Race Day Events
72F / 22C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 03m 15s
Overall Rank = 52/254
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 7/18
Pre-race routine:

Ate 1/2 banana, small bowl of Total w/ milk, small OJ, multiviamins & 16-oz water. During the 1 hour drive to the event, drank 20-oz water w/ Nuun.
Event warmup:

Limited jogging & stretching.
Swim
  • 08m 22s
  • 350 meters
  • 02m 23s / 100 meters
Comments:

Good water entry into a shallow pool & maintained a good consistent stroke rate & transitioned between lanes well (you could stand up on either end); targeting an 8-minute swim. Passed 5-6 folks & ran into a guy that was swimming 50m hard, then resting, then 50m hard, etc. He passed me and I passed him about every length; I've not seen that technique before. Breathing every other stroke; every 4th when passing.
What would you do differently?:

A friend noticed that I wasn't kicking very well, so I need to work on a 2-beat kick (or none at all).
I did take 15s/100m off of my last competition, so I am getting a little better.
Transition 1
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

The light rain caused every thing to be wet, but I ran well from pool exit to transition at a steady pace & choose my bike placement well. I put it at the entrance to the transition, so I was running with the bike while I was still fresh; this worked well. I had my helmet on my aerobars w/ sunglasses inside (plastic bag over these; put these on first, then shoes. I ran well with the bike, pushing from the seat and only missed clipping in on the first try.

Eventually get comfortable with having my shoes in the pedals, after fumbling with this at Tri-Delt. At most, this cost me a few seconds. Also, I will eventually have to learn to get socks and gloves on for longer rides, but for now I'm fine without them.
Bike
  • 31m 45s
  • 10 miles
  • 18.90 mile/hr
Comments:

I rode the course 2-days before the race, so was aware of the speed opportunities and hazards. This really helped on the wet course. While it didn't rain much during the bike leg, the pavement was slick. I believe I rode up to my current abilities and made up a lot of race spots, especially on the hills. I was appropriately cautious on the turns and avoided any mishps.

Work on cadence; not bad, but an opportunity.
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

I had an excellent spot @ the transition entrance (1st rack on the right), so I only needed to run with the bike for a short distance. I think this minimized not pulling my feet out before dismounting. Good transition; partly due to my new Zoot running shoes which I slipped into very easily. Hit a good pace even before exiting the transition area.

Practice pulling my feet out of the shoes on flat or downward slopping bike finishes

Run
  • 20m 16s
  • 2.6 miles
  • 07m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

I pushed pretty hard on the bike and was a little concerned about how much I had left for the run, but this wasn't a problem. I took advantage of the downhill portion going out (course recon helped) and held a steady pace on the mostly uphill return. I still had good energy level left once I crested the final hill and hit the mildly downhill finish. I raced in my new Zoots for the firt time and I like them on 10k and less. I'll likely need to use my Nimbus for longer runs, just not enough cushion in the Zoots for a long pounding.

I haven't run much lately, so that might have helped.
Post race
Warm down:

1/4-mile run/walk, light stretch; carb replacement

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training - Between vacation and a pseudo-taper week last week, I've not trained much in the past 2 weeks.

Event comments:

Good organization and great support from the volunteers; especially the boy scouts. I'll likely do this again.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-03-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:22 | 350 meters | 02m 23s / 100meters
Age Group: 14/18
Overall: 187/254
Performance: Average
Suit: Zoot Trisuit
Course: 7 lengths across John Sevier 50m outdoor pool, staggered at 5-sec increments, swimming under lane markers at each turn.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:42
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:31:45 | 10 miles | 18.90 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/18
Overall: 30/254
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 10-mile moderate hilly course (no long climbs) with some good speed opportunities, but some of these came to an abrupt turns limiting your ability to take advantage of your downhill speed. Generally a good surface, but quite a few cars.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:20:16 | 02.6 miles | 07m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/18
Overall: 71/254
Performance: Average
Course: Basically 1.3 miles downhill out, and 1.3 miles uphill back (none very steep) winding through local residential area. Nice course, made even better by a persistent light rain.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes