General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Video - Feedback Welcome Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-13 11:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Swim Video - Feedback Welcome
Ok, so I know I got a lot going on that is way wrong.  I have been swim training for about 1-2 years with no formal training.  I am consistently 2:00/100 at mile distance and a little faster on shorter distances.  These are above water videos and pretty short in length.  I am waiting to receive the underwater videos today.

First Video:   This one pretty much illustrates how badly I am crossing over in front and it is causing my hips to sway side to side, very badly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8_B6Mvpr28

Second Video:  This one shows how I am kicking out to the side, with foot as an anchor slowing me down. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQKE9kJmhok

I need to try and work out these issues before even trying to focus on the pull.  I know I am also lifting my head a bit to breath.  I cannot for the life of my keep my ear to my shoulder...there is always a big gap when I rotate to breathe.

Head gap when breathing.

Side leg kick.

Any drills or suggestions are welcome - thanks in advance.

Brian

2010-08-13 1:47 PM
in reply to: #3042200

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: RE: Swim Video - Feedback Welcome
I think if you fix the overreaching in your pull, you'll find that the wide anchor kick will disappear. It looks as though the kick is the counter balance for the overreach. Just like throwing a ball, point where you want to go, so in this case point your fingers at the cross on the wall.  Good luck.
2010-08-13 2:19 PM

User image

First item - Swim proud. You need to use core control. Swim as if your body was in a parade rest position. Head on long neck. Stomach in. Slight tension to your body.
When you reach forward to do not exaggerate your reach - some of us just don't hit our shoulder on our chin . Think reach straight out like playing tag. Once your hand enters the water make sure to immediately tip your hand down at the wrist. Do not go for a long glide.
Your legs will come into line if you excericise core control. Forget about kicking hard for propulsion. Kick just hard enough to keep the rear of your body up in the water. RELAX.
Drills - Statue of Liberty (Use fins) Reach out with one arm extended and swim on your side for 6-8 kicks, then pull with the extended arm, rotate onto the other side and repeat. Build 200-300 yards of this into your swims. You can alter the pattern as you learn- try 3 arm strokes and then stay on your side for the kicks. Vary the number of kicks up and down. This will teach you balance on your side while kicking and pulling.
Also try pulling - but I recommend that you try to do it without a buoy. Pulling is just swimming without kicking. It takse good core stabilization and body balance to pull without a buoy.
2010-08-13 8:58 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Stand in front of the mirror with your eyes closed and mimic your stroke, reaching overhead the same way you enter the water and pause at your furthest extension. Ideally when you are swimming, your hand and arm will be in a direct line in front of your shoulder (above your shoulder in this case with you in front of hte mirror). Do it first with your eyes closed the way you always do while swimming and pause. Now open your eyes. Where is your hand? Probably directly above your head or maybe even across midline.

You really need to have good visual or tactile feedback to correct the crossover that you are doing because it probably FEELS like you are reacign straight in front of you when you swim.

So do the mirror thing again, then correct your arm position so that your hand & arm are directly in line with your shoulder. Do this with one shoulder slightly closer to the mirror to minic a slightly rotated position in the water where one shoulder (and one hip) will be rotated slightly towards the bototm of the pool.

Alternate putting your hand/arm it your current position from the video (directly over or slightly crossed over your head/midline), then visually correct it and note what that correction feels like in your shoulder and arm's position sense. Close your eyes and feel the position your arm is in. Do this several times in the mirror so you can see when the position is correct and focus on the feelign you should be having when your arm is aligned properly, not crossed over.

Now take it to the pool and try it...this should result in far less "snaking" back and forth and even out the wide kick. The kick is only in response ot the crossover, so widenign your stroke to shoulder width will automatically narrow the kick.

I'm curious...you said this was a swim lesson...what did the swim instructor suggest?
2010-08-13 9:13 PM

User image

Veteran
I think some of the overreaching would be remedied by having more rotation through your trunk - imagine a spit going through your head and coming out between your feet. Your whole body should rotate around the spit rather than snake across it. Try some kicking with fins on where you keep your arms extended in front of you and kick 1/3 of a lap on "laying: on your right side, 1/3 on your stomach and 1/3 on your left side to help the feel of maintaining a midline kick as you rotate "around the spit".  If you lay on the ground on your back with both knees bent and feet on the floor, can you keep your shoulders flat on the ground while you drop your knees to one side far enough for the bottom thigh/knee to touch the ground? You need a lot of trunk rotation to swim efficiently (and without potential shoulder injury). Keep at it!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Video - Feedback Welcome Rss Feed