General Discussion Triathlon Talk » intense pain on ball of foot, worse after biking Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-09-19 4:04 PM

Subject: intense pain on ball of foot, worse after biking
Any and all thoughts, stories, ideas, referrals would be much appreciated re my excruciating metatarsal foot pain that seems to worsen from biking, more than running these days. This is something I have always had to deal with on some level but much worse now and I feel like I've tried it all, met pads, cleat placement, custom orthotics, ART grrrr. I 'm wondering if I'd be better off not clipping in to my bike but that's so lame Although it hurts on the bike it's my runs that get ruined and I am concerned about stress fracture ( I am going to have MRI/x-ray done this week) Anyone else had to deal with this, any ideas about padding, shoes, cleat placement????
THanks

2010-09-20 8:56 AM
in reply to: #3106916

Subject: RE: intense pain on ball of foot, worse after biking
hmm is this such a boring question that nobody has even read it?? If this topic has already been discussed, could somebody direct me to the appropriate thread.
Thanks
2010-09-25 2:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota, Florida
Find out what the MRI/xray says.  It could be a number of different conditions, and since you've already tried met pads and other normal fixes then you should go to the next step.  Which you are.  If nothing shows up, then you have to really play detective.  If something does appear on the films then you likely have your answer.  Just keep on with your plan.  Good luck!
2010-09-25 6:26 PM

thanks, yeah I did have x ray and nothing showed up--which is really good, the recommendation...
surgery---surprise Well I don't agree with that, I refuse to believe it is the only answer so I'm back to soaking in ice baths;massage, ART, met pads etc etc!!!
2010-09-28 1:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota, Florida
Yes, good that there is not obvious fracture.  A stress fracture could cause your symptoms and not show up on an xray - CT scan, MRI, or bone scan should catch that.  Also, xrays don't really show soft tissue all that well.  If you have (for example) a neuroma or a cyst then that wouldn't appear on an xray.  

One thing that happened with me was that my biking socks were too tight.  They squished the end of my foot together and caused a lot of numbness by the end of the ride.  I stopped wearing socks, no more numbness.  Maybe something similar caused not by shoe or cleat placement but sock/shoe fit?
2010-09-30 6:24 PM

Massachusetts
Hi, so they see nothing on the xray and mri but yet they want to do surgery. 1st you need a new Dr. his practice must be slow and he's lagging behind on surgeries, or he's a witch Dr. Ok all joking aside have you tried accupunture, I did it for my PF and for a multiple of other injuries.

midessa7

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » intense pain on ball of foot, worse after biking Rss Feed