ChangeofPace
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m 6s
Overall Rank = 318/354
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 23/26
Pre-race routine:

breakfast of branflakes, milk, toast and a banana, lots of cytomax. met the girls at the lake, got transition area set up.
Event warmup:

10 min run, some stretching.
Swim
  • 11m 8s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

went out to the right and towards the back since i'm a newbie, but everyone else was there too, so there was a cluster of people there. got hit, scratched, but women are so nice! I heard alot of " I'm sorry!, excuse me!" swam like crazy to the first bouy, then lost my breath as my pace kept getting disrupted from all the bumping into. i can't believe i did it as fast as i did.
What would you do differently?:

in a short swim such as this, i'll start either in the middle or on the inside, closer to the front. Next time I am going to make it a point to swim a bit prior to the race. I was anxious and full of adrenaline, which initially helped, but I quickly burned out when I ran out of air. Need to start slowly.
Transition 1
  • 04m 6s
Comments:

had to run a short distance into transition to the bike, mine was at the end of the transition site, tried to stand up and put my bike shoes on, got dizzy, sat down and felt better. wet suit came off pretty quickly. overall pretty happy with this first T1

sit down immediately and put my shoes on.
Bike
  • 38m 31s
  • 6 miles
  • 9.35 mile/hr
Comments:

Started climbing fairly quickly, 3 miles up, total of 1200 feet elevation gain. This is my favorite hill ride so I was in my groove :) Did it 10 min faster than I normally do. Past a 54 yr old women riding her mtn bike, she was impressive!

Not a thing
Transition 2
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

Drank cytomax, ate 1/2 gel. Moved quickly in this transition, I was happy with this time. All the bricks and practice tris/transitions really paid off

Nothing
Run
  • 23m 58s
  • 2 miles
  • 11m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt great on the run, I always do better after warming up and definitely was warmed up after the bike and swim. I ran into the 54 yr old woman grinding up the hill on her mountain bike, she left me in the dust on the run! I was happy with my pace.

Just work on going alittle faster
Post race
Warm down:

cheered my buddies in, stretched, took a bunch of pics, ate, just enjoyed the day

What limited your ability to perform faster:

anxiety at the start of the swim.

Event comments:

I will be making this an annual thing :) I loved this race!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-05-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:08 | 400 yards | 02m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/26
Overall: 0/354
Performance: Below average
Suit: sleeveless ironman
Course: rectangle course around the bouys going counterclockwise.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:06
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:38:31 | 06 miles | 9.35 mile/hr
Overall: 297/354
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: paved road winding up the mountain, awesome views of the Sierras and Donner Lake.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:27
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:58 | 02 miles | 11m 59s  min/mile
Overall: 336/354
Performance: Good
Course: out and back on a few small rolling hills, dry road and some areas where you could run on packed dirt.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-07-17 10:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Roseville, California
Subject: Donner Lake Sprin Triathlon

2005-07-18 11:10 PM
in reply to: #200611

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: Donner Lake Sprin Triathlon
You had a much better event than I did! Congrats! I was in the silver cap group and have no pictures of my swim because my BF was helping out with the guy thta almost died when we were out there. I have some photos from the cycle and swim, tho. I just have to optimize them before I post them (they are too big and need to be cropped). Anyway, you kick ass!!!
2005-07-19 8:01 PM

New user

Northern California
Congrats! Nice race report, great pictures too. I was in the silver cap group, our times were really close, I came in at 1:13. It sure feels great to get that first one done and over with! What other races did you have planned this year? Where you thinking about the LUNA womens one in October?
2005-07-19 8:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
I am going to do the Mermaid in Santa Cruz in September. I am considering the Pleasanton Tri for fun in August, but I think I'd rather focus on doing better in September than just finishing in Pleasanton (like I did in Donner). Ms Pamela?
2005-07-20 12:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Roseville, California

Hey Leslie and Christa,

You both kicked ass too! But hey, you're younger so that's expected!! I can't believe I didn't die on the swim. I was just trying to get the hell out of the way from the clawing and kicking. I definitely started in the WRONG spot  I'm surprised that there wasn't a serious crash coming down that monster hill. Leslie, hope the guy your BF helped was okay. My friend, who was also in the silver head group panicked in the swim and tried to quit but our other friend wouldn't let her. she basically started to drag her in the water and then got her swimming again. and she's a great swimmer! OWS can really play mind games on you. Yes, I have decided to do the Mermaid   Our tri group had a meeting tonight and my friend Jill is doing it, so I am going to do it too. So, it's Tri for Fun here in Sac august 6, Cliff Bar Relay Tri sometime the middle of august (I'll probably bike), Mermaid in sept and Luna in Oct. I must be nuts, this may all change if I can't swim the 1000 yards at the Tri for fun in August. I guess I'm becoming one of those obsessed triathlete people

Pam

2005-07-20 12:29 AM

New user

Northern California
Yeah, I know what you mean about becoming one of those obsessed tri persons! I'm planning on doing the local Tri here in Ukiah in September and then either the Luna or Lake Berryessa in October.

I had a really hard time on the swim myself. I couldn't get it together and feel even a little bit comfortable until the end. For me it seemed like a combo of everything from the cold, altitude, adrenalin, inexperience at OW swim, other swimmers and just plan nerves. It felt great just to get out of the water!

Good luck on future races ladies, can't wait to here how it's going for you.

2005-07-20 10:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
I freaked out enough in the Donner swim to hang on to a kayak for a minute or two. But the kayak guy was really encouraging. Mentally, I was begging for him to invite me up, but I knew if I quit 200 yards into the swim on my first tri, I'd never forgive myself. I am looking at the Treasure Island tri in SF in the beginning of November, but I have work travel in October so I don't think I'll be planning on anything there. I don't have any local friends here to groove with so I'm glad to see we are all in NorCal and newbies! Good luck to us all!

--leslie
2005-07-20 1:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Roseville, California

Sounds like the water was trouble for all of us. I thought about grabbing the kayak, but my body just kept moving, I knew if I stopped, I'd never start again. I ran into a guy on the run doing it his first tri, he was walking because the altitude was killing him. He started running with me and it was nice to be an encouragement to someone else. Keep up the training, girls. Maybe we should all meet at Mermaid??

pam

2005-07-20 1:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Roseville, California
or luna?
2005-07-20 1:32 PM
in reply to: #203192

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
I will for sure be at Mermaid. I'll be the one in the wetsuit and swim cap. Oh, wait....

I've looked into Luna, but I think I have a work travel conflict. It looks like a good race, tho. Long swim, but there is plenty of time to train!
2005-07-21 11:59 PM
in reply to: #203211

User image

Veteran
Roseville, California

Ok so Mermaid looks like a go My group is probably going to head out there in the next month or so to do some practices. So you guys should try to join us when we go, I'll give you details when I get them. Pam

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Donner Lake Sprin Triathlon Rss Feed