HFP Racing
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 45m 14s
Overall Rank = 399/434
Age Group = Clydes3
Age Group Rank = 10/14
Pre-race routine:

The Tuesday before the race I did a "Backyard Tri". I swam 22 minutes in my pool with the rented wetsuit. Transitions were in my garage. It took me 58 minutes to do the bike in my subdivision and finally 55 minutes to do the run(mostly walk) to finish off. After that I did some swimming and mostly stationary bike leading up to the race.

I stayed on a consistant diet through the week with the hopes of no gastric surprises on race day. That part worked! I got up at 5am and was at the event around 6:15. I had a granola bar, a Gu, and a banana before the race.

I almost go there soon enough to get the end spot on the rack. I took my 5 gal bucket to carry my stuff and double as a seat for the transitions. Up to this point all was going very well.
Event warmup:

Warm-up??? Unfortunately I was too caught up in the sights, sounds, and directing the family where to go. Almost waited to long to get into the wetsuit. No time to jump in pool.
Swim
  • 16m 26s
  • 700 meters
  • 02m 21s / 100 meters
Comments:

Who knew Sunlight Pool had a current??! Coming out of the deep end on the home stretch leg there is a very nice assisting current. The bad thing is the first time around it is not a home stretch and you must make a turn and swim into the current. This was the only section I walked. The wetsuit proved to be very helpful especially when it came to the bottlenecks on the deep end turns.
What would you do differently?:

I could definately benefit from more training. If I follow through on that, I may consider skipping the wetsuit next year and try to swim around the bottlenecks.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

No transition times were posted. When getting out of the wetsuit I held on to the cap and googles too long and I threw them (the goal was to leave them in the arm of the wetsuit). Had to stop and pick them up. I got to my bike and getting out of the wetsuit rather easily. The bucket proved to be beneficial as it made drying the feet and getting socks and shoes on pretty easy as well. I had the race number pinned to the shirt I put on.

Leave the cap and goggles in the suit next time.
Bike
  • 47m 37s
  • 20 kms
  • 25.20 km/hr
Comments:

I coasted a few times but, immediately caught myself and managed to just keep pedaling. It paid off in my opinion. the bad thing was my hands going numb as the race went over the half way mark.

My bike is a Schwinn hybrid CrissCross, with straight handlebars. I am not fond of the straight bars. I do have extentions on the ends and ergo pads but, my hands still get numb. I think I will beef up the ol 1978 Schwinn Letour IV I have. I think I would like the feel of the curved handle bars and going back to 10 speeds instead of 21.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

This transition was quick in my opinion. I peddled in my running shoes so all I had to do was ditch the bike and the helmet.

Nothing really.
Run
  • 41m 10s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 13m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Basically, I wimped out on this and ended up walking what felt like 90% of the course. My excuse was my heartrate. I have yet to run a full 3 miles. My training had me to the point of 2 min run/2 min walk. The best I ever did doing this was 39 min for 5k according to LA Fitness treadmill. When I was doing this at LA my HR woudld fluctuate from the mid 170s at the end of the runs to mid 130s at the end of the walks. During this race, after 30sec of running I was at 187 and eventhough I was walking I don't think I ever went below 155.

I did try to walk as fast as I could but, to get within 2 minutes of my best time leaves me wondering if they have my bike and run numbers reversed??

Another thing I let get to me mentally was at the beginning of the run it seemed every time I started to run, I felt like I was "stomping" my feet rather than have a smooth running technique????

More training, more pushing, and for God's sake do a clothing check before the finish line! The belly hanging out as I crossed the line did not make for the best action photo! LOL
Post race
Warm down:

Warm down??? If you call drinking some ice water and holding the Grandson for pictures a warm down then, I would say yes... I had a good warmdown. :o)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training, plain and simple.

Event comments:

This is an awesome race for beginners!! I would rate it a 5 but, I have nothing to compare it to. I am very glad this turned out to be my first race!

Last updated: 2010-01-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:26 | 700 meters | 02m 21s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 0/434
Performance: Good
Suit: TYR C1
Course: It is a HUGE cement pond as Jed would say. So big that a course is laid out. Two laps is the 700m swim. Sort of "M" shaped in the deep end and "w" shaped in the shallow
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:47:37 | 20 kms | 25.20 km/hr
Age Group: 10/14
Wind: None
Course: Pretty flat for the most part. I do not think I could ask for a better course to be my first. The road was normally 4 lanes. They had the right lanes blocked on both sides for the riders. The police did an excellent job in my opinion. One of the coolest parts was the exit coming off of I-275, there was about 30 cars backup because of the bikers. There was a big gap behind me and I tried to pick it up to catch the guy in front of me. All of a sudden all those cars started beeping their horns!! Most likely they just wanted the traffic to get moving but, I just figured they were rooting me on.... so I waved as I caught up to the guy at the intersection! LOL
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:41:10 | 03.11 miles | 13m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/14
Performance: Bad
Course: Very flat and pleasant with good scenery changes as you run through the park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-03 8:00 PM

User image

Subject: Tri for Joe at Coney Island

2010-06-04 1:23 PM
in reply to: #2900122

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Subject: RE: Tri for Joe at Coney Island
Congratulations Triathlete!

Sounds like it went pretty well considering your lack of training.  I'm really proud of you for sticking with it and making it through.

How much did you pay to rent the wetsuit?  I bet the wetsuit made you quite a bit faster and I wouldn't recommend racing without one unless it is a non wetsuit legal race.  Xtrerra has some awesome deals on wetsuits.  I'll actually get great discount on their suits because they sponsor my tri team.  If you're interested, I can probably get you a great deal.  If this sport is something you want to stick with, I think it would be a very wise investment.

Sounds like the bike went pretty well and we just need to get you training more.  I'm confident if you spent more time training, you could complete a triathlon with very little walking.  However, I think it was very smart of you to keep an eye on your heart rate and not allow it to get too high.

Congrats once again Timmy!  I really hope you stick with this and start training for another race soon!

2010-07-06 6:53 AM
in reply to: #2900122

User image

Regular
Vienna, VA
Subject: RE: Tri for Joe at Coney Island
Great Job Tim... Really. The first one is always the hardest.

Kinda blending your email and your race report here in my response ...

As a beginner, I definitely agree with the comment above that you should keep the wetsuit. Wetsuits give you so much advantage -- you simply cannot go wrong in a wetsuit. If you are planning a lake swim, then wetsuits are a must, unless they are disallowed due to water temperature.

The number 1 thing you can do is *something* every day. If running is your weakness, then you need to run EVERY OTHER DAY (give your muscles a chance to recover). Distance? Make sure that at least once a week your longrun is 10% more than the previous week. If you can run 1 mile, then run 1.1 miles the following week. After three weeks of this, back off to the same distance of week two. For example, if you do this

Week 1 long run: 1 mile
Week 2 long run: 1.1 miles
Week 3 long run: 1.2 miles

Then in week 4 you would run 1.1 miles as your long run.

This build's a stair-case pattern of distance, yet gives your body time to rest.

Now, just so you are aware, I'm on a THREE-week pattern, meaning that these old bones like to recover every THREE weeks, not FOUR, so I build only on weeks 1 and 2 and recover on Week 3.

On the days you are not running, swimming in your pool will be great for your joints. I highly suggest that you keep doing that every day if you can (without the wetsuit, of course). Alternating days of swimming and running can have a great, tremendous impact on your endurance.

While I was going through physical therapy for my knee, I was forbidden from running on the ground -- I had to run in the pool. Boring, yes, friggin' killer workout, yes. When I finally was able to start running on the ground I rocked ... and got there without any issues of being overweight and impacting my knee. I suggest you get a set of pool tennis shoes and run back and forth for 20 minutes in the pool -- you'll be surprised at what it does to your HR, and eventually, your endurance.

The bike. Ahhhhhhhhh, the bike. The bike is a time sink. It takes you away from your family, literally, and it becomes the other woman in your life. My wife quips that I ride my "black " (I own a black OCR3 from Giant) more than I ride her. The bike is largely where (for me) 2/3 of my triathlon performance is determined. I will NEVER win my age group in the water, and I will NEVER win my age group running. Perhaps, just perhaps, I WILL win my age group on the bike some day. I love the bike. I started on an old steel Schwinn with down-tube shifters which weighed 32#. It's not about the bike -- it's about the engine.

If you continue to do sprints, then your T-bars are fine. Really. Your heart-rate and body don't know the difference between a set of drop bars or the T-bars for Sprint distances. Keep whatever bike is comfortable at the present moment. What is more important is to get your HR up for short bursts (to build muscle strength), and to keep it LOW (to build endurance). There is no other way to simulate time in the saddle -- you need time in the saddle. Fortunately, riding a bike IS THE BEST way to 1) lose weight, and 2) improve your endurance, both without the damage that comes from killing your joints. PROTECT YOUR KNEES, and a bike is the perfect way to do this. My knee surgeon told me that every 10# of extra weight that I was carrying was 30# of downward force on my knees, which is why I've had two knee surgeries in the last 4 years. Correspondingly, I'm carrying nearly 90# of more downward force than what I should be, hence why I've been focused on the bike and swimming lately. So goal #1 is to ride your bike, and lose weight at the same time. Running (in the pool) will get easier.

So, with your upcoming race in August, start now. Do SOMETHING every day. Log it on here. I too work a killer schedule, but somehow squeeze the time in. I want to see a swim, bike or run workout logged here every day except Friday! YOU CAN DO THIS!

Give me a call sometime and let's catch up ... (703) 509-5332.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri for Joe at Coney Island Rss Feed