Mississippi Track Club
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 28m 42s
Overall Rank = 418/1007
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 13/46
Pre-race routine:

Slept a little later than planned, so not much except get coffee.
Event warmup:

Skipped the dynamic warmups as there was no real place to go back and forth looking foolish. So, opted for an easy 10 minute run followed by 2x3' tempo/1' easy and a couple of striders before the gun. I felt fine. Weather was cooler, but still quite humid.
Run
  • 28m 42s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Maybe I am just tired. I felt like I was working way too hard the first mile and was trying to settle into something like a strong but comfortable pace. When I heard the first mile time, though, I was really disappointed. For as hard as I felt I was pushing, an 8:40 was way off what I expected. It only got worse from there. I tip toed up the hills and even walked one short one. I kind of just pulled the plug about halfway in and considered it a "tempo" run rather than a race for the rest. I was drenched and completely worn out when I crossed the finish line.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe not train so much the weeks before a race I want to do well in. I just figured, well, it's only a 5k. Dead legs are dead legs, regardless.
Post race
Warm down:

Just some walking. I had intended to jog another mile, but, really, I was wiped. Not sure I could have.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heavy training the 2 weeks before? High humidity despite cooler temps?

Last updated: 2010-07-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:28:42 | 03.11 miles | 09m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/46
Overall: 46/1007
Performance: Below average
So, they use chips for this race, but no mat at the start. Time is still plus getting to the start line. So, not sure why they bother. Anyway, my time on my watch was about 5 seconds faster. HR was not as high as my effort made it feel like it ought to be.
Course: Starts on Lakeland by Sports Museum and loops around through local neighborhoods and into a business park. Long stretch on Lakeland to the finish. Surprisingly hilly with one fairly long climb right after mile 1.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes