General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A step back. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-09-15 1:58 AM

Dublin, Ireland
Subject: A step back.
It seems I was getting carried away trying to do too much in a day. I split up my programs up last week and also started to monitor my heart rate when training and I am already feeling the energy benefits from doing this.

Could somebody explain something for me? When I am in the anaerobic zone (When I am doing spinning classes etc. and my heat rate is 80 to 90% of my max heart rate) am I still burning fat or muscle or both. Is it burning fat at a slower rate then staying in the fat burning zone. Weight loss is my priority at the moment.

I lost another 3lb pounds last week.

2 weeks training and I am 9lb down with 33lb to go.

Week 1 = 6lb
Week 2 = 3lb

2003-09-16 4:44 PM
in reply to: #803

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: truthfully

i have never hr trained yet.  although i want to soon as i get my running back into gear.  i'll research this at lunch tomorrow, see if i can lead u to some good links.

anybody else train with hr monitors???  take a stab!

2003-09-16 7:55 PM

East TN
Subject: RE: A step back.
Try this link http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/siteindx.htmit should help. I'm currently researching hr training as well, as you find info, please post.

Mike
2003-09-16 10:53 PM

Boulder, CO
Hello Irish_Fat_Figher,

Great question ! Lots of confusing and (often) conflicting information out there regarding the "fat burning" principal.

In a nutshell : When doing your spin workout and going "anaerobic", you are STILL burning fat at the maximal rate. You are also burning stored sugar (glycogen) at a high rate, which limits the amount of this type of training you can do before fatigue.

Another downside of doing lots of anaerobic training is the cumulative, negative effect it has on your system. These "negatives" rise due to the acidity of your blood rising, which damages muscle tissue. Do hard work day after day and you are on your way to deep muscular fatigue and potential burnout.

RECOMMENDATIONS
1) limit your anaerobic efforts to twice a week at most. When you feel like going REALLY hard in the spin workout, back off the intensity in lieu of doing additional workouts the following days.

2) Your weight loss is quite dramatic...better to take a 6 to 12month approach and picture yourself doing EASY to MODERATE training efforts of 30-60+minutes 5-6 days per week. It may seem boring and like nothing is happening BUT wait a few weeks and the results (and FATIGUE) will surprise you. You can quote me on this.

3) great quote (not sure of source) : "most people overestimate what they can accomplish in 12 weeks....and underestimate what they can accomplish in 12 months"

Best of luck and keep us posted.
Coach Jay
2003-09-17 4:17 AM

User image

Central Louisiana
Great Response! I also like the quote at the end and that will end up on my website.

Still Tri'n
Michael
2003-09-18 1:14 AM

Dublin, Ireland
Thanks for the advice. It makes sense. I am going to try to build a strong fitness base over the next 3 months and then review things from there.

This info might be usefull for others:

Low intensity sessions to burn off fat
There are two key variables that we need to know:

Fatmax - the exercise intensity at which the highest rate of fat oxidation occurs
Fatmax zone - the range of exercise intensities in which the fat oxidation rates remain within 10% of Fatmax
Researchers from Birmingham University's Human Performance Laboratory attempted to pinpoint the exercise intensities at which fat metabolism is maximised in a study of 18 male endurance cyclists with a training background of at least three years. Their work found that :

The average value for Fatmax is 74% of max heart rate (MHR)
The Fatmax Zone is between 55 and 72% VO2max (68 and 79% MHR)
Fat oxidation drops to zero above 71% VO2max (84% MHR)
Alternative research has suggested that when you cycle, swim, row or run at a modest intensity of only 50% VO2max (about 65% MHR), fat provides about 50% of the calories you need to keep going for the first hour or so. If you keep going after that, fat becomes even more generous, providing around 70% of the total energy after two hours and 80% or more if your work duration exceeds three hours. If you increase the intensity then the Fat contribution decreases - at 75% VO2max fat provides 33% of the energy.

High Intensity sessions - just as good!
The implication from all this research is that if you wish to burn maximum amounts of fat then you should train in the 68 to 79% MHR window. The reality is that if you train at higher intensities you can burn just as much fat - you cannot be serious - read on

If you cycled along at 50% VO2max, fat would provide about 50%, on average, of the energy you needed to keep going. If you cycle along at 75% VO2max, fat would provide 33% of the required calories. Thus, the slower workout sounds better from the fat breakdown perspective - or does it?

A moderately fit athlete exercising at 50% VO2max generally consumes about 220 calories during a 30 minute workout. If the same athlete works out at 75% VO2max, 330 calories are burned during the same period. Of course, 50% of 220 calories and 33% of 330 calories yield an identical number of calories coming from fat - 110.

Edited by Irish_Fat_Fighter 2003-09-18 6:09 AM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A step back. Rss Feed