Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-07-07 1:44 PM
in reply to: #2966291

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: HR Training in heat & humidity
Scout7 - 2010-07-07 3:35 PM  As long as I remain solid in my understanding of what my easy feels like, and remain brutally honest with myself about how I feel, then it should all come out the same in the end. The feeling of easy should be the same, no matter what. I do think we tend to lie to ourselves, though.

Yeah, easy is not a speed. Took me quite a while to learn that, from, uh, Scout.

2010-07-07 2:37 PM
in reply to: #2965919

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
bryancd - 2010-07-07 1:00 PM You said it was mid 80's and humid, but that's not too bad, your relative perception will not be too extreme. If it was 95+, you would likely "feel" a lot different. You can fudge your zones a bit for heat, but be very careful to understand the total amount of "stress" you are applying beyond you muscular system.

Yes.  The blue part is all I was trying to say.  I'm not talking about a huge difference here.  For me, it's around 5bpm at the lower zones, and just 2 or 3 at the upper zones.  These are small differences, but ones that I allow myself in the heat, more or less for the reasons I gave.  (Below 90 degrees or so I don't bother.)

I certainly agree with the orange part.
2010-07-07 2:55 PM
in reply to: #2966291

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Scout7 - 2010-07-07 2:35 PM People keep saying the "disconnect between HR and RPE". I don't see it as a disconnect between the two methods, I see it perhaps as a perceived difference. Truth is, "easy" is "easy", objectively speaking. I know what my easy feels like. And I know when I am not running at that level anymore. Does it really matter what my pace, or HR, or whatever else, are going to be at that specific point in time, assuming I do not follow them? Not really. The same holds true if I'm using HR. If it's hot, the assumption is that I will be going slower to stay within the same zone. RPE and pace should not really come into play in terms of deciding when to back off the effort or increase it. Follow your training. I cannot equivocally state that my HR falls within specific ranges when I run easy, no matter what. And to be honest, I don't think it matters. As long as I remain solid in my understanding of what my easy feels like, and remain brutally honest with myself about how I feel, then it should all come out the same in the end. The feeling of easy should be the same, no matter what. I do think we tend to lie to ourselves, though.

I primarily train by HR and during? a "normal" workout I have a pretty consistent correlation between my HR, ?R?P?E? and a given pace?? ??(?b?a?s?e?d? ????o?????????????????n? ?m?y? ?l?e?v?e?l? ?o?f? ?f?i?t?n?e?s?s??)?.????????  In hot weather, my RPE and pace may feel the same, but my HR spikes before I sense it through RPE (often times I notice it when my HR zone alarm goes off on my HRM.  T?hat ?w?a?s? the "disconnect" I was referring to.? ? ??

Mark

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HR Training in heat & humidity Rss Feed  

of 2