General Discussion Triathlon Talk » foggy goggles!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-12 8:50 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church, VA
Subject: foggy goggles!!
So in preparation for my race yesterday, I made sure to buy some anti-fog and cleaned my goggles with it about an hour before the race.  Fast forward to after the pre-race meeting and time to get in the water and get a warm-up; put on goggles, get wet and put cap on top of goggle straps.  At the end of the warm up my goggles were a bit fogged up, so I wet them with a bit of spit and that seemed to get rid of the fog (at the moment). 

So the race starts and probably about 100 yards in my visibility starts to shrink as the goggles begin to fog up again, luckily I could mostly just sight by the pack, but I still don't have the confidence to just trust the people in front of me for navigation and seeing the actual turn buoys was difficult.  In between laps, I adjusted my goggles and wiped the insides down (this time I have residual lake water to use) and went on for the second lap.  I didn't have any fogging issues this lap (although i did get a leaky goggle).

Should I just be getting the goggles completely wet in the lake/river/ocean water and trust that the anti-fog will do the trick?  I guess I could try it at the pool, but I'd prefer to keep these goggles out of the ridiculously high chlorine levels at my pool.

2010-07-12 8:55 AM
in reply to: #2974655

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: foggy goggles!!
I always have better luck when I can wet them with the same water I'll be swimming in.

I wasn't able to do that in my race yesterday, and they fogged up.  Then I got kicked in the face, which let a little water in, and all was well.  So you could try getting kicked in the face and see how that works out.  Wink
2010-07-12 9:44 AM
in reply to: #2974655

User image

Subject: RE: foggy goggles!!
I had this exact same scenario happen a while back in a race. 

Here is the misssing link and you'll be shocked on how well this works....crystal clear!

1st - clean your goggles with toothpaste(not fancy colored, crystal type but just the plain ole cheap white stuff.)  We the goggles, rub the entire surface with toothpaste and rinse.  Toothpaste is a gentle but thourough cleanser.

2nd- Buy anit-fog for dive masks.  The "good stuff" is more like a gel than a liquid.  Just rub onto goggles and rinse.  The brand I use is http://www.amazon.com/Cleaner-Anti-Fog-Seagold-Snorkel-Snorkeling/dp/B0027OB31W

Works like a charm but you can not skip either step.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » foggy goggles!! Rss Feed