Other Resources My Cup of Joe » I learned the meaning of trust yesterday! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-15 10:50 AM

Veteran
Currently: San Diego CA
Subject: I learned the meaning of trust yesterday!
After a 7 hour mission we were on our way down to land. The landing gear was lowered, but one of the gear's indicators didn't show a safe down and lock. We checked out the window and saw that it was down, but no way to make sure it was locked. We flew past the tower so they could visually look at the gear. It looked down to them. So we went around and the pilots decided to cycle the gear. If it didn't work, then the gear might have been stuck up and we would have been SOL.

The part I found interesting in all of this was that I never felt overly worried. I was more concerned that my in-line crew (The sailors under my charge) were fully aware of what was going on, (they couldn't hear the coversation that I could hear) and that we reviewed exactly what we were going to do in the event that we had to make a belly up ditch.

I think I felt that way because I trusted the pilots at the controls. I knew them and had flown with them for several months. They had my confidence. I didn't realize how much of it they had until I was put in that situation, and I remained as calm as I did.

btw, after they cycled the gear we got a down and safe indication from all 3. The landing went fine.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit methamphetamines

2004-04-15 3:15 PM
in reply to: #18573

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
Subject: RE: I learned the meaning of trust yesterday!
thanks for reminding me of just one of the reasons I never re-enlisted.  Glad to hear everything was fine.
2004-04-15 3:45 PM
in reply to: #18655

Veteran
Currently: San Diego CA
You didn't re-enlist because I trust my pilots? Shocking! lol
2004-04-15 4:01 PM
in reply to: #18573

User image

New Hampshire
I always work on the theory that the pilot wants to live as much if not more than me. Plus they are pretty good are landing planes without wheels.

They know what they are doing in the shaerp end of the plane. And if they don’t then they get to die first :-)
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » I learned the meaning of trust yesterday! Rss Feed