General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Timex Ironman Global Trainer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-09-28 8:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Trois-Rivières,Quebec,Canada
Subject: New Timex Ironman Global Trainer
Hi Folks,

I would like to buy another wrist trainer (computer). I have the garmin 305 I realy like it but one thing is very bad, it can't go in water. So when I do a tri I have to put my watch on after my swim on transition 1. So I look for another one it can go in water. I saw the new timex but don't know if it's good or not or stay in garmin for the 405CX or something like that.

Do you use them and what is your advice about those.

Thanks folks

2010-09-28 8:52 PM
in reply to: #3122899

User image

Subject: RE: New Timex Ironman Global Trainer
Franky45 - 2010-09-28 9:41 PM Hi Folks,

I would like to buy another wrist trainer (computer). I have the garmin 305 I realy like it but one thing is very bad, it can't go in water. So when I do a tri I have to put my watch on after my swim on transition 1. So I look for another one it can go in water. I saw the new timex but don't know if it's good or not or stay in garmin for the 405CX or something like that.

Do you use them and what is your advice about those.

Thanks folks

The FR405 is on the same water plan as the FR305 - so you'll probably want to avoid that.  Both the Timex Global Trainer and the 310XT are water-friendly.  The FR310XT has the new openwater swim mode, but largely speaking it's not yet accurate enough.  So you're looking at swim caps either way to accurately measure distance.

Beyond these two watches, there aren't many options that do everything you want (and that are waterproof).

Here's my consolidated recommendations though...
2010-09-28 9:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Trois-Rivières,Quebec,Canada
Thanks dcrainmaker for your comment. I know about the 310xt but it steel big a bit if you put it on for swimming whit a wetsuit and it's difficult to take off the wet at the end. So we steel have the problem. That's why I'm looking for a small kind of watch not to big. I think it will be better.

If you have more idea about that folks give me an answere of your personnal experience.
2010-09-28 9:50 PM
in reply to: #3122950

User image

As someone who owned the TGT before returning it to get the 31XT, I was not very happy with the TGT. It is a pretty watch, but I think Timex has some stuff to work out before making it on par with the 310XT.

TGT:
(-) Not accurate, it drops signal alot (I mean like alot) despite a clear view
(-) Very easy to hit buttons unless you lock it but that is a pain in the butt
(-) Not as handy as the 310XT when it comes to switching between sports
(-) It is actually a pretty big watch (not so much an issue for me) and not that different from the 310XT

310XT
I am so glad I switched to this watch and have no regrets.
(+) with the swim cap for open water along with quick release it truely is the tri watch. I snap on off at will and so easy to transition.
(+) I like the features it has that Garmin does well like virtual partner.
(+) Done a few smaller tris and HIM with it and performs very well
(+) Battery life is solid, did a HIM and no doubt would hold for a IM
(+) I love the vibrate feature, esp when I put it in my swim cap, I can hit a button and know I did when it vibrates or set alerts for every mile on the run or 5 miles on bike (my way of pacing myself)

Maybe I am bias but my vote is for the 310XT. It came out mid 2009, so probably around for abit longer.
2010-09-28 10:12 PM
in reply to: #3122978

User image

While one of the items IZLude noted have been fixed (Sat dropouts) - the rest of his items are spot on.

Size-wise, the 310XT and TGT are basically identical.  There are tiny milimeter differences in where each one protrudes - but size wise they're the same (you can see this in my TGT review with the rollingpin pictures).

The 310XT is definitely more polished than the TGT, and it's also more versatile.  While Timex has acknowledged they're looking to fix both of these items in the next release, that won't happen until sometime in the spring.  They want to refresh the TGT 'As soon as possible' - but if you're looking to buy a watch for this seasons (running, or a bit left of tri's) - then the 310XT is your best bet.  Undoubtedly Garmin will also refresh their 310XT as well next spring - making for an interesting shootout.
2010-09-29 1:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Ft Campbell, Kentucky
I have the Timex, the part I like about it is I can wear it all day as both a workout watch and a everyday tell time watch.

It is a tad big for everyday use, but I got used to it pretty quick

I have not had it drop sats yet, even at Steelhead this year.

It seems to pick up sats quicker then the 405cx I had.

I also like the 4 window display.

2010-09-29 2:44 PM

User image

Chicago
I haven't used them but in doing my research for an HRM that works in all thre tri disciplines I found the Polar RS800CX MULTI and the Suunto t6c GPS pack (around $350 each).

I know two people who have the Timex Ironman Global Trainer.  The one LOVES it.  The other HATES it and returned it.  The one that hated it thought it didn't work properly in the water.  The one that loved it didn't agree...  I'm sure that didn't help at all, sorry...
2010-09-29 9:43 PM
in reply to: #3123003

User image

Veteran
Denver
dcrainmaker - 2010-09-28 9:12 PM While one of the items IZLude noted have been fixed (Sat dropouts) - the rest of his items are spot on.

Size-wise, the 310XT and TGT are basically identical.  There are tiny milimeter differences in where each one protrudes - but size wise they're the same (you can see this in my TGT review with the rollingpin pictures).

The 310XT is definitely more polished than the TGT, and it's also more versatile.  While Timex has acknowledged they're looking to fix both of these items in the next release, that won't happen until sometime in the spring.  They want to refresh the TGT 'As soon as possible' - but if you're looking to buy a watch for this seasons (running, or a bit left of tri's) - then the 310XT is your best bet.  Undoubtedly Garmin will also refresh their 310XT as well next spring - making for an interesting shootout.

DC,

Your blog ROCKS!!! 
THANKS  for all the time & effort you put into the equipment reviews. I've added your blog to my "favorites"list, so I can keep up with all your reviews.

I've pretty much made my choice between the Timex IM global Trainer & Garmin 310XT............thanks to your in depth reviews on each device, as well as the side-by-side comparison of 4-5 GPS/HRM.  I still see alot of people doggin' the Timex. But, I think that's because they have the earlier version.

Thanks again & keep up the GREAT work!!

Edited by Dino019 2010-09-29 9:45 PM
2010-10-19 5:42 PM

User image

Regular
I have the 310xt and the Timex Global Trainer.

The 310xt has more workout functions but in all honesty, with the price, I can't wrap around my head that I could only use the garmin for workouts. Which is probably why I tend to use the timex more since I could use it as an everyday watch for the price.

Edited by daharryone 2010-10-19 5:56 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Timex Ironman Global Trainer Rss Feed