Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Unfriend Study Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-30 9:43 AM

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: Unfriend Study
Earlier this year I asked in this forum about unfriending on Facebook as I was to research the phenomenon later. I used many of the responses to the post to help formulate the survey (for example-I used people's comments about unfriending someone or being unfriended after the end of a romantic relationship). The survey is ready now. Let me forewarn you that the survey is long - it can take about 15 minutes depending on your answers. It is better to take the survey after a long ride or run instead of before.

Survey Link: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/unfriend-b

------------------------------------------------------------------
You are being asked to be in this research study because as people spend more time on online social networks like Facebook little is known about how people decided to unfriend others and how they are affected by the loss of a friend on Facebook.

Facebook has over 400 million active users worldwide and is the most popular website in the U.S.; Facebook recently overtook Google as the most visited website on March 15, 2010 according to webtracker Hitwise. Research in social behavior indicates that the Internet is used to maintain existing relationships, form romantic connections, and create new online friendships. These online friendships are fluid; friendships are created and dissolved on social network sites. The word “unfriend” was named the word of the year by the New Oxford American Dictionary for 2009.

If you join the study, you will take a survey about your opinions of unfriending on the social networking site Facebook. The survey is expected to take approximately 15 minutes to complete. Up to 1,000 people will participate in this study.

This study is designed to learn more about why people unfriend people, your perceptions about being unfriended and your use of Facebook. The survey is open to users of Facebook who are over 18 years old.

Possible discomforts or risks include discomfort in thinking about why you may have unfriended someone or may have been unfriended by someone else. There may be risks the researchers have not thought of.

Every effort will be made to protect your privacy and confidentiality by not asking identifying questions.

You have a choice about being in this study. You do not have to be in this study if you do not want to be.

Thank you,
Christopher Sibona
PhD Student in Information Systems

Survey Link: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/unfriend-b

2010-04-30 10:20 AM
in reply to: #2828168

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
Subject: RE: Unfriend Study
Questions 5 and 6 asking about appropriate posting frequency should be combined.

I don't care how often people post as long as it's worth reading. There is no option for that on Question 5 while question 6 asks if that is what is preferred.

Hope I make sense there.
2010-04-30 10:21 AM
in reply to: #2828168

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-04-30 10:29 AM
in reply to: #2828280

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Unfriend Study
Yeah, question 5 and 6 are on the same topic - but I broke them up because the response labels flow off the screen on most browsers. I want to make sure people can see the choices (strongly disagree...strongly agree) especially since this section has a 'not applicable' heading. I have received similar responses about what people find of interest.

Thanks.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Unfriend Study Rss Feed