General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hey there Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-09-12 2:48 PM

Subject: Hey there
Hi--I'm all new to this stuff. I mean, I swim for an hour and rollerblade for an hour each day (+ride horses), and I REALLY want to try this whole triathalon thing. Does anyone have some sort of "starting out" program. Oh yeah, I heard triathalon training makes for bulky bodies (BIG legs MUSCLEY arms, WIDE necks) and as a girl, I dont want to look like a pro wrestler. Any advice would be well aprecciated!

2003-09-12 4:04 PM
in reply to: #762

User image

Central Louisiana
Subject: RE: Hey there
Well all I can tell you as that the women that are in our local tri club don't look like they are on the pro wrestling circuit. Many of them have more muscle definition due to the fact that they have decrease body fat percentages. I would venture to say that if you’re not built that way now (lots of big muscles), you’re not going to get that way from doing triathlons. Go to the next local race and see if you see any ladies that are muscle bound.

Still Tri'n
Michael
2003-09-12 4:12 PM

Regular
Springfield, Ohio
Subject: RE: Hey there
I can testify to Michael's observation. All the women that passed me on the bike during my first tri (and they ALL passed me as I was dead last at the end) were in good shape, but not bodybuilder types at all. More runner builds than anything else.
2003-09-13 4:41 AM

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: not going for that muscley look?

for a program, generally u want to do your swim,bike and run each 2wice per week - that is 6 workouts, or double up 2 of them and get a 5day program.  with your strong swimming (u have decent form and do forward crawl right?), u can start out running, then in a month or two, bring in cycling.  follow the 2 rules:  never go up in distance/duration by more than 10% a week and always schedule a 'rest' week of a 30-50% decrease every month.  see  gettingstarted 

once your doing all three sports for at least several months (base builidng) then it will be time to start your pre-race workout.  about 13 weeks of increasing intensity leading up to your race.  an example for a sprint length is at sprintprogram 

hopefully this gives u an idea.  i guess first thing u want to do is to figure out what distance u want to do and what time frames your operating under - these 2 will dictate your training program.  check out find_your_tri 

we welcome any of your questions.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hey there Rss Feed