General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ILRA Lake Temps? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-21 8:04 AM

User image

Farmington Hills, MI
Subject: ILRA Lake Temps?
Anyone know the temps of any of the lakes at ILRA?  I'd like to get a wetsuit swim in tomorrow before Breakwater next weekend, but really don't want to roast doing it... I have a feeling Trout is still way too warm for a wetsuit... is Spring Mill Pond or Kent Lake normally cooler?  Anyone have any other lake suggestions in the area that might be slightly colder?

Thanks!

2010-08-21 1:51 PM
in reply to: #3056286

User image

Master
Ferndale, MI
Subject: RE: ILRA Lake Temps?
KL and I looked for anything wetsuit temp for a looooong time prior to swimming Alcatraz.  Lake Huron was worthy of a wetsuit, I think.  Other than that, you'll roast.  That is my opinion.
2010-08-21 4:32 PM
in reply to: #3056286

User image

Extreme Veteran
Milford, MI
jplotzke - 2010-08-21 9:04 AM Anyone know the temps of any of the lakes at ILRA?  I'd like to get a wetsuit swim in tomorrow before Breakwater next weekend, but really don't want to roast doing it... I have a feeling Trout is still way too warm for a wetsuit... is Spring Mill Pond or Kent Lake normally cooler?  Anyone have any other lake suggestions in the area that might be slightly colder?

Thanks!

Spring Mill Pond is definitely cooler than  Trout.  I was out there this past Wed and wore my sleeveless cuz I  was alone and I didn't overheat at all - it was warm and I wouldn't have really needed it, but it wasn't bad - I'd guess it was about 74.
2010-08-22 4:24 PM
in reply to: #3056648

User image

Farmington Hills, MI
ericcooper - 2010-08-21 5:32 PM
Spring Mill Pond is definitely cooler than  Trout.  I was out there this past Wed and wore my sleeveless cuz I  was alone and I didn't overheat at all - it was warm and I wouldn't have really needed it, but it wasn't bad - I'd guess it was about 74.

Thanks, Coop.  Ended up doing 4 laps of Spring Mill this afternoon in my full wetsuit... I agree it was warm, but it wasn't unbearable by any means. 

It's also funny how many little kids scream "Look!  Scuba divers!" as you go into the water with a wetsuit.  haha...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ILRA Lake Temps? Rss Feed