General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Work, Family, & ... Triathlons? Musings About the Squeeze of it All. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2010-09-09 1:29 PM
in reply to: #3088919

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Work, Family, & ... Triathlons? Musings About the Squeeze of it All.

DP

Edited by JoseyWales 2010-09-09 1:30 PM

2010-09-09 8:47 PM
in reply to: #3064142

Subject: RE: Work, Family, & ... Triathlons? Musings About the Squeeze of it All.
mademille - 2010-08-25 7:58 PM I'll disagree about it not getting easier as they get older. Its gotten much easier for me. My oldest is old enough to stay home and baby sit my younger one, so I don't have to worry about scheduling or having one person home in order to go for a ride or run. They are also old enough that they do chores...dishes, garbage, vacuuming, laundry, etc. I can give them a list of chores, head out for a run and say, "bye! Get the dishes done and vacuum while I'm gone!" Works out quite nicely to get in a work out and come home to a clean house.  They can also come with me on runs/rides or to swim laps at the gym and do it independently. My son swam about 1500m the other day in the lane next to me at the gym and my daughter runs with me on my short runs all the time. Plus I can just tell them to make themselves their own dinner or lunch too so that I can get other things done. They are self sufficient on homework (other than occasional questions, but I encourage them to google or use other resources on their own before coming to me), they walk home from school, they spent about 50% of their time out of the house playing with friends. So, much, much easier in our house!

This is so reassuring! I have a one year old, and adjusting to the loss of freedom has been rough. I keep reminding myself that it's only temporary, with any luck (and another decade + of parenting) I'll be posting  the same thing.

Not directed at the OP, since it sounds like he's got his situation worked out, but for anyone facing new parenthood: one year makes a HUGE difference. This time last year it was all I could do to keep my newborn fed and clean -- I couldn't even think about a 5k. Now thanks to my husband and daycare, I'm about to do my first sprint tri.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Work, Family, & ... Triathlons? Musings About the Squeeze of it All. Rss Feed  

of 3