General Discussion Triathlon Talk » North Cypress Medical Center Tri (Sprint) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-10-06 8:32 PM
in reply to: #3137040

User image

Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: North Cypress Medical Center Tri (Sprint)

This almost sounds like a joke....starting at 6 am....after-party at 11 am....7 u-turns....manual timing on the swim?  I can't help but laugh a little and be a little worried too.  

Daybreak isn't until 6:45 or so and sunrise isn't until after 7 am. Starting at 6 is plain dangerous.  Surely it’s a typo and maybe it’s transition that opens at 6 am.  Seven u-turns on a 10-mile bike course sounds like a slow and congested course.  I don’t think I’d be waiting around 3 hours to eat chili either.  I’m guessing that’s how long it’ll take to add the manual swim times to the bike-run times to get final times? And is anyone actually wearing their “tennis shoes” for the run?

At the very least, hopefully they will have enough volunteers and police support to make it a safe race.

Edited by spidey 2010-10-06 8:32 PM

2010-10-06 9:17 PM
in reply to: #3137400

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
That sounds like a nightmare.  I might come out and watch the carnage.
2010-10-07 1:23 PM
in reply to: #3134219

Regular
Yeah I hear ya'll. this will be my first tri and a buddy of mine who has done a couple of other ones is also doing it with me. I'm not expecting anything extravagant, just to get some experience. This is their first time putting this on.

I don't know what to expect but I am going to make the best of it and have a great time no matter what.

Oh, and I picked up my packet yesterday and talked to the race director. The transition closes at 6:45am and the race starts at 7:15 with swimmers going in every 10 seconds.

I'm a little bummed about the bike course having so many turns and U-turns. I just dont' think anyone can expect to put up a good time with that many stops and starts.

She did say that they had 30 police officers out on the bike course for traffic.
2010-10-07 1:37 PM
in reply to: #3137459

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
GMAN 19030 - 2010-10-06 9:17 PM

That sounds like a nightmare.  I might come out and watch the carnage.

If you can stop laughing long enough, come say hi. I'm the short redhead who when not on the bike will be wearing a boot.
2010-10-07 8:33 PM
in reply to: #3050698

User image

Regular
Cypress, TX

I agree, I just looked at the bike coarse map and it looks terrible.  I signed up a while back, but have not recieved a single e-mail.  I got my info from posts here on this site.

Manual swim timeing?  What's up with that, lots of room for error there.

I am thinking about using my road bike for this one vs my tri bike.  No PR's on this bike coarse.  I will be riding on the hoods the majority of the time I am sure.  Due to all the turns and bike traffic.  Oh well, at least I know now; not that there will be a next time for me on this tri.

Hope it turns out better than expected for many. 

2010-10-08 5:51 PM

New user
Spring, Texas
I signed up to volunteer for body marking a few days ago. Sounds like it could be a clusterfark. I hope not, as it seems that this may be the first event for many and a poor experience coud sour them on doing any future tris. This could make me appreciate the folks at Un ur Mark even more than I already do!

Any of you doing an event for the first time, please feel free to ask me any questions the morning of the event. I'll be wearing a red cap with a green Texas silhouetted on the front from the Prairieman.

Fo the person asking if there is anything you need besides a bike and a helmet...I highly recommend a race belt to put your number on. It really speeds up transition. You can get one from any running store.

2010-10-11 10:16 AM
in reply to: #3141881

Regular
Well I did it. Completed this race as my first tri. I shared the same concerns as others have posted going in, especially about the bike course and the manual swim timing, but honestly it went pretty smoothly.

The bike course was coned off and there were lots of officers at all intersections which was great. Had they not been stationed , the course would have been a danger zone.

The only real issue was at several intersections you just didn't know which way to go because there were so many turns. Sometimes you would go straight, sometimes a U-turn, sometimes a left or right turn. The cops were mostly helpful with shouting which way to go, but there could have been more signage and direction for the riders. Overall, it wasn't too bad.

We didn't stay afterward for the festival since it wasn't starting till 11:00am. Lots of others were leaving too. I think it would have been better to have the vendors, and activities all set up just past the finish line with the party starting as the finishers came in. it would have invited people to stay around longer.

Also, there was no water at the finish line. That was kind of strange.

The run course was great. Lots of shade and winding around a lake. Beautiful weather and a great experience all around.
2010-10-11 11:17 AM

User image

Regular
Cypress, TX
Well, what can I say that many do not already know.  I am referring to the early coarse riders.   By far hands down the worst coordinated coarse I have ever done; and I use the word "coordinated" loosely.  I was one of the early riders and runners to hit the coarse.  12th out of the water I believe.  Anyways, the bike coarse didn't have any volunteers at all, and the cops, who did a superb job controlling traffic by the way,  didn't really know where to direct the early riders.  Which I believe they shouldnt anyways, they are there for traffic control, which again they did super.  With that being said the first wave of riders, we all were told to go past the pool and keep riding  to the end of the steet, then left down the street, then u-turn, then back down the street, and then right back down the street that lead to the pool.  We all over shoot the bike coarse by about 3 miles, some turn around early and over shot by only 1.7 miles or so.  That sucked, since as I was approaching the pool, I was already out of my shoes with feet on top ready to dismount fairly soon.  They was was told by the cop, who didn't really kno the coarse to keep going, not turn in.  Oh, well.  

So for the run, the same thing.  We were told to run out and then go all the way to the dead end of the street and u-turn there, when we should have u-turn early and the first median break.  Same thing happened further down on the run.  I ended up running about .30 or .40 more on the run as well.

This all got sorted out I was told after the first 25 or so athletes got on coarse.  This sucks though since the first wave of athletes biked 13 miles, and ran 3.4 miles roughly.

Just messes your averages up.  And then to top it off, there was NO WATER AT ALL AT THE FINISH!!  What's up with that.  I know it showed up much, much later.  Not a good experience for me at all.  The coarse and location of the race has potential, but needs more coordination. 

This was the RD's first race so can't be to hard on it.  But she was working super HARD running all over the place.  I think there needed to be more delegation and support.

But, with the longer bike and run, I still placed 1st in my age group.  I placed 4th overall, but I think I could have been 3rd over all without the extra distance.  The difference was about a little less then a minute;  so there goes the extra mileage on the bike and run and then some Smile

I am going to skip this one next year and see how it goes before doing it again.

Edited by bridgeland 2010-10-11 11:23 AM
2010-10-11 11:19 AM
in reply to: #3144965

User image

Regular
Cypress, TX

Edited by bridgeland 2010-10-11 11:19 AM
2010-10-12 1:56 PM

This was my first event, and I had fun. I was a late swim start, and had biked and ran the course beforehand, so I got the correct route. The cops were very helpful in directing traffic, and, at least for me, indicated which way to go on the bike. The run course was really nice, as was the weather. I'm sure, especially for the experienced athletes, that this race left things to be desired. I'd participate again in a heartbeat though, and I think the few big problems will be fixed by next year's event.

Bridgeland, I think we were talking after the race. You were bib #13 right?
2010-10-12 3:32 PM
in reply to: #3147781

User image

Regular
Cypress, TX
Yes, I was #13.  I also agree with the problems being fixed by next year;  there is plenty of feedback for the RD at http://www.active.com/triathlon/cypress-tx/north-cypress-medical-center-triathlon-at-fairfield-2010#Reviews.  The race like I said has great potential.  Also, it is nice to have another triathlon in cypress, and Fairfield is a great venue. 

2010-10-12 4:39 PM
in reply to: #3148042

Regular
Just read through the comments on active.com and I think all the areas for improvement were pretty much covered.

the overarching problem was one person was doing everything. She was working her butt off and was so sweet and nice, but one person cannot pull off an event like that. I'm sure she has a full time job as well.

The area is a great area to have a sprint tri and if they can make the necessary improvements and get more quality people on the Race Director's staff, it can become a really good event for next year. I worry that some of the vendors and sponsors may not choose to participate next year due to everyone leaving after the race.
2010-10-12 9:34 PM

Enjoy your Smashburger?

I thought about commenting and providing feedback, but everything was pretty much covered. Some people were pretty harsh, particularly about things like the beginner medals, which she announced would be handed out and were. She even asked people to bring them to their friends if they had already left. Either way, I hope the problems get fixed. I like having a sprint distance sooo close.
2010-10-13 11:29 AM

User image

Regular
Cypress, TX

Oh yeah, it was good!  It was my first time eating there.  Right down the street from home.  Those garlic fries complimented the burger well.Smile

I had to put in a 50 mile ride on Monday for that.

Good Luck at Andy's Tri this weekend.  I know you placed in this one;  great job for your first tri!

Edited by bridgeland 2010-10-13 11:33 AM
2010-10-13 2:41 PM

Thanks! I was happy with the results, though they were definitely aided by the short run course. I felt a bit guilty about my burger too.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » North Cypress Medical Center Tri (Sprint) Rss Feed  

of 2