General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Considering new bike but... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-05 9:19 AM

User image

Sherwood Park, Ab
Subject: Considering new bike but...
Hello everyone,

I'm considering getting a new bike.

I currently ride a Kona road-type of bike but I find it flimsy, unstable, problematic and "cheap" for lack of a better word. Everytime I ride it I think about getting a newer better tri-specific or at least a real road bike. I seem to always find something wrong with it even though I take it to the bikeshop every year (pay $80 too) to get it serviced. I've already decided that I'm going to start doing that maintenance on my own. The problems I've had include: several popped front tires, broken chain, gear slippage, squeaking, etc

Anyways.. my concerns with getting a new bike are:
- Cost
- If it's lighter/faster wouldn't that make it more flimsy?
- B/C it costs more I think I'd be scared to take it on some road surfaces which I ride on
- Could I build it myself? I find when I build something I get a fully appreciation on how things work and why, etc.
- Cost
- Gear envy
- My size... I'm 6'1 and 205lbs (still slimming down: Goal is under 190). So I'm a big guy... will these fancy, light tri-bike/road-bikes be able to handle the weight and "power" I push on the gears/chain/brakes?

Any advice/help would be appreciated.

PS - I ride for training/health and eventually commuting (although I haven't quite figured out the best route to work yet).

2010-08-05 9:46 AM
in reply to: #3024861

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tennessee
Subject: RE: Considering new bike but...
Cost-they aren't cheap, but you are getting alot of performance for your buck.
Flimsy-No.
Build-If you have the mechanical skills that is certainly a good way to go.
Roads-If you ride paved or concrete roads you will be fine.
Size-Your size will not be a negative on a quality manufactured bike.
2010-08-05 4:03 PM

User image

New user
i always  encourage everyone to be able to do their own maintenance at some level, nothing worse that being stranded and you can save good money

200lbs is not heavy, most bikes should be designed to handle that a significantly more

if cost is a factor try a used bike, they work fine and have already been road tested
you'll be surprised with what you can find for $500 and less

avoid building your own bike, as you're already an novice with maintenance (building a bike from scratch requires more tools to buy), also buying a complete bike will also save you money and time

if you have questions on maintenance, many here are real experienced, I've picked up lots of tips here, for you reading pleasure, try the guru of bike maintenance sheldonbrown.com

>jersey walt
2010-08-05 5:03 PM

User image

New user
NYC
Cost - If you care about cost just decided how much you want to pay, and then find a bike for that price.  Don't fall in love with an expensive bike, and then struggle to find the funds for it.

Ride quality - The unstable / flimsy ride you are talking about could be an improperly sized bike.  When you are getting a new one factor in a few hundred dollar for a bike fit.

Roads - Unless there is a ton of garage or pot holes on the road you will be fine riding it wherever you currently ride you bike.  Just make sure you have a kit with a spare tube, co2, etc with you.

Building it yourself - If you aren't doing you maintenance now, don't build you own bike at this point.

Gear Envy - Everyone wants a $10,000 bike, just get over it.

Size - Refer to above, get fitted to the bike.  Your size is not above the capacity of any of the major bikes out there.  If you are scared you can always get some heavy duty wheels, those will really be the only thing that is effected by your weight.

In the end I would say find a good used bike.   Search your local craigslist or ebay.  If you go used I would get fitted first to know what size bikes is going to work for you.  Also be aware a tri bike is normally not the most appropriate for commuting.  You could always compromise and get a decent road bike and put some aero extensions on it.   It would be better as an all around bike.  You keep your current Kona for commuting and recreational, and use the new tri bike just for tris.
2010-08-06 8:29 AM

User image

Sherwood Park, Ab
Thanks for the reply.

Yes.. I realize fit is important. I went to United Cycle (well known local bike shop) and talked to a tech. He feels I should be in at least a 60 due to my long upper body (I wear a 44 T suit jacket?). I currently ride a 60. My inseam is only 31" - 31.5"? I wonder if I could do a 58?

I've searched eBay, Kijiji and other used bike forums. Wow there are a lot of good deals out there and I'm thinking buying a used bike is the way to go. Especially because it's "road tested" and likely for the price I'll get better components on it then buying a brand new package. And if I don't one or two of the components currently on the bike I can just replaced them at a reasonable cost.

I'm looking to spend $1500 max.

And I don't care what Lance says "It's all about the bike!"

2010-08-06 12:37 PM
in reply to: #3027039

User image

New user
and sadly to say it may also be the drugs for Lance....

but back to your bike, $1500 will buy a really nice tri-spec or road bike.  Even 3-4 year old full carbon bikes with Dura-Ace level parts.  I won't lie to you, carbon is more fragile, so you should probably keep your old Kona for commuting and pleasure rides and switch to the machine for training and events.

Let us know what you landed with, good luck
>jersey walt

2010-08-07 10:48 AM

User image

Sherwood Park, Ab
Actually now that I look at it.. people expect a lot of dough for a "good" used bike. I was expecting to get a big discount on a "good" bike but now I've seen some of these ads and people want big money.

Basically I see I can get a brand new bike spec'd with Shimano 105s
or a used likely with Ultegra/Dura-Act components...

frames last forever don't they?

2010-08-07 1:17 PM

User image

Pro
agreed.  A lot of people think that they're used road bikes are still worth something.  If sold brand new, from a shop- they take 20% off if it's last years' model (new), and another 20% off if it's last year's model and slightly used.  So- a nearly new 1-2 year old road bike from a shop, is 40% off retail.  I've seen a few bikes originally worth $5K, and are 1-2 year old demo models going for $3K- as an example.  If you're looking at something with 5-10k miles on it that's 2-4 years old, I'd be offering 60-75% off retail new value from a private party.

Also consider that this year's Ultegra is pretty much as good and nearly as light as last year's DuraAce.  

2010-08-07 4:23 PM

New user
Bay Area
I am the same size as you (6'1" and 205) and, like you, am all upper body. I ride a 56 in Cervelo, a M in trek, and a 58 in a couple of other brands.my current bike is a 57 ...my point being that each brands "size" is different. One thing I do know however is that a 60 would be way to big for me.

I would make a short list of bikes you like. Go to a couple of LBS and find your size for each of your "short listed" brands. Then start looking for the right "deal" for you. I would recommend getting a 105 or better groupo on anything you buy and if you are having issues with flats I would recommend going with a  25 tire (at least for training)

Good luck.

Edited by tii 2010-08-07 4:26 PM
2010-08-07 7:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Lake Spivey, GA
What about talking to the folks in any local riding groups.  One of them might be your size, interested in upgrading, and you'd probably get a pretty good deal.  Put the word out that your interested in a new/used bike.  They'd probably even let you ride it on a group ride to make sure it fits.
2010-08-14 10:59 PM

User image

Sherwood Park, Ab
Okay,

After doing some online searching and looking in the local shops. I'm back with more questions.

I strongly feel that I'd like to put out some money and buy a good frame with decent components (105s?) with the ability to upgrade the components over time as I see fit. But I'm not so sure that is an option... Is it possible to upgrade ANY frame over time? Like even a Trek 1.1? Or is it best to go with the best frame a person can afford and upgrade the components over time?

Also I'm considering getting a FIST measurement done so I have a better idea of my dimensions? Is this worth doing for a road bike that is going to be under $1500?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Considering new bike but... Rss Feed