United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 57m 33s
Overall Rank = 147/371
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 30/56
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early at 3:30 AM, and left the house at 4:00 for the 2 1/2 hour drive. Didn't like being up so that early and being hungry already since the race wouldn't start until 9:30. So ate 1/2 a bagel around 4:30, the other half around 5:30, then ate my normal cereal and an apple once I got there and checked in.

They were warning about long lines, so I wanted to get there once check-in opened. I got there and the only people ahead of me was a blind guy doing a relay (good for him!), who they gave the wrong packet to the night before (that's really bad), somebody helping him, and me. Wish I slept an extra hour!

So set up my stuff, went back to the car, turned on the heat (only about 45 at this point), and listened to Van Halen and Rush!

Had a gel while I was talking to some of the other Pgh Tri Club folks about 20 mins before my wave. Also noticed that one of the guys who was racing the HIM the next day had the same sunglasses as .... Oh No! Forgot to get them out of my bag!
Event warmup:

Jogged about 1/4 mile around an hour before the start. Maybe I need to warm up more
Swim
  • 25m 23s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 33s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started off to the side, but at the front to try to stay away from the crowd. Worked well for going out to the turn. Once I rounded the turtle though (yes a giant inflatable turtle!), had all sorts of trouble with the traffic. Every time I got into a good rhythm, I swam right into bubbles of someone in front, or right into them. Looking back I should have gone back to the outside - don't know why I didn't think of that at the time.

I was actually very surprised that I kept passing so many in my wave throughout the whole last half of the swim. Maybe they started out too strong and couldn't keep their pace. I tried to just be steady the whole time.

That was really the only high point of the day.
What would you do differently?:

Train more - really haven't done enough, and this could have been even better. Go back outside when I had traffic trouble.
Transition 1
  • 04m 40s
Comments:

Total disaster.

Coming out of the water, I must have looked like a lunatic, bent over, sprinting up the beach and hill passing so many people! Actually I was tumbling forward, and trying to stay upright by keeping my legs in front of me! Turned out to be a very effective 25 yd sprint until I caught myself!

Once I finally got my suit off, and timing chip back on, the hunt was on for my sunglasses! At least I knew I would be searching for them, and they are in an inside pocket. Trouble was, in my rush, and stretching to get to the bag, I couldn't find the pocket!

So eventually got them, completely flustered and left.

Double check, triple check! My bike was set up 2 1/2 hours before transition was closed, and I completely blew it.
Bike
  • 1h 22m 9s
  • 22.9 miles
  • 16.73 mile/hr
Comments:

Started up the first hill out of T1, and my only thought was, "Whoa, what's the matter here?" My legs were cooked and tired, and I wasn't even 30" into the race. Caught my breath, but just didn't have anything. Unfortunately this was the theme for the whole ride.

Passed plenty of folks, but that was mainly because I was in the 4th and last wave, so there were lots of people ahead. But just didn't have zip at all. Didn't really have much a problem on the normal hills, or the long 5% one. But then the two big ones this year were on the back half of the course.

(This course was different than last year. The two biggest hills last year were within the first 8 miles of the start. These two weren't until the last half of the course. Made this year's course tougher.)

Hit the first hill, called Bumblebee, and wanted to stop and walk it. I couldn't believe that nobody else was! So because of that, I kept going, and I passed a lot of people. I changed cassettes this year from an 11-23 to an 11-25, so I was surprised I was still passing so many. But it was killing me. Others must be on compacts, or triples, or 27s or something, who knows - certainly isn't my skill.

Got past that, and a guy came up who I passed and complimented me on my climbing! I was so out of breath, all I could say was that was a killer! I wanted to ask him what cassette he had, but I couldn't get it out.

Then the next hill came shortly after that. I didn't have it in me at all. Got a little ways up, and had to stop and walk it. Sure enough, hardly anyone went by, but it still would have been nice to make it up. Got to the top, had fresh legs, and zipped by anybody within range!

Messed up a bit coming in. I marked the point in my head where I wanted to have a gel towards the end of the ride. But of course the bike course didn't hit that point again, so I had the gel later than I wanted.

Cruised in on the downhills, still struggled on the uphills. Saw my friend from the Pgh Tri Club, Chad Holderbaum, flying towards the end of his run (he got 3rd overall). Pretty cool I got to hear his name announced while I was in T2 as he finished! Good luck to him in Kona! Qualifed with a 9:40 in Lake Placid! Wow!

Train more. Have the natural advantage of the hills here, but it didn't pan out today.

and....

Not be sick! Turns out on Sunday, woke up with a terrible cold, and completely drained that my family all had the last few days before the race. I didn't feel any symptoms during the race, but I think the drained feelings and weakness in my legs was from it. Felt dreadful on Sun & Mon, and just feeling better on Tue.

(That's my excuse anyway!)
Transition 2
  • 02m 32s
Comments:

Really hate this set up. There were two transition areas - like that. Didn't like that I was in the lower one and had to get off the bike above the upper one, dismount on the hill, run down the hill past the other transition to the bottom one, then turn into it. Everyone in the age group had the same issue, so can't complain that it affected my position at all, but just struggled running downhill in bike shoes, controlling the bike.

Learn to leave my shoes clipped in.
Run
  • 1h 02m 51s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Just a miserable run again. Started off okay, but quickly slowed down. Had to walk partway up the first big hill. Ran all the other up and down rolling hills (including the long 3/4 mile upward slope between miles 2 and 3. Got to the steep fire trail hill, and had no chance, so just walked quickly up that.

Passed some of the others from the Pgh Tri Club, and with two turn around points, got to see them a few times, so that was great encouragment. Really cool to have a cheering section coming in at the finish from a couple who finished and their families!

One of the others from the club finished 11 seconds behind me - plus we were in the same wave so he was tracking me down!

Train on the hills more. And get in more and longer bike rides. I'm not coming off the bike strong enough anymore. I should easily be able to do 9:00/mi on this course, but just didn't have it at all today.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, sat in the shade, stretched, cheered on others who were finishing.

Good food as always there!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall lack of training. My time turned out to be exactly 20" faster than last year! My training is way down from a year ago though, so that really shows me how much better I should be doing.

Event comments:

This is a top notch race! Awesome volunteers, plenty of police and volunteers at all the intersections, great support. Lots of people cheering you on up the hills in all sorts of costumes! Love it!

Great scenery as well over all the rolling hills and mountains in MD!

Last updated: 2010-08-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:23 | 1640 yards | 01m 33s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/56
Overall: 65/371
Performance: Good
Suit: Full Xterra Wetsuit
Course: Clockwise loop in lake
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:40
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:22:09 | 22.9 miles | 16.73 mile/hr
Age Group: 30/56
Overall: 143/371
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Leave transition and start on your first uphill within 10 feet. That 100 yard hill is just a little warm up for the rest of the course. It's a mixture of slopes, rolling hills, and hills. 3 of them were a 5% grade for 1 mile, and two of them at 11% for 1/2 mile or more.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:32
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:02:51 | 06.21 miles | 10m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 42/56
Overall: 221/371
Performance: Bad
Course: Rolling hills through the park, with two larger hills - one around 1 1/2 miles up pavement, and the other one is 1/4 mile up a trail at the 4 mile marker. Primarily pavement, with some gravel, and the one up and down the dirt/rocky trail. Very nicely shaded!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-09-21 12:39 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
Subject: Savageman International

2010-09-21 1:18 PM
in reply to: #3110092

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
Subject: RE: Savageman International
Forgot to mention - this was my last race in the 40-44 age group...

Boo!

Somebody get me a walking stick. Cool
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Savageman International Rss Feed