 40m 38s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.23 mile/hr
Comments:

My calves were still an issue. I had to stop at the first aid station and stretch so this took some time. After the first aid station, I was feeling a little better, but I did not want to push too hard and risk the legs cramping again. After this stop I ate a power bar and made sure to drink Gatorade throughout the ride. I also had a few shot blocks throughout the ride. The wind was a bit of an issue throughout the entire ride. Going out, the wind of over our right shoulder, and I thought I was going to have a tail wind coming in, but that did not materialize. I still was able to ride the second half of the bike faster than the first half.

I did have to stop for a potty break...I do not see how one does this race without bathroom stops. Also, I had some neck pain and did not ride in areo the entire time...most of the time I was but I did come out a few times.

I did not have as many long rides during training as I would have liked and I think this made a difference. Next time make sure to get the long rides in.
Transition 2
  • 03m 13s
Comments:

Once again, just makig sure I had everything I needed for the run. Also had to stop by the bathroom on the way out.
Run
  • 2h 24m 12s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a bad run pace for me. It was well below my goal pace of 9:30. I was really having to will myself through the run because of the cramping. I even walked through some of the aid stations and I don't like that I did that. Made sure to take some form of liquid at each station and to take a few sponges to keep myself cool. This was the best thing I did, and I never was over heated during the run.

Keep running....even if it was a shuffle the entire time.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a bit. I did not want to stop moving for very long because I know my legs would be one big ball of cramps if I did. I also did some stretching.

Ate a few pieces of pizza afterwards to keep the headache from setting in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The cramping was the main issue that hindered my performance.

Event comments:

For the most part the race was good. It was organized and the course was well marked. The few issues I had had to do with the time from of the meetings and check in on Saturday. The manditory meeting was at 12:45 and it was held were the athletes had to be in the sun...this was not a good idea. Then having to wait until 2 pm to check the bikes in made it a long day. Also, the other issue I had was with the race shirts. When I registared it did not indicate if the shirts sizes were mens or womens. This caused many of the female athletes to order a small because usually when it does not indicate m/f it is male sizes. The small shirt was not even and adult small, it was for a small child. And when everyone noticed this they would not exchange the shirts until 7 pm that evening....who wanted to come back at the time...most of us were getting ready for bed at that time.

Last updated: 2010-04-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:53 | 2112 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/79
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: Trapizodal from point to point.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:31
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:40:38 | 56 miles | 15.23 mile/hr
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Out and back. The road going out to the seawall was a bit torn up. However the worst part of the course was riding on to the bridge on both sides. This was very rough and had some nice pot holes.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:13
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:24:12 | 13.1 miles | 11m 01s  min/mile
Course: 4 Loops around Moody Gardens
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-04-26 11:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas

2010-04-26 12:32 PM
in reply to: #2817062

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas
Awesome job!  Way to fight through those cramps and get in a great first HIM!!
2010-04-26 12:41 PM

User image

Pro
Houston
Way to go sub 7 for your first HIM!!!

We looked for you all day and then I cut you off!  OMG!  I felt so bad!  But you had a smile on your face and it was so good to see you out there after looking for you all day!
2010-04-26 2:31 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
Nice race.  Major bummer about the cramps.  That had to suck.  Bet it is awesome to be done. 
2010-04-26 2:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston
Sorry 'bout the cramps.  I certainly can atest to even a little DU the cramps can take you out of the race.  You competed in a MDOT HIM - hopefully you walked away feeling pretty impressed with yourself.  I was certainly amazed by plenty of the competitors.  We missed you the whole sticking race.  I can't believe we couldn't find you guys out of a mere 1800 competitors in spandex.  See ya at the next one.
2010-04-27 12:30 AM

User image

Expert
Great race and way to fight through the cramps. I'm glad I got to see you prior to the swim.

2010-04-27 9:48 AM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Nice race RR. Way to fight thought the calf issues and still make the sub 7.
2010-04-28 4:30 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
learn how to pee on the bike!!!   lol.. i did it forthe first time on sunday. then i realized crap someone might be behind me so i quickly took out my water bottle and squirted me head.  i figured if i got someone they would just think it was water.  i finally turned around and thankfully there was nobody there!

congrats on your first 70.3!!!!!
2010-05-03 8:03 AM
in reply to: #2824005

User image

Veteran
I did think about that.  The only thing that kept me from doing it was the fact tha my water bottles were below and I did not want to think about drinking from them after I pee.  I guess I will have to try that next time.

Great race a week ago!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas Rss Feed