General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Former competitive swimmer trying something new Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-11 1:26 AM

Subject: Former competitive swimmer trying something new
       Hi everyone!  I am signed-up for my first sprint triathlon (pool swim) in early June, and another open-water sprint triathlon in mid August.  I used to swim year-round in high school, so the swimming leg should go somewhat smoothly.  I have also run numerous 5K's, 10'K's, 10 milers and marathons.  When it comes to cycling, I am brand new to the competition circuit, let alone riding on a regular basis.  Therefore, putting all three disciplines together will be a great challenge!  

Due to my work schedule (night shift), I have been training solo.  Although, I would much prefer to train with other newbie triathletes; particularly for T2 brick sessions.  I live in Reston, Va, and I am aware that my area has a well-known triathlete club (RATS-Reston Area Triathletes).  However, I am wary of becoming a member since I have yet to complete a triathlon.  I have heard that triathlons are very addictive (not to mention, expensive!), but until I get a few under my belt, I don't want to jump into the "Tri" lifestyle with two feet.  

I was wondering if any other Tri newbies decided to join a Tri Club right from the start, or if you decided to hold off until you had finished a few races.  Anyways, best of luck to everyone in their Tri training and races!

Sara 

2010-05-11 7:28 AM
in reply to: #2850339

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-05-11 10:50 AM
in reply to: #2850339

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
Subject: RE: Former competitive swimmer trying something new
swensonagger - 2010-05-11 2:26 AM        Hi everyone!  I am signed-up for my first sprint triathlon (pool swim) in early June, and another open-water sprint triathlon in mid August.  I used to swim year-round in high school, so the swimming leg should go somewhat smoothly.  I have also run numerous 5K's, 10'K's, 10 milers and marathons.  When it comes to cycling, I am brand new to the competition circuit, let alone riding on a regular basis.  Therefore, putting all three disciplines together will be a great challenge!  

Due to my work schedule (night shift), I have been training solo.  Although, I would much prefer to train with other newbie triathletes; particularly for T2 brick sessions.  I live in Reston, Va, and I am aware that my area has a well-known triathlete club (RATS-Reston Area Triathletes).  However, I am wary of becoming a member since I have yet to complete a triathlon.  I have heard that triathlons are very addictive (not to mention, expensive!), but until I get a few under my belt, I don't want to jump into the "Tri" lifestyle with two feet.  

I was wondering if any other Tri newbies decided to join a Tri Club right from the start, or if you decided to hold off until you had finished a few races.  Anyways, best of luck to everyone in their Tri training and races!

Sara 

yep, i'm new, and joined local clubs (other side of the bridge) - wanted to meet other folks with the same interests, am seeking any/all advice, and particularly like group training - esp on bike. membership fees are minimal, and you can be as involved or uninvolved as you choose to be. i also think it's a nice way to support the sport, and have found local clubs particularly welcoming - no one checks to see if i'm a member of whatever club-sponsored group ride i'm tagging along on, but i figure joining the clubs are a nice way to reciprocate the support.

you doing the OWS in reston memorial day weekend? will be my 1st race of any kind....(if you don't count high school track meets & swim meets 30 years ago). i thought that the clinic on saturday would be particularly helpful, too.....

good luck yourself!
Smile
2010-05-11 1:19 PM
in reply to: #2851151

Thank you for your reply!  I think I would also benefit from group training, especially concerning cycling and running.  What is the OWS?  I am also considering signing-up for the Reston Century, as I really need to work on my cycling skills/endurance/speed.  Have you participated in any local cycling events?

I will definitely consider joining a local triathlon club, as it sounds they are a great way to get advice, support, and camaraderie!

Thank you again for the post, and best of luck with your training and scheduled races!

Sara 
2010-05-11 1:20 PM
in reply to: #2850520

Thank you for your reply, I will check out the Virginia forum.
2010-05-11 1:29 PM
in reply to: #2851665

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
swensonagger - 2010-05-11 2:19 PM Thank you for your reply!  I think I would also benefit from group training, especially concerning cycling and running.  What is the OWS?  I am also considering signing-up for the Reston Century, as I really need to work on my cycling skills/endurance/speed.  Have you participated in any local cycling events?

I will definitely consider joining a local triathlon club, as it sounds they are a great way to get advice, support, and camaraderie!

Thank you again for the post, and best of luck with your training and scheduled races!

Sara 

My only local cycling events have been group rides with MOCO & Mid-MD tri clubs, which have been great. For the OWS, see http://www.restonmasters.org/jmls/.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Former competitive swimmer trying something new Rss Feed