General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Triathlon -- Eagle Creek on August 21 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-11 7:06 PM

User image

Subject: First Triathlon -- Eagle Creek on August 21
I'll be doing my first triathlon will be at Eagle Creek on August 21.  My goal is to 1) survive, and 2) don't injure myself.  My swim is slow (as in glacier slow), I'll rank my bike as moderate, and my run is below average.  I'm kicking myself for the times when I hit the snooze one too many times and missed a workout, and for the extra desert that I ate last night.  I don't even know how to change a tire (yet, working on that this weekend).  But there is some good news.

I will finish the race.  If it takes me 2.5 hours or even longer, I'll finish the race.  I'm racing in memory of my ten month old son who passed away last September.  After he died, I needed an outlet for my energy, and so I started working out.  I thought that doing a triathlon would be a great goal for me.  My son changed my life in so many ways, and the "old" me would never have thought of doing a triathlon.

I'm having a custom triathlon shirt made for the race.  Hopefully it will get here in time.  I'll post a picture of it when I get it.  If you see someone wandering around before the race looking lost and wearing a shirt that says "For Alex" on the back, do me a favor and say hi.

2010-08-11 9:18 PM
in reply to: #3038321

User image

Regular
indy
Subject: RE: First Triathlon -- Eagle Creek on August 21
well tri's are a hood outlet for energy thats for sure. sorry to hear about your son, that would be pretty hard i think......

ill be there on aug 21st and if i see ya ill say hi. what kind of bike are you riding? the bike course isnt so bad. a little hilly but not bad. atleast the roads are nice. the swim is fun and the run is goo except for the hill you have to run up first. uggg! i hope its not too hot!

2010-08-12 5:21 PM
in reply to: #3038566

User image

well tri's are a hood outlet for energy thats for sure. sorry to hear about your son, that would be pretty hard i think......

It was hard, and still is, but we're getting through with each other and with God's help.  This is the type of thing that can break a marriage, but our faith has kept us together.

ill be there on aug 21st and if i see ya ill say hi. what kind of bike are you riding? the bike course isnt so bad. a little hilly but not bad. atleast the roads are nice. the swim is fun and the run is goo except for the hill you have to run up first. uggg! i hope its not too hot!

I'm riding a Trek 1000 that I borrowed off of my family pastor at my church.  He wouldn't loan me his Specialized triathlon bike.    He must of outfit this bike for his girls because it has a purplish/black grip on it.  Oh well, hopefully everyone will be saying "Look at that guy on the bike with purple grips" instead of "Look at the overweight, slow guy at the back of the race."

Currently the forecast for the 21st has a high of 87 and a low of 69.  Of course, being that far out it could change, but hopefully it won't be in the 90s.
2010-08-13 4:00 PM

Good luck on the race, ill be there as well. Im hopefully going to get a sub 1:15. My last triathlon was an hour and a half. Ive got a few triathlons under my belt, so if you have any questions let me know and ill help you out the best i can
2010-08-13 7:30 PM
in reply to: #3042915

User image

d3hampto - 2010-08-13 5:00 PM Good luck on the race, ill be there as well. Im hopefully going to get a sub 1:15. My last triathlon was an hour and a half. Ive got a few triathlons under my belt, so if you have any questions let me know and ill help you out the best i can

I'm hoping to 1) not drown, 2) finish, and 3) if possible, finish under 2:00.  I'm really hoping for 1:45.

Good luck to you.
2010-08-13 8:21 PM

User image

NE Indiana
I'll be there too - just signed up yesterday. I did this race two years ago. It's really well organized - a good choice for your first tri. Hopefully, we won't have any blue-green algae issues this year.

2010-08-15 9:48 AM

Just signed up! I did the July Sprint and it is really nice.  Hope to improve on some of my stats now that I've done the course once and have had a few races inbetween.
2010-08-15 2:45 PM

New user

Good Luck and God Bless! 
2010-08-16 12:53 PM

i just checked tuxbro.com......There is blue green algea this year again...Great
2010-08-16 4:30 PM
in reply to: #3046250

User image

NE Indiana
d3hampto - 2010-08-16 1:53 PM i just checked tuxbro.com......There is blue green algea this year again...Great

Well at least they haven't threatened to cancel the swim so far.  No matter how high the blue-green algae counts are, I'll be happy as long as we get to swim. 

2010-08-18 9:01 PM

User image

I just received my custom triathlon jersey from Aevero today in the mail.  If you see someone walking about with a blue and black jersey with "For Alex" and "Luke 18:15-17" on the back, say hi because that will be me.  I'd post a picture of it, but my camera is broken.

2010-08-19 1:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Avon, Indiana
Good luck and God speed.....It's good that you set your goals the way you did.  I wish you all the best.....and let us know how you did!
2010-08-22 10:12 AM

User image

Fort Wayne, IN
In addition to wondering how Bruenor did, does anyone know the status of the guy who crashed at the turn 1.5 out?  I came across him on the way back in, they had him immobilized and were getting ready to load him into the ambulance.

Also someone crash in the same spot on the way out...flourescent shirt...didn't look nearly as bad, but concerning nonetheless.

Tux Bro just has to cringe in the morning when they look out the window and see the roads wet and slick, with that bike course, you know someone is going down no matter how many signs you have up.
2010-08-22 2:50 PM

User image

I wanted to check in and let everyone know how I did.  I posted in the general forum area, but thought I'd post here as well.  I finished (1st goal) and wasn't seriously hurt (2nd goal).  The swim was horrible, and I've decided to start looking for a swim coach starting Monday.  I was second to last out of the water on the swim.  I got panicked and couldn't catch my breath, but I finished by resorting to laying on my back and floating until I could swim again.  I made up some time on the bike and on the run, passing about 15 or so people on the bike and maybe 10 people on the run.  My finishing time was 1:50:12. 

Despite the problems that I had during the day, I was very proud of myself for finishing, and am looking forward to doing more triathlons next year.  For now, I'm going to find a coach, work out with the NASTI swim team in Noblesville, and be sure to practice lots of OWS's before my next triathlon.
2010-08-23 5:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Avon, Indiana
Congrats on finishing -- its not unusual for first time triathletes to have problems in the swim.....OWS's are so much different than lap swimming in the pool.  So don't feel to bad about the swim portion.....it will come in time.  Again.. Congrats and hope to see you out there next year!!!
2010-08-23 11:39 AM

User image

Congrats for finishing, Jason! I agree with Todd as to your swim being pretty normal for a first timer. You worked through it though and finished, so kudos to you! I'm glad your race shirt came in on time, too. I'm sure that gave you extra incentive to finish strong. Thanks for sharing your story. Keep the faith, brother.

2010-08-23 8:52 PM

User image

Thanks everyone for the encouragement.  Even had I come in last on the swim, or last in the triathlon, I still get to call myself a triathlete.

I've been looking on the Internet to see if I can find anything about that crash, but I haven't found anything.  Does anyone have an update on that racer?
2010-08-30 12:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids

Greetings INDY BT'ers from a Michigan BT'er.  I will be in the Indy area (NWest side) for the upcoming holiday week and need to get a ride in to stay on schedule for my final TRI up here.  I will be staying about 10 minutes from Eagle Creek and would like to know if this is a safe and/or good spot to get my ride in?   If so, any particular loop that is better than the other.  I will hoping to get both some speed and hill work in on the legs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated -or suggestions for a better place to ride.

You can PM me or I'll keep checking back on this thread.

Thanks again in advance for any help.

2010-08-30 1:52 PM

User image

Regular
Indianapolis
My favorite ride is a loop that I do around the northern end of Eagle creek, plenty of hills and flats, and even 56th street isn't so busy that I feel unsafe riding on it. So yeah, if you want to ride around Eagle Creek I say go for it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Triathlon -- Eagle Creek on August 21 Rss Feed