General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Seat Pain - please help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-06 4:55 PM

Subject: Bike Seat Pain - please help
I am training for my first triathlon and just picked up a new Jamis Ventura bike.  This is my weakest leg coming into training as I haven't cycled much in the past.  I love the bike and have really loved riding, but can't ride too long (>10 miles) without my bottom absolutely killing me from the seat.  I bought the padded shorts but that really didn't help too much.

Do you get used to this or is there a way to cushion the seat?  Any tricks from you experienced triathletes???  Thanks!

2010-05-06 5:01 PM
in reply to: #2842307

User image

Master
Ohio
Subject: RE: Bike Seat Pain - please help

Assuming that your bike is properly adjusted to you (if not, go get a bike fitting and get it adjusted) I have 2 suggestions.

1. Try some chamios but'ter. It really helps.

2. Ride more.

Sometimes though, you just need a different seat. I can't ride more than about 90 minutes on my road bike without my, ahem, male areas going numb. I can ride literally all day long on my tri bike without issues. I have different saddles on each bike. I'd wait until you can ride 60-90 minutes before looking at different saddles though.

2010-05-06 5:02 PM
in reply to: #2842307

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Bike Seat Pain - please help
How much have you ridden on it?

If you just got it, and have not ridden very much, it could just be that you need to give it time to adjust.  I still get a little sore on my longest rides, but nothing like when I started.  I would practically be in tears within 5 minutes.  If you're not gradually seeing improvements in the length of time you can ride before it starts to become uncomfortable, the saddle may not be the right one for you.

On other thing, don't wear underwear under your bike or tri shorts.  That can cause additional chafing plus pressure points at the seams.  I am actually more comfortable with tri shorts with a thinner pad than bike shorts with a giant diaper of a pad.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Seat Pain - please help Rss Feed