General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Colorado Springs AFA Road Rides Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-19 12:52 PM

User image

Crested Butte
Subject: Colorado Springs AFA Road Rides
I have a 4 - 6 month temporary work assignment in Colorado Springs and am wondering if any of you in Colorado Springs can fill me on the Air Force Academy rides? I am living on the north end and can get to the South Gate quickly which would make it easy to do a quick evening ride after work. I have heard you need a photo id to get into the area, is that true? Also, are there any additional restrictions to my entering and riding the roads in the area. In addition, if I don't ride in is there a good place to park inside or outside the AFA property. Thanks for any info you can provide. 

2010-05-20 9:14 AM
in reply to: #2868674

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Subject: RE: Colorado Springs AFA Road Rides
Yes, you will need an ID to get into the AFA. Make sure the ID is not expired or they won't let you on base, and if you are driving with an expired license they can arrest you. The only restrictions I'm aware of is staying out of the Cadet areas. None of the main biking routes go through the Cadet areas so it's pretty easy to avoid them. There is a small parking lot just before the North Gate, as well as parking at the visitors attractions on Stadium Drive or Academy Drive. A good place to stage from is the parking lot in front of the stadium.

I live south of Colorado Springs and don't often ride at the AFA, but there are generally several groups that ride there every weekend.
2010-05-20 10:16 AM
in reply to: #2870593

User image

Crested Butte
thanks for the info it is much appreciated.
2010-05-21 6:47 AM
in reply to: #2868674

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colo Springs, CO
Aside from the parking lots Don mentioned, there is also a dirt "lot" (more of a dirt strip next to a side road) at the S. Gate (Academy) entrance. You must wear a helmet. And the guards will sometimes say something to you if you don't signal to drivers when you are changing lanes to get in line to show ID at the entrance. And I saw them give a nice long lecture to "that guy" that tried to bypass the line of cars and just go to the front of the line one time. 

There is a group that meets downtown on Sat and Sun and rides to the AFA and back downtown, but they are a "race pace" "we'll drop you in a heartbeat" group. Lot's of Cat1 riders and they really know how to work a paceline. Aside from that, I've seen group rides there but don't know anything about the other groups. You'll see lots of triathletes there, probably because Stadium Blvd is the closest thing we have to a flat road in the area, although it's definitely not flat. 

I ride there 3-4x/week (I work across the freeway off N.Gate and live at the N. end of Black Forest, so it's really convenient) and  it's some of the safest roads around, not to mention beautiful. Even if I'm doing a longer ride, I usually start or end with a loop around the AFA. Look out for large herds of deer (sometimes more than 20 at a time) and elk (much less common.)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Colorado Springs AFA Road Rides Rss Feed