General Discussion Race Reports! » Long Island Sound to Peconic Bay 10K Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Long Island Sound to Peconic Bay 10K - Run10k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Jamesport, New York
United States
The Jamesport Fire Department
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 54m 48s
Overall Rank = 131/359
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up and looked outside the window and saw that the ground was wet. I guess the weather man was right for once rain was in the forecast. I changed into my running cloths. For breakfast I had a banana and a bowl of cereal then grabbed a bottle of water and hit the road. The only other piece of equipment I had was my race belt. I had 2 energy gels stored in the pouch on my belt. The plan was to use 1 at the start and 1 at the 3 mile mark. I certainly don’t need to use them for such a short race but I find they improve my performance a little and at least mentally I feel a little more energetic.

I must admit that getting ready for a running race was much easier than getting ready for a tri. I won’t be giving up tri’s but it sure was nice just walking out the door and having everything I needed to race.

Event warmup:

I did about 15-20 minutes of stretching. I also did a light jog around the parking lot to get the blood flowing in my legs.
Run
  • 54m 48s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 29s  min/km
Comments:

I stuck to my plan with this race. I was trying to hit under a 9 minute pace and used my energy gels as I had planned.

The rain had stopped for the start of the race but by mile 2 it had started again and around the 3 mile mark it was heavy. I saw many people running with cotton shirts on. Several people were wearing the event shirt which was 100% cotton. My under armour short did pretty well for most of the race. But by the end even the full synthetic shirt was starting to saturate with water.

I choose to “live off the course” for my hydration needs. I still need a little practice drinking from a cup while running I’m getting better at it but it’s still a little tricky.

At about the 5 mile mark I was passed by Mel who I met on the bus ride over to the start. Mel was talking to another gentleman and asked if the other man was in the 70-79 AG the other man responded no I’m still in the 60-69 AG. Well good old Mel finished 21 seconds ahead of me.

No doubt the conditions were awful but everyone was in the same boat.

What would you do differently?:

In hindsight my clothing choice was the only issue I had. My Nike dryfit shorts where excellent. I was happy to have my running visor even though there was no sun but it kept my face from getting pounded with the rain. I body glided up my feet. I wore my thin under armour full synthetic socks. My feet were fine no blisters just a little soggy at the end of the race. This is one of those times I’ve questioned using socks but for the distance I had no issues. My under armour shirt was my only issue. Thankfully I made it through the race with only minimal discomfort. This shirt is a good training shirt but it’s too loose for running and especially for running in the rain. One of the benefits of training is you actually get into shape and your cloths get a little loose. I need some new training cloths.
Post race
Warm down:

After I crossed the finish line I took my time and slowed down gradually and did some fast walking in the parking lot. I wanted to give my legs a little cool down period given the conditions.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My body has been feeling the effects of training this year. I’ve been going since early April and while I have “missed days” here and there I’m starting to wear down a little. My right hamstring has been a little tight and my right hip is a little sore.

Event comments:

Although it mentally pains me to do this I’m going to take this week off from training. I need to see if some time off will help my hip soreness (I think this is most likely hip bursitis) and a little time off may just clear this up. I have the Montauk tri Oct 2nd and I’d like to be feeling “good” for that race.

Last updated: 2010-07-15 12:00 AM
Running
00:54:48 | 10 kms | 05m 29s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 131/359
Performance: Good
Course: Point to point race. We were bused from the finish to the start line. I was talking with someone at the start of the race and he mentioned that just when you think the race is over don’t be fooled because you start the twisting and turning that winds through the neighborhood to make up the last 2 miles of the course. That would become apparent at mile 4.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-08-23 9:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
Subject: Long Island Sound to Peconic Bay 10K
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Long Island Sound to Peconic Bay 10K Rss Feed