Musselman Triathlon
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 50m 56s
Overall Rank = 478/738
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 30/37
Pre-race routine:

Got out of bed at 5:02 am and took a quick shower.
Had my usual cup of coffee. I also had a small bowl of Cheerios and milk. I had to kind of force it down as I don't usually eat this early, but I needed something in my stomach for the race later.
Drove the 1.25 hour ride to Geneva to pick up my race packet and then to the race site. It was a beautiful day at Seneca Lake State Park!
Event warmup:

Not much of a warm-up. I walked the transition area and familiarized my self with the swim start and where the swim finished. It was a good walk so I guess I will consider that my warm-up.
Swim
  • 15m 23s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was really nervous about the swim at first. I had, had some problems with my OWS the last two times out where I was having trouble breathing and catching my breath. I thought it may be aleregies or that my wetsuit was too tight... I really focused on my race and not getting caught up into someone else's stroke and pace. I positioned myself in the back of the wave and swam my pace and I actually past some in our wave and passed three or four in the wave before ours.
I felt strong towards the end and was able to speed up some at the end to finish strong for myself.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, other than work on increasing my speed in practice so that it translates into a faster swim on race day.
I was very happy with my swim and I feel it was my strongest leg of the day.
Transition 1
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

The transition went well. Not sure what I could do differently. It was a long way from where my bike was racked to where I could start riding and I think that was at least 45 seconds of the T1 time.

Not really sure what I could do to make that a better transition right now. As I look at my age group one person had a faster T1 than I did.
Bike
  • 56m 47s
  • 16.1 miles
  • 17.01 mile/hr
Comments:

The hills were tough for me. I need to work more of them into my workouts. I figured that I would be in the low 17 mph area for my average speed which I was so I pretty much nailed it there from my personal perspective.

I will add more hills to my training in the future. I think if it were a flatter course I would have done much better on the bike. Adding hills and more distance to my workouts will help me to improve.
Transition 2
  • 02m 57s
Comments:

This was a little slower than my first transition. Getting my shoes on and tied and getting a drink from my water bottle was probably what took longer. Happy with it though.

Maybe get some shoes that I don't hae to tie.
Run
  • 33m 47s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

This was the toughest part of the race for me. It took about 3/4 of a mile for me to find my legs. Not as bad as I thought considering I did not know the course. I pushed it to my ability and was able to keep going.

I am not sure there is anything I could do differently other than train better. I have been working on getting the distance down and being very patient so as not to become injured. I will continue to increase my weekly mileage and maybe add some speed work to get used to pushing my pace a little more.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking and catching my breath. A little stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My level of my training. This is my first year back after 20 years away from the sport. I have been working out since January. I am sure that as I continue in Triathlon I will improve so I really consider my lack of "experience" as my greatest limiter.

Event comments:

What a great event! It is well run for both the athletes and the spectators. I took care of all my gear walked out and back to my car to rack my bike and stow my bag, and then went to eat and there was plenty of food in my opinion. I thought that I was pretty late at that point as they were calling out the awards.
The Park is beautiful and the race is run very very well!

Last updated: 2010-07-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:23 | 820 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 21/37
Overall: 336/738
Performance: Good
Suit: Promotion sleeveless
Course: The course started in the opening of the canal and proceeded into the canal and then left at the bouy just short of the halfway point and then down to the boat launch where the exit was. Water was very murky and visability was very low.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:02
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:56:47 | 16.1 miles | 17.01 mile/hr
Age Group: 28/37
Overall: 427/738
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: "When I was younger I had to walk to school up hill both ways!" That is what this course reminded me of... It was way more hilly than I am used to. I loved all of the spectators on the route and their encouragement was tremendous! It was a beautiful course in a beautiful area.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 82
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:57
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:33:47 | 03.1 miles | 10m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 30/37
Overall: 572/738
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back course. I did not know the course so this was one of those I wonder how much further I have to go situations. A slight elevation (Hill) at the turn around but other than that it was pretty much a flat course through the park.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %2
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes