General Discussion Race Reports! » BT Cold Christmas Holiday Mock Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

BT Cold Christmas Holiday Mock Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log
Akron, Ohio
United States
Me
70F / 21C
Total Time = 1h 41m 30s
Overall Rank = 1/1
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I swear i thought i wasn't gonna be able to race...BUMMER! the minute i got in my truck after work thursday my thoat was sore...dryness? typical pre-florida-vacation sickness (last 3 trips!)? Well, after dropping stuff off for my wifes gift, i stoppped off at my uncles bills house to use his cable line to download...he gave me some AWESOME winter rye ale. very hearty...i went to bed way early as was exhausted...8pm!!! Missed the 4:00am alarm to do the mock sprint...damn! How will i get this done?

Felt great at work, got stuff done early and went to the gym - sweet. I had 2 hours to do this as my fam had dinner plans with parents.

Note: I have only been running lately as school kicked my @ss! I got on the scale to see that i have GAINED 5LBS!!! unacceptable. school, beer (yummy), horrible nutrition, stress and a pathetic workout schedule will do that i guess. I was pissed.
Event warmup:

Went right to the pool and did many arm circles so my deltoids would remain cooperative throughout my swim...just me in the pool...like glass...could even see the bottom...u don't get that at most triathlons starts!
Swim
  • 19m 30s
  • 800 meters
  • 02m 26s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started out thinking 'take it easy, u haven't swam in a month' I quickly duct-taped the mouth of that 'angel' on my shoulder. I listen to the devil and swam like jaws was behind me and hasn't had a tasty human morsel in a long time.

I don't know where i got the idea that i had to finish in under 20min. BUT i muscled it in the last several hundred yards...i was in the 'zone' "2more laps, 1.5 mminutes left...GO GO GO!!!" I did it! Under 20min.
What would you do differently?:

Should listened to the 'Angel'...disregarding my brain was probably stupid being my first swim in a while.
Transition 1
  • 10m
Comments:

Got outta the pool..."where is my towel???!!!' No towel today. DAMN! Breifly rinsed the chlorine off me. Dripped myself to my locker where their happended to be a zillion others there...the odds. Missed my combination 2wice. I received some odd looks drying off myself with my work shirt which stinks on its own right (chem lab). My oversized gym bag keeps falling off of those narrow little benches and I keep putting it back up. Finally done. Forgot a shirt too, so i had to wear my fuzzy jacket (hot).

COME PREPARED!
Bike
  • 37m
  • 13 miles
  • 21.08 mile/hr
Comments:

I thought this was GONNA DRAG!!! Indoor cycle trianing is THE WORST!!! BUT how did i get such great MPH's??? Well, i tricked out my bike eliminating the coefficient of friction in virtually all the components. I DID LEVEL ONE, NO HILLS!!! I was a puss today. Haven't biked sinc the summer and wanted to run in florida...wasn't gonna screw my legs up. I DID go to level 2 last 2/3rds. LUCKILY snl was hilarious and on closed caption. That got me through some rough riding. I also caught 'revenge of the nerds' its been awhile for that one and no words so it wasn't really funny.

Probably start my bike training A LITTLE sooner.
Transition 2
  • 05m
Comments:

Just hopped upstairs and did some quick stretching...especially the calves. I DID feel my rubbery legs a little.
Run
  • 30m
  • 3 miles
  • 10m  min/mile
Comments:

Rubber legged man never really made an appearance. Bike was prolly TOOOOO easy. First 15minutes went ok. Walked for 2.5minutes then started up. THAT IS WHEN I RAN OUT OF RESERVES! Started getting cramps and tired. "Where are the water hander-outers???" I think my body went into catabolism as i didn't have a lot to eat today. The last 15minutes went SSSLLLLLOOOOOWWWWWWWW!!!!!!! WHY do they put the biggest clock in the world on the wall...you can't NOT see it every lap and think "damn...i seem to be experiencing time reversal on this run...am i in the right dimension???" I would be happier not knowing the time OR run with a TV in front of me...the logistics MAY not work for that though.. Maybe I should use blinders next time. Oh...I forgot to mention...had some chafing going on from the beginning...ahhhh! frequent readjustments never really helped me or how the other people started forming opinions about me by watching my adjustment antics. Oh well...it wasn't that bad, at least i didn't scream like a little girl in the shower as the sweaty salt and soap hit the sensitive area.

Eat a lot better, 5-6 meals a day. Need to get some proper running gear so i don't chafe. I refuse to where those tight spanadex shorts. Hopefully when back from Florida will giddy-up.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk, 5minute stretch, walk. My parents surpised us by getting our old freinds together for dinner that night. I noshed! Had some sam adams to wash the palate off. yum. Feel good now...achilles is good...teh stretcing a lot before and after has eliminated the problem. Just gotta keep my training conservative.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

First race of my season. Have only been really running semi consistently. I have a lot of work to do for my 1/2IM for september 2004. BUT this did allow me to establish baseline for future comparison and progress monitoring. Should do this once a month. kudos to triplethreat.

Event comments:

Definitely do a mock tri to test yourself. You will be surprised on what you find out. Although the conditions of indoor cycling won't be like on a bike, you can get a good feeling.

Last updated: 2003-12-22 8:36 AM
Swimming
00:19:30 | 800 meters | 02m 26s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 1/1
Performance: Good
Did 3 freestyle to 1 breast-stroke.
Suit: Trunks
Course: Just me and my lane.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Shot
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 10:00
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:37:00 | 13 miles | 21.08 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
80-85 rpms AVG
Wind: None
Course: Lifecycle, 3 TV's. Football, Comedy Central and SNL. Lots of cuties in front of me on the treadmill and bikes. I stayed in the corner with the only bike with some traps as I looked and probalby smelled odd.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 83
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 05:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:30:00 | 03 miles | 10m  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: I HATE OVALS.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2003-12-22 8:36 AM

User image

Champion
Subject: BT Cold Christmas Holiday Mock Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » BT Cold Christmas Holiday Mock Triathlon Rss Feed