General Discussion Triathlon Talk » AC Joint reconstruction? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-26 7:08 PM

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
Subject: AC Joint reconstruction?
I know cross posting is frowned upon and I've already posted this question in the Injuries/Health section, but I got one response and I know there are more then two of us who have separated their shoulder. So here goes:

Is getting the joint rebuilt worth it?

I have a grade 3 separation to my left AC joint from a fall about 3 years ago. For the most part it doesn't bother me. But there are a couple issues. If I reach for something at a weird angle I get pain, this isn't a big deal and would not warrant surgery by it's self. I get discomfort while swimming from my collar bone shifting around. On longer runs my neck and upper back muscles get strained from supporting my arm. I have problems sleeping on my side (my preferred position). If I lay on my right side, when my left shoulder relaxes my collar bone gets displaced and it's uncomfortable. Laying on my left side causes pain.

So when I was in talking to the orthopedic doctor about an ankle issue I asked his thoughts on ac joint reconstruction. Of course he makes a living cutting people open, but his reputation is that he only recommends surgery if it's the best course of action. He thought that because I am 3 years out from the injury, it's not a pt or recovery issue. I can either live with the issues I have, or go under the knife and get the joint rebuilt.

My biggest concern is, will this fix the issues I am having now? If I did not love swimming so much I'd probably deal with the strain running and the sleeping issues.

2010-06-26 7:31 PM
in reply to: #2945793

User image

Master
Dirt Road
Subject: RE: AC Joint reconstruction?
I had mine rebuilt in 2001 and have had no problems. It is a little weaker than my other but I think that is a result of poor rehab. I have not swam since the 70's until May of this year. I am currently doing about 6000yds a week and my rebuilt feels better than my other one. It feels better but it is not as strong.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » AC Joint reconstruction? Rss Feed