Piranha Sports
77F / 25C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 16m 50s
Overall Rank = 91/139
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 16/20
Pre-race routine:

practice getting gear together - - at package pickup - drive the bike route, note where hills and level areas are, select locations for gel paks; observe swim area, walk the transition from swim to bike and bike to run; check where bike will be racked (good location, right next to bike exit and entrance) oatmeal for breakfast, hot tea (little bit of pepsi) 2 aspirin, 2 electrolyte (muscle cramp) pills.
Event warmup:

stretching arms, legs, go to bathroom - -go to bathroom again - - get body marked, get timing chip, set up transition area - - drink a little water (cotton mouth from Claritin-D).
Swim
  • 11m 4s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

floated in water to get adjusted to temperature and to calm my breathing. started way to inside on right (close to buoy) - - lots of swimmers crowding the left side (??? trying to stay away from others??). Great beginning - sighting the buoy, rounding the buoy; next 50yards good -- got off-track - kayak stopped me - -had to head back out - into crowd of swimmers (all doing breast or side stroke) - rounded second buoy - real good!! -- really tired - - short of breath - - could not catch my breathe (need more aerobic training) had to side stroke, back stroke to finish last 100 yards --- strong finish, waded and stroked hands while walking, ran through transition, pulling down wetsuit and taking off cap, goggles and earplugs - winded
What would you do differently?:

besides practing to get better aerobic capacity so I'm not out of breathe???? - all in all - - I was VERY happy with the swim - - -
Transition 1
  • 03m 6s
Comments:

had to dry off and put on shorts, shirt, socks and shoes - - - next time a tri-suit will shave a good minute or two off of my time - - gloves seem to take too long to put on????

tri-suit under wetsuit - - - shoes on bike???
Bike
  • 42m 18s
  • 10 miles
  • 14.18 mile/hr
Comments:

awesome bike ride - -- good exit (uphill); gear changes smooth - - good speed down hill helped with uphill - kept up pace once inside park (others slowed down??? - turns?) excellent dismount - little tricky mount - but solid start and finish. Remembered to drink my water, had my first gel pak as planned, - forgot the second gel pak - - -drank gatorade to prepare for run (none provided by event). good hard bike without completely exhausting myself - nice job!!

need more strength on uphill - - others would pass me on the up hill - - I would fly past them on the down hill and they would catch me on the uphill (ummm).
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

feet out of clips - -did not take feet out of shoes - - -ran with bike, did not think to take off helmet?? quick change though - very fast transition!!! - - did not wear glasses - - no sun - -run was shaded

need to learn to dismount while moving and to get feet out of shoes so I can get into running shoes faster
Run
  • 19m 27s
  • 2 miles
  • 09m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

that first mile is tough!!! had to run/walk - - - better than last run - - felt stronger at the start - run felt good (my calves started to clench up a little at the begining - - took long strides to stretch them out) - once at the one mile mark, breathing is normal and rest of run is good --- not my fastest, but getting better every time!!!

pour it on at the end - - -wasn't sure where the end was - -wanted to finish strong - - ended up jogging in (blahh.....)
Post race
Warm down:

walked a little - -did not take long to get breath back - - got a bagel with cream cheese (ate 1/4 of it) - had fruit chews (great!!) and a diet coke and talked to other women.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

strength in bike and aerobics in both the swim and the run

Event comments:

Really enjoyed this - - great to see what other women wear for each of the events - -swim was comfortable - -lots of women at the back of the pack - need to get in middle of pack away from those that hold me back - I'm getting stronger and better - -really proud of the bike performance - first time on significant hills (after only one ride with BBC on hills) - love going downhill at 28-20 MPH!!

Last updated: 2009-04-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:04 | 437 yards | 02m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/20
Overall: 96/139
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless wetsuit
Course: horse shoe shape
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:06
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:42:18 | 10 miles | 14.18 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/20
Overall: 87/139
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: out of park, one direction 3 miles, u-turn, other direction 5 miles, u-turn, back to park entrance and to transition - - rolling hills
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:19:27 | 02 miles | 09m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/20
Overall: 99/139
Performance: Average
Course: asphalt path in park - - mostly flat - - some inclines - - puddles and muddy in several places - -out and back - shaded
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes