General Discussion Race Reports! » HSBC Triathlon Series. Half IronDistance Triathlon. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

HSBC Triathlon Series. Half IronDistance Triathlon. - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
welland, Ontario
Canada
28C / 82F
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 14m 6s
Overall Rank = 187/269
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 16/19
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early and drove down on Sunday morning. I didn't leave early enough and was scrambling to set of my transition and get down to the start in time.
Event warmup:

None - I put on my wetsuit and swam the 15 meters to the start line (first in water start for me!). I am a little under trained right now, so I was just wanted to finish and it was going to be a long enough day without a warm-up.
Swim
  • 34m 23s
  • 2187 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

For the swim, I was trying to take it easy. My bike isn't up to snuff right now, so I wanted to finish feeling strong and ready to tackle 3+ hours in the saddle. I think the swim may have been a little short, but oh well :) I came out of the water feeling like I had barely worked right on plan
What would you do differently?:

nothing
Transition 1
  • 04m 59s
Comments:

Time includes a 425 m run from the swim exit to the transition area. I had a gu in transition before heading out on the bike

nothing
Bike
  • 3h 12m 43s
  • 55.92 miles
  • 17.41 mile/hr
Comments:

My goal for this race was really just to finish. I didn't want to go to hard on the bike and have a bad run. Since my goal race isn't for over 4 months still (Florida) it was more of a training day. I've only had 1 90+ km bike and the second longest bike was 70K, so I wanted to make sure I was fresh for the run. Bike was overall good for me. I am not an overly fast cyclist (as you can probably tell from my time), but I think I could have pushed faster if this was a goal race. I need to find more races with flat bike courses! By the end of the bike, but back and butt were starting to hurt, so I kept counting down the km (only an average monday night ride, turnaround point in normal ride, etc). Visualizing the distance with my regular riding routes definitely helped in the last bit.

Actually train for the race? ;) (my swim and run distances were okay, but my bike has been more focused on form than distance thus far).
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

Pretty quick, I was in a bit of a daze. I forgot to take any nutrition with me, and forgot to remove my tire inflator from my back pocket and reapply sun screen

Remembered to take my carbon dioxide inflater thing out of my back pocket!
Run
  • 2h 20m 45s
  • 13.11 miles
  • 10m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Run went okay. My goal was to just keep a steady pace. from the start I knew if I raced conservatively I could get a big PR in this race. I just had to keep cool and not overheat on the run like I did at my last Half IM. At every aid station I walked a few step, took two waters (one dumped on my head) and an infinit. Plus a handfull of ice to put down my shirt and short. I got this tip from KathyG's Lonestar report. I think that really saved me from getting too hot. I had to go to the bathroom pretty bad the entire course but there were no porta potties! So no cool. I finally found one at 16 kmish. Thank god!

There was a long stretch (about 2 miles) in the sun were there were no aid stations. Tried pretzels and a banana to try to boost my salt levels at the next aid station after that and it so didn't work. Pretzels are impossible to eat when you are running. I think at Florida, these will be more emergency foods if I am walking and not for when I am actually running. I ended up having stomach/GI problems for a few km and almost considered DNFing when we ran close to the finish line at 14.5 km. Luckily the stomach cramps eased up after a while and I was able to pick up the pace a bit. I ended up passing a tonne of people on the run course and was only passed by a few people. A lot of people were really suffering in the heat.

I ended up finishing taking 18 minutes off my previous Half IM time, and if you take the run into T1 out of the mix, it was 20 minutes off! Very happy overall. My run time was still 7 minutes slower than my slowest stand alone half Marathon (and over 20 minutes off my PR), but it was 12 minutes faster than I did in my previous half IM where the heat wasn't quite as bad, so I'm happy that I found a way to deal with it yesterday.

Not eaten the banana and pretzels. Biked more. Not raced in a dangerous humidex?
Post race
Warm down:

got some food, packed up transition and drove home

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat, not being trained for a Half IM

Event comments:

No porta potties on bike course and only ones on run course were around 16 km!

Last updated: 2010-01-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:23 | 2187 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/19
Overall: 64/269
Performance: Good
Suit: Nineteen Riptide
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:59
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:12:43 | 55.92 miles | 17.41 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/19
Overall: 228/269
Kept heart rate in Zone 2/low zone 3 entire time.
Wind: Little
Course: flat one hill
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:20:45 | 13.11 miles | 10m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/19
Overall: 183/269
Kept HR in Zone 3/Zone 4
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-06-28 11:46 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: HSBC Triathlon Series. Half IronDistance Triathlon.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » HSBC Triathlon Series. Half IronDistance Triathlon. Rss Feed