General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Such a struggle! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-30 12:17 PM

Subject: Such a struggle!
So I got my thyroid checked like a few folks suggested. Completely,utterly normal. Everyone should have blood work as boring as mine! So I can't blame my non-existant weight loss on my thyroid even if I am close to menapause(TMI)! I am stuck, like a lot of us, between eating enough calories to train longer distances and cutting them to drop weight. Am I just going to be forever hating that scale once a week? I don't remember a time that I haven't been dieting in some form and I am 51 years old! Like others here, I can gain weight on 1200 cals a day but I sure hoped that training 10-15 hours a week for iron distance races would allow me to at least eat 2000 cals....Geez!
I know there are lots of good suggestions here and I read them all. I know it comes down to cals in/cals out but it sure seems on paper I am in the negative calorie wise. I eat healthy 85%, with a little room for error on the weekends when I really put in the training. Do I have to give up everything? I have tried eating much less at night and mostly during the day but that doesn't seem to last but a day.
I am doing The American TTT in Oct. A 3 day, 4 event tri covering over 140 miles in those days. I know, and hate the fact, that I will be the heaviest chick out there, as I usually am. That doesn't stop me from finishing every race I have started including B2B iron distance last year. I am always one of the last to finish and I have gotten OK with that.
Bottom line...I wanted to be happy with how I look at the start as well as happy that I finished.
Also, my joints need to be lighter at my age.
Just venting, for the most part. We all need a solution to this misery!
C

2010-07-01 6:51 AM
in reply to: #2953357

User image

Ann Arbor
Subject: RE: Such a struggle!
I don't know anything about what you weigh now, or what kinds of foods you eat, but it sounds like maybe you're not eating enough calories.  Your body can actually go into "starvation mode" on too few calories, and try to hold onto everything it can.  If you up your intake it actually boosts your metabolism.  You just have to make sure you are eating the right kinds of foods.  Lean protein, fruits and vegetables, whole grains, very little sugar, lots of water.  

If you post a few more specifics, like your food diary for the day or week, I'm sure you will get lots of advice from people in similar situations.

I don't claim to have all the answers.  I struggle with my weight as well!  I did lose 80 lbs and have kept it off for 3 years now, but I'm struggling with the last 20.  I know my performance would improve if I could get those last stubborn pounds off.  I congratulate you for sticking with it!
2010-07-01 11:37 AM

Well, I now weight about 180(yikes) at 5'6. I was 245 several years ago and dropped to 168 in 2008 but have been struggling ever since. That was the first year for IM training and I lost a whopping 7 pounds in 6 months of high voulume training. Weekdays I eat brown rice/eggs for breakfast, chicken and veggies(maybe some beans) for lunch, a greek yogurt and carrots/celery for a afternoon snack with a small peice of cheese then lean cusine/soup/ or sandwich for dinner. I don't do that well on the weekends, of course and I do have the occas Blue Moon I do limit portions on the weekends so I should see some improvement.
Oh well.......I am paying closer attention this week to the 40/30/30 thing. Maybe that will help.
C
2010-07-01 7:32 PM

User image

Expert
Maui, Hawaii
I agree, even though I am almost 10 yrd behind you at 42.  I've been very active, fitness wise, the past three years and have really transformed my diet.  That said, I'd rather be around the 140 mark than 150-152 that I've been stuck at for the last year, practically!  Yes, I'm happy that I lost 30 lbs in the first 2 years, but still see the 10 lbs of body fat that could still come off.

While training for my Oly this year, I ate between 1800-2000 cals a day.  Ate a lot of LF cottage cheese and lf greek yogurt for snacks (and the protein), lean meat, lots of fruit and veggies.  Stopped drinking diet Coke - have pretty much quit eating processed foods of any kind.

Last year I read Jillian Michaels' "Master Your Metabolism" and lost 6 lbs the first week.  I found the book to be very interesting as it focuses on our hormones and what you can eat to help or hinder them.

This summer I am planning to try the Paleo Diet, with the thought that maybe if I eliminate dairy and grains for awhile I can cut some of the body fat.  I'm willing to try it and see.

I do agree that you may not be eating enough, which is why your body is hanging on to the weight.  Are you eating planned, smaller meals throughout the day?  It might take some work, but really weigh and measure what you are eating and calculate your calories for a week or two and see where you are really coming out.  And count every cookie! Wink

BTW, how is your water/hydration?

You'll probably have to try a few different things to see what works for you.  Hang in there!

2010-07-02 8:13 AM

User image

Regular
Your body is adapted to your routein.  Same average calorie intake and same volume of training.  In stead of trying to explain the fix here in a long post. I suggest these 2 books.  They are by far the best books out there for breaking a stuck fat loss plateau. 

1. Crack the fat loss Code
2. Conquer the fat loss code

Both books by Wendy Chant.

I guarentee that it works.  It is balanced and meal plans for every day are layed out in clear detail.

I recomend both books but if you only get one get the 2nd one it has more information on exercise timing to get the best results.

Best of luck
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Such a struggle! Rss Feed