General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Some OT and T Savannah questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-09 8:58 PM

User image

Atlanta (BUTThead)
Subject: Some OT and T Savannah questions
I'm in Savannah for 6 weeks while I take an EMT class.  I have some Triathlon and Non-Triathlon questions and would love some help.  I'm staying near Hunter.

1.  Right now I just have my mountain bike (My GF will be bringing the road bike down in 2 weeks) and would like some nice off road trails to ride.  Scenic would be very cool (more chances of gators the better).  I know of Skidaway and have walked the trails.  I also think there is one near Ft Pulaski that I'm sure would be fun.  Other than that I'm not sure.

2.  Any good road routes?  I know from Savannah to Tybee is pretty much suicide and dodging the beach cruisers on Tybe doesn't sound too fun to me (I'd probably spend too much time "hydrating" at the beach bars anyways).  I did find a bike lane on Habersham but I don't believe it goes that far.  Also can you road bike the Talmadge?  The downhill would be sweeeeeet!!!

3.  I need to get a few bike related things and would love a recommendation of a good bike shop

4.  Pools!  I saw the Chatham County Aquatic Center but I also believe they have the 50m open.  Which I like but leaves less lanes available.  Also a good gym with a pool would be cool if they aren' too expensive for a single month.  Or an outdoor pool would be nice too.

5.  Any good places to eat besides historic downtown?

6.  Any good places to Kayak?  I might bring my Kayak down (just a little river one) in a few weeks.

Sorry for so many random questions but between studying, school, and picking up sick people I'd kind of like to have a little fun

Thanks in advance.

2010-07-10 6:33 AM
in reply to: #2972027

User image

Veteran
Guyton, Ga
Subject: RE: Some OT and T Savannah questions
rides:Road bike
          Sat 0800am espresso coffee shop ride downtown
          wed 600pm bicycle link recovery ride downtown
          some sundays kroger ride in rincon ga 0800am
          we have a small group that does rides on sundays in guyton, ga

Tom Triplett park has mountain bike trails (i have never rode these, but have friends that have.)

I use Bicycle link in Savannah and have been pleased with there service.
2010-07-11 6:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Roswell, GA
I know there is a marked route out in Pooler GA. You may be able to google and get some routes.

As for Kayaking, we used to kayak out to little Tybee and that was fun. You can also troll around in the intracoastal which is nice.
2010-07-12 6:34 AM

New user
Savannah, GA

1. I've biked Tom Tripplett Park out in Pooler. It's ok - no hills so it's technical. It can get flooded easily though, and with all the recent rain, I don't know that I'd ride it right now. Only other trail I know of in Savannah is the one you mentioned at Skidaway.

2. If you're near Hunter, you can ride a loop there. It's about a 10 mile loop, and they've just recently re-opened it up on weekdays for anyone to ride. You just show your driver's liscence to the guard.

Once you get your road bike, there are some good rides throughout the week. The ones David posted about are good, I like the saturday morning ride - they start off easy and then break into 4 groups - slow 30 mile ride, slow 40 mile, medium pace 40-45 mile ride, and fast 40-45 mile ride.
There is also a group of us who meet at 6 on Thursdays at the Southbridge Golf Club for brick training.

3. I agree with the recommendation on Bicycle Link. Also, Quality Bike is good (but always busy).

4. I swim at the Aquatic Center. It switches between 25 and 50m, depending on the day (or time of day). All of the YMCAs have outdoor pools. I've been told the Savannah Jewish Federation also has a pool anyone can use, but I've never swam there. There are a couple open water swims around town on Wednesdays as well.

5. Yes. In no particular order and spread all over town...Sol (still kinda downtown), Bella's, Ele, King and I, Tangerine, Toucan Cafe, Sweet Potatoes, Fannie's, Chiriya, Rancho Elegre, Grapevine, Basil's, Pearl's Saltwater Grille, Driftaway Cafe, Troy, some more I can't think of off the top of my head. Most of my favorite places are downtown though.

6. Little Tybee is a cool place to kayak to. There are other places around town...you see people out kayaking pretty much anywhere there is water (other than downtown and the shipping lane!)

Feel free to hit me up for any other questions.

2010-07-13 6:53 PM

User image

Atlanta (BUTThead)
Thanks guys.

I ended up at Quality bikes since it was near my school.  I got the clamping rack but odds are that it'll probably become property of a SCAD student when I take it downtown.  Infact when I was at quality bikes some girl came in looking for a bike because hers was stolen.  I've heard that Savannah is really bad about thefts.

I did eat at Fannies there on Tybee last Friday.  I had to sit at the bar which wasn't so fun but the Shrimp Burger made up for everything.  I obsess with shrimp as long as it isn't fried (though you can fry anything else and I'll like it).  I'd really like to find a good shrimp place with all you can eat or more than you can handle shrimp.  And if I can find a good wing place I'll be in heaven.

the "Super Buffett" I found I can't say was that great.

I also went to the CCAC and it was nice.  But there were really only 2-3 lanes open when I went due to swim teams.  And do women there just walk in the men's locker room when they want???

I did take a bike ride through downtown the other day and as always I still am in awe of the beauty of downtown Savannah.

Again thanks for everything.  I'm loving it down here except for how it rains about the same time I have to ride home from class.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Some OT and T Savannah questions Rss Feed