General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Yosemite Half Dome Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-09-10 2:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Torrance/Carson
Subject: Yosemite Half Dome
I'm going to Yosemite for the first time this weekend for a friend's birthday because one of the things she's always wanted to do was the Half Dome hike. I'm wondering if anybody's done it here and if there's anything I should expect. Since I'm going to be missing two workout days, I was planning on running at least half the hike (7 miles). Since the hike is on a Saturday, I'm assuming it might be crowded.

2010-09-10 9:35 AM
in reply to: #3090703

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-09-10 9:54 AM

Modesto, California
Subject: RE: Yosemite Half Dome
tophermcdougall - 2010-09-10 12:33 AM I'm going to Yosemite for the first time this weekend for a friend's birthday because one of the things she's always wanted to do was the Half Dome hike. I'm wondering if anybody's done it here and if there's anything I should expect. Since I'm going to be missing two workout days, I was planning on running at least half the hike (7 miles). Since the hike is on a Saturday, I'm assuming it might be crowded.

I would consider bringing your bike too, it tends to get crowded in the park but there Priest grade leading into the park is an awesome workout and one of the most popular rides out this way. There are two priest grades(old and new)the old Priest Grade is where you will see cyclists as the newer road gets used by traffic now. You can park at the school at Chinese Camp.
2010-09-10 9:55 AM

Extreme Veteran
Torrance/Carson
That's a good idea. I was thinking about running the last half (a slow pace) since I didn't want to abandon my friends in the beginning and wait a while for them to catch up. That way I can make it back to camp and wait for them there. 
2010-09-10 12:15 PM

Ventura County, California
I've done it. 
Keep a few things in mind... it's a long day, start as early as you can. This will help you beat the crowds and will put you on top before any afternoon thunderstorms develop. (You do not want to be up there in a thunderstorm!).

There are two trails (atleast for a portion of the way). The Mist Trail and the John Muir Trail...

The Mist Trail is spectacular... it's narrow and very steep with lots and lots of stair steps. Given the steepness and all the other hikers, it will be difficult to run. I would suggest taking it in the morning, if you start early, you'll probably miss the crowds and enjoy the amazing views of the waterfalls.

The John Muir Trail is higher and drier. It isn't easy either, but is a better grade for running. I think it was built for stock (horse/mule) traffic. I would suggest taking this trail on your way down when you would encounter more people on the Mist Trail. 

Once you get above Nevada Falls, the trail is more like what you would expect... running in the mountains. No granite stair steps, better grades, etc. It can get hot up there, but given our weather right now, it should be nice this weekend.

Edited by TaylorB 2010-09-10 12:15 PM
2010-09-10 3:16 PM

Expert
Huntington Beach
If you are going on a weekend, you need a permit and they are all gone for the rest of the season.  However, if you are going on the weekday you will be fine.

2010-09-10 3:34 PM
in reply to: #3092017

Ventura County, California
akrenik - 2010-09-10 1:16 PM If you are going on a weekend, you need a permit and they are all gone for the rest of the season.  However, if you are going on the weekday you will be fine.

Wow! That's really too bad.  The sad part is that the permit system is flawed in it's concept. Permit reservers must reserve FAR in advance and then only pay a minor admin fee. Every reason to grab as many permits as you can and no system/reason to cancel uneeded permits.
I'd guess that there are many slots going unused everyday.

2010-09-10 7:32 PM

Extreme Veteran
Torrance/Carson
Thanks for all the advice guys. I think we should have permits since my friends have planning this trip for awhile. I'll keep in mind the two trails and trying to avoid the crowds. I think I'm going to be tied to the group on the way up, but then I can split off when we head back to camp. 
2010-09-10 8:48 PM

Master
Permit for 1/2 Dome...when did that start?

BTW, take water...I always get a kick out of the tourist in there dress shoes that started on a "short hike" that end up at the falls badly needing water.

The steps can be brutal if you have a large pack on.  Try and go early, and just expect lots of people to be on the cables by the time you get there.
2010-09-11 11:48 PM

Ventura, CA
I LOVE the Half dome hike! Get on the trail by 4:30 - 5:00 and you should stay ahead of most of the crowds... Hey, for SURE bring water/ snacks... and something warm (long sleeve tee/ rain jacket) for if you make it up, it can get windy (check weather for afternoon rain too). I like to bring a flashlight for you-never-know. You can also bring your own gloves if you don't want to use a pair out of the old and used ones at the base of the cables.

If you are looking for a few great trail runs, look at The Valley Loop Trail. It is a great run with NO crowds as soon as you get off the beaten track. It will take you over rolling hills, BEAUTIFUL views... some parts a little rocky, but not too bad.

If you want, you can break it up in parts. Here's the West part for 11 miles: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/44401991
Or to Mirror lake and back by lower Yosemite falls: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/44401995
And if you're in for a more hilly, longer run: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/44401985/> 
The Lodge has lap swimming, but it's not too good since one end of the pool is so shallow you can't turn without hitting the bottom. And they might close the pool post labor day...

Have fun! 

Edited by equilibrium 2010-09-11 11:49 PM
2010-09-13 9:32 AM

Extreme Veteran
Torrance/Carson
Well I'm back. I didn't get to do much running as the hiking and altitude was more than enough workout for me. We ended up taking the Mist trail there and back. Since I was with a big group there were obvious split ups and me and two other guys made it back just before darkness set in. The rest of my group toughed it out some of the way in the dark. A group of 3 girls did Mist trail part of the way in the dark and I give them a lot of props for that. Most of the rest took John Muir on the way back. 

As for the permits, we were able to snag quite a few from the ranger at the base and people that either had extra or decided to chicken out. I was proud of my friend as she's scared of heights and slowly but surely climbed up the cables to the top! 

Mist trail is pretty difficult on the legs on the way down. I'm still pretty sore. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Yosemite Half Dome Rss Feed