General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help, my handlebars aren't legal! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-27 12:52 PM

Donostia-San Sebastián
Subject: Help, my handlebars aren't legal!
I moved from the US to Spain and brought my tri bike with me.  This week, I entered my first tri and was surprised to find as I was bringing my bike into the boxes that my handlebars were not legal.  Apparently they follow the International Triathlon Union rules (which allow drafting) and as such, disallow the common US tri setup.  Getting DQed before I started was a bit discouraging.

How should I go about converting my tri bike to more of a road setup?  Is it as simple as changing the handlebars?  I like the position I am in now with the aerobars, and I don't want to lose that.  I still don't know too much about bikes, so any input would help.  I have found lots of articles on how to make your road bike more tri-friendly, but nothing the other way.  Thanks for help.

2010-06-27 8:57 PM
in reply to: #2946398

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Help, my handlebars aren't legal!
that's weird.  What kind of bars to you have?
2010-06-28 5:29 AM

User image

Regular
Niddatal, Germany
I can't imagine that every triathlon in Spain is draft legal, just as not every triathlon in Germany or any other European country is draft legal. Maybe it was just that specific triathlon. There are countless triathlons all over Europe that are not draft legal and in which tri bikes are allowed.

As everywhere, you can learn about the rules of any specific triathlon at the race office before the race. This avoids showing up with the wrong bike. Wink

Edited by RGos 2010-06-28 5:29 AM
2010-06-28 8:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Virginia Beach
Hope this helps. (Click on description tab)

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/triathlon/10/Profile_T2_Draft-Legal_Aero_...

Edited by Bone Head 2010-06-28 8:04 AM
2010-06-28 4:50 PM

Donostia-San Sebastián
morey,
Just typical tri bars.  Profile design aerobars on a triathlon/TT bars.

Rgos,
You are correct that not all of the tris here are draft legal, but those near me that aren't are the longer distances (double olympic, IM or HIM) and I am not ready to do any of those.  I would like to participate in the sprint or Olympic distances, but at those distances in the tri circuit in my province, my setup is not allowed.

2010-06-28 4:53 PM
in reply to: #2947621

Donostia-San Sebastián
Bone Head,

Thanks for the link!  I suppose that will get me halfway there.  I think I still might need some drop down bars.  I am just concerned about my posture on the bike once I do that.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help, my handlebars aren't legal! Rss Feed