Multisports Canada
20C / 68F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 47m 4s
Overall Rank = 50/93
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 17/24
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:40 AM. Ate a slice of wheat toast with peanut butter, banana and sipped water. Did some mild stretching and put gear in the truck. Drove and picked up training buddy, Dallin, then off to the race!
Arrived at the race about 7:10 AM. There was still no communication on whether the swim would proceed as the water temperature was only 10C a couple of days ago. When it was announced that the swim would proceed (water temp 14.8C), we got in to "acclimatize". Wow! The water was cold!

Event warmup:

About 20 min before the start, had a gel and sipped on some water.
Did a short second dip just before the horn to get used to the water again. The neoprene swim cap made a huge difference!

Swim
  • 29m 6s
  • 2 meters
  • 32h 20m / 100 meters
Comments:

Actual swim time was 27:51. 100 m jog 1:15 See below.
A bit of bumping (gotta get used to this for IMC) at the start but nothing too bad. Took a big swallow of water within the first 2 min. That threw me off. The first lap I was all over the place, and someone actually was drafting off of me for a while. Wasn't happy with the extra metres added to the swim but very happy with my time.
Lap 1: 13:44.68
Lap 2: 14:06.07
The second lap also included a 100 m run from the beach to the transition area. Negative split on the swim! Very happy with that.
What would you do differently?:

I switched from a bilateral breathing stroke (once every 3 strokes) to every 2 strokes (for more power). I think this threw my bearing off. Practice this more.
Transition 1
  • 04m 49s
Comments:

A bit of fumbling with the wetsuit.
Ate a banana and sipped some drink while in transition. Grabbed my truck keys out of my bin to give to my wife (she showed up later with the kids). On the way out, threw them to the family.

I should have filled my "foot bucket" with water before so I could wash off. That could have saved me a bit of time with all the sand I had to clean off. Also could have shaved some time off if I didn't have to go back to my bin for the truck keys.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 13s
  • 40 kms
  • 31.91 km/hr
Comments:

I drank 1 bottle and a bit from a second one. Also ate one gel on the bike, at the beginning of the second lap. I don't know my lap splits but the first lap was under 39 min so that would make my second lap around 36 min, which was good as I let off for the last couple hundred metres.

Possibly could have pushed it a bit harder on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 02m 28s
Comments:

This transition went quite smoothly. Several of the fields above the comments are things I have never tried.

Try and incorporate the suggestions (riding with feet on top of shoes, jumping off moving bike, etc.
Run
  • 55m 29s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 33s  min/km
Comments:

A few minutes into the run, I realized that I needed to pee. Groan! The only potties were in transition, which was a bit from the run course. Someone said I could use a bush, but put it off. Survived without have to do that :)
Felt pretty good on the run. My HR was higher than in training. I guess that could be usual?
Only aid station was at the start of the run, not two as listed on the website. No worries. Each time I only took water and at the start of the 3rd lap, I swallowed a gel. Also for the last 2 laps, drank 1 water, doused head with second cup. Helped with the temperature.

Pee before leaving transition?
No issues with cramping, as in past events, so my nutrition must have been good.
Post race
Warm down:

Met Dallin and my family at the finish line. Was very pleased with my time as this shaves off 17 minutes from my last Olympic race! Awesome!
Sipped some water and ate some snacks, banana, cookies, apple.
Great to have the family there cheering me on and greeting me at the finish!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not going as strong as I possibly could have on the bike? Not much I would change. More training, more races, better time. Also next year I jump up an age cat. (40-49).

Event comments:

The volunteers were excellent on this race. This was also very organized and a fun race to do. I will tackle this race again in the future and would recommend to others too.
The only feedback is out of the hands of the race director. Better pavement on the road.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-05-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:06 | 02 meters | 32h 20m / 100meters
Age Group: 17/24
Overall: 55/93
Performance: Good
Average HR was 155. Breathing felt good but was a little wobbly getting out of the water.
Suit: Nineteen wetsuit
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 15C / 59F Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:49
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:15:13 | 40 kms | 31.91 km/hr
Age Group: 17/24
Overall: 53/93
Average HR 156 for the bike ride.
Wind: Some
Course: The road was quite bumpy and rough. Noticed several on the side fixing flats.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:28
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:55:29 | 10 kms | 05m 33s  min/km
Age Group: 15/24
Overall: 50/93
Lap 1: 13:56 HR 161 Lap 2: 14:08 HR 163 Lap 3: 13:55 HR 167 Lap 4: 14:10 HR 172 This last lap also added some distance from the circuit to the finish.
Course: 4 lap circuit along trails. At one point, three races were on (Duathlon, Sprint and Olympic).
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-06 6:34 PM

Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta
Subject: Lake Summerside Triathlon

2010-06-06 10:02 PM
in reply to: #2903913

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Lake Summerside Triathlon

Yeah, the pavement could still use some improvement, but it was waaaaay better than last year.

I'm pretty sure I saw you out there (there aren't a lot of us with beards). I'll be posting my race report soon. Great job on a huge personal best!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Summerside Triathlon Rss Feed