General Discussion Race Reports! » Wisconsin Marathon and Half-Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Wisconsin Marathon and Half-Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kenosha, Wisconsin
United States
Wisconsin Marathon
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 500/3200
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at Super 8 the night before. Booo to the person who booked that. Slept, but not well. The morning meal consisted of a couple Cliff Bars and 64oz of Gatorade and a Venti Starbucks. enjoyed it. Had a good ride to the race site and hung out with Brad, Joh, & Tim chatting pre-race.
Event warmup:

Not much walked around. Put on the shades and hat and got ready to go.
Run
  • 1h 57m 29s
  • 13.2 miles
  • 08m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

Normal half for me, sadly. Went out and felt great for the first 9. Then, felt the twinge of cramps. Normally the cramps are claves, but my quads were actually the first to go on this run. I'm guessing it was due to the hills, which I had no prep for. I kept up with Brad and Tim through 7 miles. I had to let them go and kept at that opint and tried to slow it down, knowing I was going a touch too fast. Unfortunately 2 miles later it was too late. Every mile I'd look at my pace and it was just too fast. I thought I was slowing down, but never happened until Body forced me to. Can't complain with a PR, but the distance continues to frustrate me. I can run a 8:30 all day long (well, for 14 miles) in training, but not in a race.
What would you do differently?:

Hill training and maybe go out slower. However, my training runs were all at 8:30. So, the 8:20 shouldn't have broken me.
Post race
Warm down:

Met up with Brad & Tim, Hydrated, cheered John & Becca to their finish. Tried to work out cramps.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cramps in quads

Event comments:

Really enjoyed the race. Great course, well run, not too crowded at all. I was able to run my race the whole way. Also, tons of drink stations and greta volunteers. Community support wasn't awesome, but race organizers did all they could. I was very happy i did this race.

Last updated: 2010-05-25 12:00 AM
Running
01:57:29 | 13.2 miles | 08m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/3200
Performance: Average
First 9 miles averaged about 8:20. Last 4 averaged suck:00
Course: Interesting course. Started out very flat, winding through neighborhoods and downtown. Then, went through a park with rolling hills. Miles 7-10 were very exposed to the sun in the park. Finsihed up with the last two miles coming back in through the neighborhoods and downtown. All on wide open streets.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-25 3:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL
Subject: Wisconsin Marathon and Half-Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wisconsin Marathon and Half-Marathon Rss Feed