General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wanted: open water swim partner in Erie, PA Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-30 12:15 PM

Veteran
Subject: Wanted: open water swim partner in Erie, PA
I'm looking for a swim partner for OWS in Erie.  I have in mind to get into the water at the entrance to Presque Isle State Park, and go southwest from there.  I can travel to Edinboro, as well. 

Anyone interested in partnering up?  I am a novice swimmer, and I tend to grind out laps at about 2:04/100 yards in my pool.  I suspect I'll be faster in a wetsuit, but that is my intent - to get used to the suit.

Times can be discussed later, if there is anyone interested in getting together.

Scott

2010-05-02 6:46 PM
in reply to: #2828726

User image

Champion
Butler
Subject: RE: Wanted: open water swim partner in Erie, PA

I would love to join you but don't know if it is feasible.  My parent live not too far from there but since I am IM training it is tough to do much training where I can't do a nice long bike ride after.

BTW, what are the rules about swimming in the lake by yourself?  Just make sure you don't have to be in a swim area.

2010-05-04 7:59 AM

Veteran
Yeah, thanks for the note, but I can understand why you don't want to join me.  Your training interests might not coincide with mine.

There are locations where it is legal to swim in the lake at unguarded areas outside Presque Isle State Park and outside Presque Isle Bay.  But, I don't think I want to swim open water alone, not in Lake Erie, at least.  Too many high waves and rip currents.

I guess, for now, I just have to stick to the pool.

Scott
2010-07-26 11:46 PM
in reply to: #2835323

Hey I know this is an older post but I was wondering if you ended up finding somewhere to swim open water in Erie? I have just recently moved to the Erie area and started biking and running on Presque Isle. But I was not sure what water's you were allowed to swim in. Thanks for the help
2010-07-27 6:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fleetwood, PA
3darcher2 has a post below (as of now) about an OWS partner in Presque Isle.  Maybe you could get in touch with them, too
2010-07-29 10:06 PM

User image

Natrona Heights, PA
I just swam inside the buoys in the park today.  It's just a one day trip for me.

FWIW, I asked a lifeguard and he said right before you enter the park and past Waldameer, there is a private beach you can get on.  No OWS in the park outside of the buoys.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wanted: open water swim partner in Erie, PA Rss Feed