General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 13 Week Sprint Training Plan Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2011-07-12 6:17 AM
in reply to: #3586029

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Subject: RE: 13 Week Sprint Training Plan Group

melonade - 2011-07-08 6:35 AM Hi everyone, Melanie here.  I'm doing my first tri in Hopkinton, MA - the Title 9 Women Only Sprint Triathlon.  I'm based in Southeast Asia until mid-August so it's me against the heat here!  I've got a little less than 10 weeks til then so I will be modifying this plan slightly.  

Welcome! When you get back to MA you will probably feel like you are much faster than you were in the heat in Asia. Let me know if you have any questions!

2011-07-12 6:21 AM
in reply to: #3586877

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
pianaruth - 2011-07-08 1:15 PM

Hi Everyone -

great to page through this forum, and see how long it's been going, and that it's still active!

I'm determined to do something epic for my 50th birth-year, which will be 2012. I've tentatively targeted Chelan Man 1/2 Iron man tri... a year away.

Background: last 3 years... done a couple half-marathons, then sat down too much and finished my master's thesis...now out of school, working (partly outdoors YAY)  and playing catchup.(Read: panting up hills after co-workers that can sprint like mountain-goats)

So... I have a bit of running and biking in my background, have done some fitness swimming...but never have put them together.

I'm starting with the sprint tri training plan... seems like a great way to get the "3" into my schedule and part of my life.

Anyone know a good site to find local events I can use to ease myself into the "big one"?

I'd like to find a sprint tri in Washington somewhere 'bout Octoberish.

Good luck all!

Welcome! You can search for races in your area here in BT by clicking on the Races icon at the top of the page. There you can filter races by state, distance, etc.You might also want to spend some time in your state forum (toward the bottom of the Forums page) to see what other BTers are doing and ask them for favorite races.

2011-07-12 6:22 AM
in reply to: #3589089

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
JudiO - 2011-07-10 12:56 PM

Hi All,

I'm starting this program tomorrow, but need to start on week 3.  My first tri is Sept 24 in Newport.  I'm a runner, and have been swimming in the pool for a few weeks (and have already gone from dying at 8 minutes to swimming 20 comfortably!)  and just bought a bike today.

Glad I found this group.  Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Judi

Welcome, Judi. Let us know if you have any questions about the plan as you start using it.

2011-07-12 9:28 AM
in reply to: #3052887

Hi-not sure if I'm in right area replying...starting the 13 (I have 11 wks) training...somewhat athletic...running is def. my weakest.  I live in Atlanta/Buckhead area and am looking how to hook up with others to train.    Also had a question of a plan that involved lifting weights to help tone and lose some lbs. (so I don't have so much to lug around with me...) Thanks!

Eileen

2011-07-14 8:08 AM
in reply to: #3592436

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
eileenrose - 2011-07-12 9:28 AM

Hi-not sure if I'm in right area replying...starting the 13 (I have 11 wks) training...somewhat athletic...running is def. my weakest.  I live in Atlanta/Buckhead area and am looking how to hook up with others to train.    Also had a question of a plan that involved lifting weights to help tone and lose some lbs. (so I don't have so much to lug around with me...) Thanks!

Eileen

Hi Eileen. Thanks for joining us.

The Georgia forum here in BT is one of the most active state forums. You will find lots of great people there that live in and around Atlanta and can hopefully be introduced to tri clubs and other people looking for training partners. You can find the forum HERE.

This plan does not have any strength workouts built into it, but you can find strength training resources for triathletes here on BT to guide you. Go to the top right of the page and click on Search. There you can choose to search either the forums or articles. Choose articles and enter Strength Training into the search field and explore there.

2011-07-18 7:18 AM

signed up for my first sprint in Sept. after a a few beers with my mates(ex) a couple of weeks ago. Funny how these things seem like a good idea at the time. Dont have 13 weeks but have been running and MTB for a while.

Tried cycling then running for the first time combining excercises!! who ever thought of this game?

Need some swimming coaching as seem to sink after 300yrds!

Starting to look forward to it . Will never drink again.

2011-07-18 7:33 AM
in reply to: #3601132

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Glovebox - 2011-07-18 7:18 AM

signed up for my first sprint in Sept. after a a few beers with my mates(ex) a couple of weeks ago. Funny how these things seem like a good idea at the time. Dont have 13 weeks but have been running and MTB for a while.

Tried cycling then running for the first time combining excercises!! who ever thought of this game?

Need some swimming coaching as seem to sink after 300yrds!

Starting to look forward to it . Will never drink again.

Funny! If you don't have 13 weeks, just look at the plan and try to start in the middle so the plan ends on race day. If you can't follow the plan as written, that's ok too. Just follow the schedule to make sure you get a balanced amount of swim/bike/run but cut the time short as needed to suit your ability level. Good luck!!

2011-07-26 1:44 AM

User image

New user

Lake Stevens Wa.

Hello !

My name is Cherie! I use to be a track runner.. 20 or so years ago? A gymnast as well. My body had complete muscle tone everywhere. Now I am 46. My body is nothing like it was before and this is my fault for not maintaining!! I race BMX with my kids.. But this is only twice a week, I saw a nun racing a triathlon at age 90. Somebody twice my weight running a triathlon , my coworker has hired a personal trainer for a triathlon, and now my son's mother has just returned from a ladies triathlon here in Washington. Showed me her nice bike. I AM ALL IN NOW!! I am 188 lbs, and keeping logs now of everything . ( 40 more pounds than in college.. and it surely is not all muscle!!  I ran 2 miles , swam 400m about in  Lake near by and biked 2 miles yesterday, . muscle work outs today. Plan on checking in here every day!! 

2011-07-26 4:19 PM
in reply to: #3614672

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
triathlonmommie - 2011-07-26 1:44 AM

Hello !

My name is Cherie! I use to be a track runner.. 20 or so years ago? A gymnast as well. My body had complete muscle tone everywhere. Now I am 46. My body is nothing like it was before and this is my fault for not maintaining!! I race BMX with my kids.. But this is only twice a week, I saw a nun racing a triathlon at age 90. Somebody twice my weight running a triathlon , my coworker has hired a personal trainer for a triathlon, and now my son's mother has just returned from a ladies triathlon here in Washington. Showed me her nice bike. I AM ALL IN NOW!! I am 188 lbs, and keeping logs now of everything . ( 40 more pounds than in college.. and it surely is not all muscle!!  I ran 2 miles , swam 400m about in  Lake near by and biked 2 miles yesterday, . muscle work outs today. Plan on checking in here every day!! 

Welcome, Cherie. Are you going to follow this 13 Week Sprint Training Plan? I hope so, because it will make sure that you don't do too much, too soon. Lots of beginners start off too hard and then become injured, discouraged, or burned out on the training before they even do their first race. I am excited for you and your new journey!

2011-07-28 9:34 AM

New user

Toronto
Hi everyone, i am pretty new to this and have some basic questions... I am trying to get some open water swimming done and wondering what kind of gear would i need. I live in Toronto, ON. Specifically i am wondering how to people keep their personal belongings safe? I would bike to the beach where the bike can be locked up but things like keys, wallet, etc..?

Thank you.
z
2011-07-28 8:09 PM
in reply to: #3618588

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

zgassanov - 2011-07-28 9:34 AM Hi everyone, i am pretty new to this and have some basic questions... I am trying to get some open water swimming done and wondering what kind of gear would i need. I live in Toronto, ON. Specifically i am wondering how to people keep their personal belongings safe? I would bike to the beach where the bike can be locked up but things like keys, wallet, etc..? Thank you. z

I would always recommend that you swim with another person. It's just not safe to swim alone. If you ride your bike to the beach you shouldn't need your wallet. You can keep your house keys in your saddle bag on your bike. It's not secure but I don't know of any specific product that is designed to keep things secure. Lots of triathletes do stuff like leave their keys under a tire of the car and other things that aren't at all secure but it's hard to know what the heck to do with stuff!

2011-08-07 9:41 PM

Subject: Where to start
Hi there, I am moving to Langley at the end of this month and would like to train for a mini triathlon. I have no idea where to start. I would like to join a group that trains me rather than downloading some plan and doing it on my own. Are there any such groups in the area? Also not sure where to look for a race. I am wanting to do one in March, April. May or June of 2012. Please let me know. Thanks.
2011-08-08 9:13 AM
in reply to: #3633214

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Subject: RE: Where to start

aimerlee - 2011-08-07 9:41 PM Hi there, I am moving to Langley at the end of this month and would like to train for a mini triathlon. I have no idea where to start. I would like to join a group that trains me rather than downloading some plan and doing it on my own. Are there any such groups in the area? Also not sure where to look for a race. I am wanting to do one in March, April. May or June of 2012. Please let me know. Thanks.

Welcome to BT. Glad to have you here! We have state forums here on BT that might help you find resources in your area. Look on the Forums page toward the bottom and find your state. We also have a race directory here on BT where you can read other people's race reports and see who is doing races in your area. You can find the Races resources HERE.

2011-08-11 3:43 AM

Hi,

My name is Jon.  I would like to start this Sprint tri.  I am new to this.  I was always in good shape (I worked my butt off and did sports, but never tri shape!).  
     I am nervous about my left foot, left knee, and right shoulder.   Plantar fasciitis in my left foot that I need to take care of; wondering if right now a tri will help or hurt (it only bothers me, really when I walk to much or stand to long - not run thou).  I had a small class 2 tear on my left knee mcl years back, It bothers me when I ride a bike for to long (but I wonder if the right training can get the endurance on that knee longer).  lol my shoulder will be fine. 

In theory, I would like to do a year of tri's and working my way up. I will start training next week and see if I can get past a week?

I will start for the sprint tri and hopefully work my way up to a 1/2 tri by the spring of 2012.

Respectfully,
      Jon

Edited by notAsoldierNewB 2011-08-11 7:53 PM
2011-08-11 5:54 PM

I would really like to Run a Iron man by next year(end of the 2012 summer).

Does anyone know if that looks likely with the following injuries above?

Edited by notAsoldierNewB 2011-08-11 7:52 PM
2011-08-16 9:33 PM

User image

New Castle
New at this but I want to do a Tri Sprint, Have been run/walking for 2 months now, in week 6 of  9 week couch to 5K plan. Done 4 5K Walks. And having fun and maybe I lose some lbs. Smile

2011-10-06 3:38 PM

New user
Ireland

********** THIS THREAD HAS OBVIOUSLY RUN IT'S COURSE AND SO I WILL POST AGAIN UNDER ANOTHER  BEGINNERS THREAD **********

I watched a colleague complete a Sprint in September and liked the look of it. After a little coaxing from him I said that I would complete at least 1 Sprint in 2012!

So, I have weight to lose, haven't ridden a bike for a couple of years but I am running 20 mins regular and my swimming is relatively strong. I joined the site a couple of days ago and deciced that even though I do not have a race scheduled I would complete the 13 week Sprint Plan. I figured that it will get me into the right shape and I can build on this once completed and continue to develop through next year when I will choose a race to aim for.

I have had to offset plan so week starts Sunday and Monday & Friday are rest days. I am at the end of week 1 and all is great just 45 min bike on Saturday. Enjoying it and looking forward to being lighter and fitter.

Looking forward to views and advice from all on all aspects of Triathlon as this is all new to me (main background is Rugby)

Cheers

David

Edited by meadowsd 2011-10-11 1:24 AM
2012-02-22 3:37 PM

New user

Cypress
I have been running and riding a good deal (more riding than running) the past few months, wanting to sign up for my first Sprint. I am finding it difficult to find a pool to do laps though. Fortunately, swimming is my strong suit although it's been a while since I actually swam any distance.I just printed off the 13 week training program and will attend (as spectator) my first Tri this weekend. More interested in the needed gear, and the transitions.Sure would be great to meet up for an occassional training run or ride and to keep in touch with others in training.
2012-03-23 8:31 AM

User image

New user

Fredericksburg

Hi all,

I am joining the group to try to stay motivated. I did my first tri last year and I had a blast. I am looking to try to do three this year, but the hardest part is getting the workouts in. I have a crazy schedule and find all kinds of reasons not to do the work. I look forward to the accountability.

2012-03-28 1:26 PM

User image

New user

Northampton, MA
Hi all! I've been kicking around this site for a week or so now and decided to put my vision into action. I want to do an ironman in 5 years. I'm 30 years old. I've never done a triathlon. I just figured out how to swim the other day. Well, I guess more like how to breath while swimming. Once I figured that out, I went from only being able to swim two laps on Saturday to 16 laps (1/2 mile) by Monday! I'm going back today attempt 32 Laos (1 mile) today because 16 felt really easy. I ran my first 10k race on St. Patrick's Day in 1hr and 15 minutes. Lots of hill! I road my newly purchased bike once and I did 12 miles in about an hour. This was back in October. Starting this 13 week plan today. However, I'm noticing every time I run, I get it band issues in my knee pretty bad. Any suggestions?
2012-03-28 2:43 PM
in reply to: #3618588

Regular
Toronto, Ontario

zgassanov - 2011-07-28 10:34 AM Hi everyone, i am pretty new to this and have some basic questions... I am trying to get some open water swimming done and wondering what kind of gear would i need. I live in Toronto, ON. Specifically i am wondering how to people keep their personal belongings safe? I would bike to the beach where the bike can be locked up but things like keys, wallet, etc..? Thank you. z

I'm not sure about downtown, however I know a lot of people do openwater swimming at Lake Wilcox. I believe the Toronto Triathlon club practices there occassionally as well. I also can't speak for how you keep your bike/possession safe. My recommendation would be to not bring any valuables with you.

2012-05-28 1:11 PM

Woo, Alrighty then!!
2012-06-01 1:09 PM

Is anyone else starting the 13 week program?  I have my first triathlon in September so it's perfect timing for me
2012-06-02 2:37 PM
in reply to: #4239527

I just joined. doing a mini triathlon in August. starting swimming and have a long way to go.

2012-06-02 8:14 PM

I registered for a  small tri ( 9/22/12).  A 400 yd swim, 19 mile bike, 5k run.  I want to start a basic and simple plan to help me maximize my time for the biking section which I hate biking by the way, and increase my time for the run.

A little bit about me: swam competitively from age 5- college, hate biking, poor runner but getting better since July 2011 ( I completed the Eatonton 10K torture trail in 2012; time was 72 mins). When I was in college I have completed a handful of tris so I'm not completely new to this.   I work at the pool I will be swimming for the tri- lifeguard and swim instructor from 6 am to 11am, then go to work at a gym from 3 pm to 8 pm in the evenings.  I teach Pilates Wednesday mornings so I can get a 60 min run in the am.   Some days I can log an hour or 3200 yds swim b/t jobs, then after 8 pm I may either get on the treadmill, or eliptical from 20 mins to 60 mins and might mix in weight training if I do 20 -30 min cardio. 

I guess what I am asking is: does anyone have a good suggestion for an actual 13 week training plan to help with increasing strength, endurance and time  based on a very confusing schedule, maybe get in shape a little bit better.  Like give me an example of an actual routine x reps to x sets of leg press, weighted leg squats, weighted lunges, leg extensions/ curls, bench press, shoulder press, tricep curls, etc.  Maybe even interval runs, sprint biking, etc. 

I sometimes swim to the high schools drills and interval lessons at the pool just to challenge myself so that I'm not worried about.                 Thanks for any input

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 13 Week Sprint Training Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 11